Help with Airtel billing cycle and FUP limit.

• Thread starter Thread starter gabruputt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 18,712

gabruputt

Regular
ISP
airtel
Dear friends, my airtel billing cycle starts from the 26th of every month, and it's been just three days and the speed is back to 256K. i have not downloaded anything heavy or streamed anything heavy from the internet, but then why has my speed been reduced within 3 days? is this possible? i am on a rs. 999 plan with 20gb limit before the FUP kicks in. it was working fine till last night but today morning i checked and it is back to 256K. i don't think it's possible to exhaust 20 GB within three days on a 2Mbps connection. i checked the usage and it says, GB's left in your billing cycle 0... days left in billing cycle 27. i remember i never got any notice that one usually gets sating, you've reached 80% of your limit blah blah and later once you reach the 100% mark they remind you that you have reached 100% limit and can increase by buying their packages etc. so there is definitely something wrong on their end. even if i call the cc they will log in and say that sorry you have reached the limit, the same as i get when i log in. so what should i do? any advice? can one get a detailed break up how many GB's were used in the three days of the current billing cycle? isn't this cheating by airtel? what are my options please advice. thanks.

it is entirely possible to consume 20GB on a 2mbps connection in three days. and from what i remember airtel.in backend has a section where you can check your usage.

it possible to do it in 1 day 😛but best way to check out usage is have some software running in background so u can check from it that you are not getting screwed.

what can he do if his own meter does not matches airtel's? i mean almost all airtel users here would confirm that airtel meter runs faster than their own meters.

shift ISP thats one of the reason i left them after using them for 6yrs !

Log in to your Airtel account and check the detailed usage. See the usage in each session. You will know how you consumed your quota.But, even if you think a session is reporting data you didn't consume, I doubt there's hardly anything you could do about it.A couple of months back, I lost around 5GB is a particular session. I even have my own bandwidth meter installed. There obviously was a glitch on the Airtel backend.After dozens of email and telephone conversation, I was eventually told that I should take the issue up after the next bill is generated. I have no idea what the bill has to do with claiming 5GB. All I need is for them to add 5GB to my available data. I gave up!

It's worth making sure you're not using WEP on your Wifi connection. Anyone with 10 minutes of command line experience and/or an ability to copy paste can bypass that.Also check the DHCP info on your router's config page every now and then. That way you can tell if there's someone logged onto your connection without authorization.

Were u uploading something too?Well u do upload even while browsing but that is not much. But in case of torrents, uploads can cost u ur bandwidth. I am not entirely sure but on a 2 Mbps connection Airtel gives u around 512 kbps upload speed.

Were u uploading something too?

Well u do upload even while browsing but that is not much. But in case of torrents, uploads can cost u ur bandwidth. I am not entirely sure but on a 2 Mbps connection Airtel gives u around 512 kbps upload speed.

thanks for all your replies. my wifi is password proctected, with heavy encryption. so i dont think there has been a leak. i thought only downloads counted in the limit? actually the fup reached within 2 days itself , but since i posted my message around 2 am, so i counted it as 3 days. this has never happened to me before. i have always had the warning message saying you've reached 80% of the limit and then again warnings once you've crossed 100%. but it's not the case this time. really frustrating. i can go in for ACT broadband and almost did, but the negative reviews have discouraged me. the one good thing about airtel is that there is no downtime. YOU broadband is also advertising quite heavily in indiranagar, bangalore where i live. would love to say good bye to airtel having given them enough years of business. is ACT worth it?

@anant.del "shift ISP thats one of the reason i left them after using them for 6yrs ! " - same here, been with airtel for 7 years, but now they have started treating their customers like crap. so which ISP do you recommend? or will the threat of cancellation force them to offer better plans for the same price?

you are in Bangalore you got Beam..Spectranet....having true unlimited plans !

i thought only downloads counted in the limit?
Nope. Every byte sent and received counts and will be deducted from your quota.

you are in Bangalore you got Beam..Spectranet....having true unlimited plans !

No spectranet or beam, but got ACT broadband which is apparently a sister company or so of beam. they have rs 999+taxes plan which they claim is a 10Mbps connection (more like a 4Mbps apparently from people on this forum) with a 50gb limit instead of the 20gb that i currently get on airtel. but people in this forum have experienced a lot of downtimes.

i called up Airtel customer care yesterday and as expected he said you have used up all the limit within two days. i told him that this has never ever happened before and i should get the warning message on reaching the limit. he was surprised that i did not get any warning, and said there might have been some problem and that someone from airtel would get back to me within 4 hrs, but its been 24 hrs now. so i dont think i can expect a call from them. so really in a fix whether to change airtel and go in for ACT.

Nope. Every byte sent and received counts and will be deducted from your quota.

that sucks man. but why no warning on reaching limit? and 256Kbps feels like dial up in todays age.