• Views Views 1,398

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
How To Be a Genius: This Is Apple's Secret Employee Training Manual

Its an interesting read.

The term "empathy" is repeated ad nauseum in the Genius manual. It is the salesman sine qua non at the Apple Store, encouraging Geniuses to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes," assuming that mile ends at a credit card swipe machine. It is not, the book insists in bold type, "Sympathy, which is the ability to feel sorry for someone." Geniuses are directly told not to apologize in a manner anyone would call direct. If someone walks in sobbing because their hard drive is fried, you'll receive no immediate consolation. "Do not apologize for the business [or] the technology," the manual commands. Instead, express regret that the person is expressing emotions. A little mind roundabout: "I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated," or "too bad about your soda-spill accident," the book suggests. This is, of course, the equivalent of telling your girlfriend "I'm sorry you feel that way" during a fight instead of just apologizing for what you did.

The alternative to admitting that it simply sucks when an Apple TV is bricked or phone shatters, Geniuses are taught to employ the "Three Fs: Feel, Felt, and Found. This works especially well when the customer is mistaken or has bad information."

Negativity is the mortal sin of the Genius. Disagreement is prohibited, as are a litany of normal human tendencies outlined on page 80, which contradict the virtue of empathy: consoling, commiserating, sympathizing, and taking blame are all verboten. Correcting a mistaken or confused customer should be accomplished using the phrase "turns out," which Apple says "takes you out of the middle of an issue," and also makes the truth seem like something that just arrived serendipitously. For example, on page 82:

Customer: The OS isn't supported.
Genius: You'd think not, wouldn't you. Turns out it is supported in this version.

This is really just an advanced, Apple judo version of the customer is always right. But then there's the list of words that just straight up aren't allowed, on page 30. The manual explains that "AppleCare's legal counsel has defined [these] terms that should be avoided when discussing product issues with customers."

Did your computer crash? No, it "stops responding." Never say crash.
What if some Apple software has a bug? Wrong: there's an "issue," "condition," or simply "situation."
You don't "eliminate" a problem—you "reduce" it.
No Apple products are hot—at most they're "warm."

Good post, though I've not read it fully. Looking at the title, I can relate to a few snippets from Steve Job's biography. His obsession for A-listers, his reality distortion field,...... Such weird things made Steve a genius and the products blockbusters.

Such weird things made Steve a genius and the products blockbusters.

"And his customers mistaken and ill informed."

It's amazing how they could convince their consumers that they are always right. One of my friends changed his airtel router because Apple customer care said so though it was working well with his HP laptop.In fact so many I phone owners actually defended Jobs' you aren't holding it right comment when iPhone 4 had reception issues.

lol... I remember reading someone commenting on a blog that Apple Fanboys will do surgery & change their ear position on their face, if Jobs told them so...

Well that's a form of mind control, playing with the words and hence playing with the minds 😛Humans have a particular perspective/meaning for each and every word in the minds and a change of word means change of perspective/meaning........ By cleverly putting the different words in the minds of customer (manipulation).