Require Info on Videocon DVR Box and packages !!

• Thread starter Thread starter gaurang08
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,932

gaurang08

Regular
ISP
you telecom
Since digitization will kick in on 31st Oct 2012 I have to buy a connection for my second tv .. I have a Tata Sky hd plus but im not buying one more since they are unable to add new hd channels ... I think videocon is the best choice right now , I considerd hathway but they dont have a dvr and I want a DVR only ..So a few questions :-1) Is the DVR box of videocon good ?? I read somewhere that they have launched a new box of 500 gb but I dont see that anywhere in the website .2) What is the capacity of the current DVR ??3) Can we record 2 programs simultaneous like tatasky in videocon dvr ?? Eg:- If I need to record 2 programs in tatasky hd plus say Sony and zee . Then I leave my stb on sony and record that program and even zee program gets recorded .. Is this possible in videocon ??4) I want all the channels .. So is the 461.80 rs pack pm worth it ??5) Should I wait for diwali and see if they launch some better schemes or book my connection end of this month ??These are all the questions I can think of right now . Please guide guys ..

Whatever question you have... ask it on their FB page... They will give u info about everything!

A couple of things, there is a GSAT10 launch in September (Wiki says 21 September), but it might be a while before they are able to get channels actually up & running. Cost-wise, expect them to be more expensive than D2H. D2H is planning to buy Hyderabad I-P-L team, I am not sure if some of the costs will be passed to D2H subscribers. I do not have a DVR, but as for the 4th point. Yes, the package is worth it. But, I have a suggestion here, ultimately it makes sense to have a single provider for multiple TVs, simply because of the economics. For 600+ rupees you would get all channels in both TVs, whereas for different provident providers you need to shell out 400+ each. I was having 2 providers (Airtel & Dish) & did the same - moved both to D2h. I am not saying "choose d2h". But economically, better be with a single provider.Also, DVR availability was an issue when I booked earlier this year. Not sure about the situation now.

DVRs - right now theres a lot of uncertainty about it. Their CC still insists that DVR is available for purchase, but when u actually go around, u dont find any. And if u r having TS connection already, then as Sabir said - consider the "incremental" costs of that second connection, vs the full cost of a D2h connection. U might still end up saving on ur monthly bills.If u really want channels, and cant just wait any longer, then convert both ur connections to D2h.......bottomline - dont have 2 different connections.

So a few questions :-

1) Is the DVR box of videocon good ?? I read somewhere that they have launched a new box of 500 gb but I dont see that anywhere in the website .

Ans : Its good but better one are TS & ADTV. New DVR is not out and will take some 1-2 months more time to come into market. You may easily see the Display boxes of 500 GB DVR in nearby e-zone or chroma stores.

2) What is the capacity of the current DVR ??

Ans : 160 GB and 200 hours of SD Recording

3) Can we record 2 programs simultaneous like Tata Sky in videocon dvr ?? Eg:- If I need to record 2 programs in tatasky hd plus say Sony and zee . Then I leave my stb on sony and record that program and even zee program gets recorded .. Is this possible in videocon ??

Ans: Yes, 2 programs can be recorded at same time but 3rd can't be watched simultaneously. You have to watch any one of the two recording going on.

4) I want all the channels .. So is the 461.80 rs pack pm worth it ??

Ans: Yes, It contains all channels. I hope you are not South Indian and expecting all Tamil , Malayalam and Telugu channels bcoz they are having separate add-on but for ROI packs Platinum HD contains all channels except TEN Cricket .

5) Should I wait for diwali and see if they launch some better schemes or book my connection end of this month ??

Ans: Yes, if not Diwali then atleast wait for new DVR as current is outdated and its not worth to invest so much amount in it.

Thank you so much mhsabir, jaymin and IM ...I think I will anyways wait till Nov - Dec sorts and see what happens .. Maybe be by then TS will add 1-2 HD channels more .. Also my other cable provider incable has come out with hd box but they too have just 7 hd channels so maybe after digitization they will add all possible hd channels like videocon , hathway , 7 star etc ...

If the cable guy in ur area is good, and the effective costs are within a range from ur DTH costs, plus it has a DVR, then cable is to be selected anyday over DTH.

Hathway DVR will be launched in about 1-2 months time periodYou have the advantages of 21 hd channels and low cost + same/better quality than dth

The costs are low from the Operator end. But when the local guy is added into the picture, the costs shoot up very quickly. There are people who i have heard saying that their costs for 1 TV effectively touches 10k pa, if they go for digital cable line. Add to that the troubles of interacting with a nonsense cable guy. These 2 factors are not the same in all areas.Thats why i gave these 2 points a conditions initially. Like in my area, the guy is such that even if Incablenet comes out with 40 HD channels, with recording, and the cost is less than any DTH player, still i will not opt for the cable line. Such is that fellow here!

If the cable guy in ur area is good, and the effective costs are within a range from ur DTH costs, plus it has a DVR, then cable is to be selected anyday over DTH.

oh ok thanks for this info ..

Hathway DVR will be launched in about 1-2 months time period

You have the advantages of 21 hd channels and low cost + same/better quality than dth

who told u mate ?? there is no news of dvr .. they are saying 2-3 months from past 7 -8 months ..

Oh great! So may be i wud put it that way - Someone who is equivalent to ur level, isnt doing a great job in our area! 😀 U might be doing, but he is not. Btw, u r from which area in Mumbai?

I am from malad , and as per info recieved to us , there will be no separate dvr stb , supported hard disk and software update will do the work of dvr on the existing HD stb