Frequent Disconnection Due To Voltage Fluctuations?

• Thread starter Thread starter randomboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 8,894

randomboy

ISP
mtnl
Hi Everybody,I have a mtnl unlimited connection in delhi.My problem is that there is disconnection every 10 mins or so . The ADSL light starts blinking and the connection never recovers itself after this.I use a D-Link GLB 502T router.I read in some forum that this might be a problem with the router that it disconnects even on slight voltage fluctuations. I have the power supply for the modem from the UPS itself.Can anybody shed some light on this?The MTNL line staff say that the line is working allright and there is no problem on that front.

yes its an old problem with these D-Link modems and they really suck coz of it, atleast for me. They will lose adsl link whenever there is a power cut/fluctuation inspite of being connected to the UPS. This is the reason why i took the UTstarcom modem, however very few people have noticed this problem here, maybe coz they dont keep the connection on 24x7 or maybe their power supply is more stable

The Line comes directly to the router after which I have the rest of the home phones.If it is a noisy line then it should reconnect after the connection has been lost. This does not happen.The Downstream line attenuation is quite high ( 63 db) but everytime i call up the lineman he asks for line to be checked and then says that the line is perfectly alright.I live in a society flat. He says that I need to get the wiring checked from the society to my flat.Do they check line only from the exchange to the society connection or do they check it upto the premises.

@i_love_you Even if its a long procedure I suggest you to post it here, it may be helpful for some other people also.

Also if its useful and if it works good we can ask the modz to make it a sticky....

sorry cannot pm as of now as i donot have the required no. of posts for it
QUOTE(i_love_you @ Oct 13 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]65174[/snapback]
yes dude same problem wit me also..yaar..but i solved itz a long procedure..jus pm me..i will tel u ...
[/b]

UTStarcom modem here stopped working a few days back after power went off and came back in a few seconds (because of central power backup which takes some seconds to kick in). Apart from this it has stopped for no reason 6-7 times since I got it in end August and often I had to wait an hour keeping it turned off before it started working again. I wonder if this is less problems with the modem than D-Link users 🙁 Another thing I'm hating about this modem is there is no user-base for it on the internet. No one's used it or heard of it seems. Complete lack of community support. MTNL is experimenting with the modem using us lol.

QUOTE(inetbum @ Oct 13 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]65202[/snapback]
UTStarcom modem here stopped working a few days back after power went off and came back in a few seconds (because of central power backup which takes some seconds to kick in). Apart from this it has stopped for no reason 6-7 times since I got it in end August and often I had to wait an hour keeping it turned off before it started working again. I wonder if this is less problems with the modem than D-Link users 🙁 Another thing I'm hating about this modem is there is no user-base for it on the internet. No one's used it or heard of it seems. Complete lack of community support. MTNL is experimenting with the modem using us lol.
[/b]
There is still some relief available to you inetbum as if it does not work atleast you can ask them to replace it . But with a problem like mine it is a hassle to try to return or change the modem from the seller. (lesson learnt after hole in the pocket 😉

Utstarcom doin a good job here infact better than dsl 502T. It remained online for a month, only to be rebooted coz of the the silly MTNL policy of rebooting at end of each month.

randomboy did you buy the modem from the market? I thought MTNL had given it to you. I was thinking of returning UTStarcom and buying 502T from the market but I will buy another one if I do hearing about its problems.

does mtnl take back modem? do they give any refund out of 500rs depositthey took for modem?

^^^I think deposit is non-refundable but yes they take back the modem, plz ensure that u take acknowledgement whenever u return the modem otherwise they will keep charging u Rs.80/month.I am sure u know mtnl billing... 😛

has any1 actually tried to return the modem? can u give info?if modem rent was still being deducted etc?thanks in advance

i dunno bot the refund but they do not thatke the modem backas i hav told this before alsoi had disconnect my phone n bb cause i was shifting n got my new connecion so they gave my phone ka check but they din took my modem + for the new connection i din opted for the modem n i got a one for free n that one was utstarcom!! cause its ben like 8 months now n i hav not being charged for that!!!so i hav D-Link paid 80 bucks for like 7-8 months n FREE UTSTARCOM FROM MTNL!!! 🙂