Low speeds over Wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter deepak77
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,186

deepak77

ISP
Airtel 16Mbps
Recently i upgraded my broadband to a 16Mbps Airtel plan. I have a Wireless 54g ADSL2+ Modem provided by Airtel , its about 2 years old ( Manufactured by SemIndia Systems , Model DNA2011).When i connect my laptop via the Ethernet cable directly to the modem, and run speedtest.net , i get the promised speed of 16Mbps.But when connecting via Wifi , the maximum speed i see is 8-10Mbps.Wondering why is that so? I tried fiddling around with some of the advanced settings on the Modem like 54g Rate, multicast rate, XPress™ Technology, 54g Mode..etc , yet the max i can hit is 8Mbps over Wifi.My laptop is the only device connected , and i dont have any cordless phones/microwaves that can interfere. I even changed the channel from 1 to 11, but in vain.

I guess the router just doesnt have enough throughput. What value does the connection properties window show ?

Probably thats right, because i used to get the speeds on Wifi when i was on a 4Mbps plan . After the upgrade to the 16Mbps plan , the max i get over Wifi is 10 Mbps , and this is when my laptop is sitting right near the router and there are no avenues for interference as well. I am going to get a 802.11n Wifi router and connect it to the existing one after disabling its wifi.