Slow Speeds USB 3.0

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 13033
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,380
D

Deleted member 13033

just got a WD MY Book, having USB 3.0.I am using it with my laptop Lenovo Z560. I am getting speeds of only 18MB/sec to 21MB/sec its connected to Esata/ USB 3.0 Port. On top of that I am getting fluctuating speeds on this form 18 to 21 ?On my Seagate which is just USB 2.0 one I get more speeds than this never less than 24MB/sec ? Speeds never fluctuate either here.HDD: 5400 rpmRead online somewhere, a guy on mac book air is getting 98MB/sec on his 5400 rpm hdd and he is unhappy about it lol Is this HDD faulty or something.... ??On WIn7Update: The website I was looking on has wrong info the laptop does not support USB 3.0.

Download hard disk checking utility from WD website ..I was facing the same issue and it turned out tht there were some bad sectors cos of which it was transferring at very slow speed ..So got it replaced and the new one worked fine ..

I found this WD Data Life Guard Diag. just started the full test it is showing it will take 22hrs to complete lolz.

so much time? luckily I found bad sectors before the utility got started ..I was getting some error message on running the utility .. On searching the error code it turned out cos of bad sector the utility wasn't able to start the test ..

mine is 2tB one maybe because of that... quick test i got a pass....extended one currently running ...showing 22hrs lolzdid u too use this one Life Guard Diag. ?i checked out on the net i am connected to USB 2.0 only since in 3.0 it goes to super speeds ( USB Root HUB ) in hubs and mine hasn't yet...and idk how to get it to 3.0 ....dam !do u see any Super Speeds showing on your hubs, when connected to 3.0 ?

Mine was 1tb which has 3.0 support.. and yeah I too used the same life guard diagnosis utility ..I don't have 3.0 usb port on my lappy .. So not much info abt tht ..I was facing the issue with 2.0 usb itself .. It was transferring at a speed of 3-4MB/sec .. So after exchanging the speed was fine ..

I think it is mostly WD fault what they have done is combined USB 2.0 and 3.0 on the same cable there should have been a dedicated 3.0 cable might just make things more simpler or atleast in win7 some option to enable only 3.0 instead of 2.0.

Must be a problem with your configuration. I have a WD Elements 1TB drive (2.5") which must be 5400 rpm as well. It has a single cable as well.

These are the speeds I am getting. What speeds does CrystalMark show for you?

Have you tried updating your motherboard drivers?

na haven't tried to play around with my motherboards drivers yet.... I am still running that diag. on that drive it is showing it will take another 15hrs to complete...

PLus was looking on the WD website apparently there is firmware upgrade to this which came out recently too on 8th Aug..... I am thinking about updating the firmware
also the drivers from the WD website ?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/firmware.asp?id=wdfMB30_Essential&os=WIN

I transferred some 60 GB date on this WD since my PC was filled now do I need to again transfer back these files to my PC for the firmware upgrade ?

Update: The website I was looking on has wrong info it laptop does not support USB 3.0. grr......damm....shall I still do these firmware and driver updates ?