• Thread starter Thread starter draog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,699

draog

Regular
ISP
BSNL
There is some info/alert on the net that hotmail.com is being renamed as OUTLOOK.com and providing some interface to convert hotmaildotcom mail IDs to outlookdotcom mail_ids. It in turn disables HOTMAIL userids. is it a trap by outlookdotcom or microsoft is genuinely providing this new interface ?

mmm. you can use your existing hotmail.com address at outlook.com. you can also create a new outlook.com address and migrate your content from hotmail.com to outlook.com.

Sushubh, Even I assumed so earlier. But after logging into mail into outlookdotcom, when I checked the security certificate, it appears completely different(Issuer and Subject-Key) from what it used to be on hotmail(Issuer-Verisign and Subject-Key).. When I googled for this change, I find some news reports that are all dated 31-jul-12 by some vague bloggers. Do you have any AUTHENTIC site/source that corroborates what U-and-I think abt conversion to outlookdotcom ? Pls help..

well i just know that hotmail branding would be eventually discarded. but mails sent to your hotmail account would continue to arrive on your outlook.com account.

it is similar to how Apple changed their email service from mac.com to me.com to icloud.com something like that.

i do not see why this is such a big cause for concern? it is their own service they can rebrand it if they want to 😕

they are of course not forcing you to create a new outlook.com account. i created it manually. i assume that a lot of people created outlook.com ids similar to ids on hotmail for other people. so i am not sure how it would work out for them if they eventually plan to kill @hotmail.com address.

this means that both the domains could continue to exist. which is not a big deal for microsoft as they have supported email creations on hundreds of stupid domains.

lol. just found out that microsoft killed coolhotmail.com pretty soon after launching it in india. they were offering live accounts on tons of domains...

Do you have any AUTHENTIC site/source that corroborates our thoughts, assumptions and inferences ?

errm. there is no conspiracy. hotmail has a bad reputation in the market. outlook has an excellent reputation. microsoft want people to forget about hotmail and think about outlook. makes a lot of sense. there is no reason otherwise they launched outlook.com and enabled it for hotmail.com accounts as well. people look at you strangely if you use hotmail as your primary email account. that is not going to happen with outlook.com 😀

lol. they used very careful words at launch. made no indications that they want to get rid of the hotmail brand but it is clear considering the overall reputation of the platform which has been rather derogatory for a couple of years now 😀

I jumped on to their @live domain earlier. Seems like they have completely forgotten about them. Though i still use Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook. Feels much better.

man you are still lucky. based on reports i read online, they discarded tons of domains offered through coolhotmail service. people lost their emails and accounts both.

I still have a coolmail.in (Dont use it much, but its still accesible from hotmail.com)

Also, what if someone else had created an outlook.com ID? How can they just discard a completely different person's @hotmail.com ID?

I would believe what you say on this. Would be happier if I could here it on a MICROSOFT source.

By habit I still go to hotmail.com & when I login, it takes me to outlook.com interface. So no "conspiracy" here.

The worst case what I expect will happen in this case is that they will tell me that @hotmail.com is no longer available & choose an @outlook.com ID, in which case, they cannot by default expect it to be merged with the outlook.com I have, rather they would probably give one of the random suggestions.

yeah. i mentioned earlier that outlook.com ids are not blocked for people who have the same id on hotmail. so i do not see hotmail.com email ids disappearing. it is similar to how yahoo mail has yahoo.com, ymail.com and rocketmail.com 😀

Ok. Now its out of preview and now if one visits hotmail. They are clearly suggesting people to upgrade to outlook. But,

Outlook Blog - Upgrade from Hotmail to Outlook.com

Important: Don't sign-up for a new account; just sign-in with your existing Hotmail account. You don't need to change your address to use Outlook; in fact, if you sign-up for a new address, there is no way to combine or merge that new account with your old account.

Also

All your data and settings just work

When you upgrade to Outlook.com from Hotmail, you get the new Outlook.com service, and you keep everything about your account intact:

Your email address continues to work - no need to change it
You will continue to sign-in with your @hotmail.com using the same password
All your devices will continue to work, including your phone and the Outlook client with the Outlook Connector
You retain all of your contacts - no extra steps to take
You retain all of your folders, categories, flagged messages, rules, etc.
Your signature and vacation reply come with you
Your settings for things such as Reading Pane and Arrange By Conversation stay the same