Need prove that Airtel may be throttling/shaping my bandwidth

• Thread starter Thread starter wR2g4vdTjL5d
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 6,139

wR2g4vdTjL5d

Regulars
Ok..So I recently migrated from a 4 Mbps plane to an 8 Mbps plan. Since then, I have always had the stinking feeling that Airtel might be throttling my bandwidth. I have a public facing server from which I download on to my server at home. I never get my line speed of 8 Mbps when doing downloading off it. I used to, with my earlier plan. But not now.

On Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test , it shows up great as 8 Mbps and on certain more popular sites its fine as well.

To check where is the issue, I am using this link to download a file -- http://mirror.nl.leaseweb.net/speedtest/100mb.bin

I am getting very unsatisfactory results. Can you guys try the link and tell me what speeds you get. Line speeds or lower than it.

Thanks !!

how do you check the speed of download?

ok let me tell you the reality. not all the servers in the world would give you similar speeds. if you want to check speeds, download ISO of Ubuntu from their servers. download big files from microsoft.com. and stuff like that. i am easily touching 460KBps on my 4mbps line on the link you posted above. in reality, airtel is only required to give you 80% of speeds from their gateways. though thankfully they have started accepting speedtests from speedtest.com for testing purposes.

Here is a very weird issue. When I download this file using - Firefox's default download manager ..I get under 3 Mbps. - Using wget on my NAS server..I get under 3 Mbps.- Using Download Them All add on for Firefox...I get almost full line speeds...8 Mbps.Of course I am only running one test at a time !What am I missing here ?Will try with Ubuntu ISOs in a while.

I am getting around 500 KBPS on that file. NL servers are usually fine. It's the OVH servers from FR that suck at times in terms of speeds/routing.

stop wasting precious bandwidth on airtel broadband doing these tests.

dedicated download managers would start multiple streams and would get faster speeds on downloads.

browser download managers do not start multiple threads. wget i believe is able download through multiple threads but would probably still not match a dedicated download manager.

in any case, internet on airtel is indeed throttled (torrents during day time). so there is ample proof about that. if you plan to sue airtel for doing this, you have my support.

OK...found the following.....wget doesnt support multiple threads. I was using aria2c (which supports multiple threads) on my NAS server. I passed incorrect options to aria2c for multiple threads. Corrected it now, and getting reasonable speeds now.

Cool. Just don't waste data experimenting with random services. Speedtest.net usually is fairly accurate. :-D

off topic, but thanks for lw test file wanted to test my speeds , roughly the same set up as yours but am on a 1giga home line btw aria2c is totally awesome if configured correctly 🙂

my results using wget
Connecting to mirror.nl.leaseweb.net|20xxxxxxxxxx]|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 100000000 (95M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: â100mb.bin.1â

100%[======================================>] 100,000,000 63.8M/s in 1.5s

2012-09-09 20:22:13 (63.8 MB/s) - â100mb.bin.1â

in any case, internet on airtel is indeed throttled (torrents during day time). so there is ample proof about that. if you plan to sue airtel for doing this, you have my support.

Off topic, but I get full speed (4 mbps) on torrents at all times. They are from private trackers. Public trackers usually do not hit that speed. I think that's because lot of public tracker seeders/clients are monitoring bots run by anti piracy firms.

Also according to this data - Glasnost: Results from Tests for BitTorrent Traffic Shaping - none of the Indian ISPs throttle bittorent. You can use that site to check if the traffic is being throttled.

airtel definitely throttle torrents during the day time. not everyone is affected but majority of their customers are. throttling is not perfect. i have had days when it works fine during the day time. but most airtel users here would tell you that torrent downloads are very heavily throttled during day time.

as for glasnost... it does not show throttling even on my connection. i can only say that airtel is probably using a different technology to do the same. and there are reports showing that some users have seen the test show positive result to them. https://broadband.forum/airtel-broadband/80713-33-tests-airtel-shows-deep.html

I have always got 100% speed when using a private tracker and maybe 30-100% speed using public trackers. This has been consistent for last two years. It will be interesting to test with the same torrent.

maybe you are one of the lucky few who have somehow escaped their throttling. enough people have posted here about the slowdown between 10am and 10pm. i have myself confirmed several times. same torrent started at 9pm would download at around 12-15KBps but as soon as it reaches 10:15pm... speeds would start peaking at 400-450KBps.