Things I need to know before getting FiveNet?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shah Jahan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,689

Shah Jahan

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband
Hello.My MTNL 3G unlimited scheme expired and now I'm considering getting FiveNet. They told me that there will be a non-refundable installation cost of Rs. 1200 and then Rs. 620 for 1mbps MONTHLY, and for 2 mbps YEARLY it will be 7500 + 12.36% taxes and for 5 mbps 10500 + taxes. They also said that they offer hub.I was considering the 2mbps yearly plan and want to know,1) How is the service in Reay Road (Byculla East)?2) Do they offer the speeds they advertize?3) Do they have good up-times?4) What is a hub? Is it like DC++? What speeds does hub offer?5) I've read on this forum that different routers offer different performance. Do I have to buy a router or will they provide it?6) What are your experiences (good & bad) with FiveNet?Sorry for so many questions, but since this is an yearly commitment, I would like to know before I pay such an amount.Thank you very much for your help.

I am using Fivenet since last 2 years, on the 1 mbps plan. I get download speeds of around 100-110 KBps.Yes, Hub is DC++ and other file sharing softwares popularly used over LAN. LAN is quite good with total sharing of almost 200+ TB at peak times. You don't need to download any media stuff from web, as everything is available on LAN. Average download speeds on LAN are around 5-6 MBps through LAN port or 2-3 MBps via wireless router (again depending upon the router and range)Also, while downloading or viewing videos on Youtube, you get speeds in excess of 1-2 MBps, irrespective of the plan, because Fivenet caches (I think so) most of the popular videos on the website. Same with downloading apps from Google PlayStore.Apart from Fivenet, I also have a backup MTNL connection (basic Rs 50 per month), as Fivenet has some downtimes, specifically in monsoon.

Thanks for your reply.Since you said 'depending on your router', do we have to buy one or does FiveNet provide one? If they do, then do they charge rental for it?Just 5-6 MB/s on LAN? I thought that LAN should give speeds of 100MB/s!I wish to use wired so as to get best speeds and more reliability on monsoon seasons. How much downtimes are there in monsoon? And is it only for wireless or for wired too? Is it for few minutes for several hours/days of downtime?Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

5-6 MB/s = 40-48 mbits. for recent content i usually get 9-10Mb/s which equates to 72-80 mbits/s. no lan will ever give u 100mbits/s due to overheads. youtube is usually around 4-6MB/s. downtime depends on ur local operator and how good his network is. fwiw i rarely get downtimes. monsoon or no monsoon.

I should warn you that when I was on the 5mbps plan at my office (in Goregaon), the download would start and reach 5mbps but then slow down and sustain max speed of 270KB/s with only intermittent bursts to 500KB/s again. I've since switched over to the 2mbps plan and I get ~230KB/s sustained. But I've gotten hub speeds of 3-4MB/s throughout.

Thanks for your reply svagyan. I'm going for a 1mbps connection and if I find the service good enough then I'd go for a 2mbps yearly connection. They installed the cable to my home three days back but even till today they have not yet started with the connection. I keep calling everyday and they say that they will do it today, but they never do. After some search I found that their connection is down for the past several days in my area! This is not a good start for me!

Can someone confirm if 5net is available waghbil area,thane?Am stuck with tikona...