Lure of the Apple

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Lure of the Apple: a series of swindle stories

I guess the very fact that the people are made to think that they are getting something very special at a very low cost causes them to fall for such schemes. And seriously there are people who transferred 2 Lakhs to an account for 10 iphones :confused: ?

“He placed an order for 10 iPhones and wired more than Rs. 2 lakh to an account given to him by the man, after the latter managed to convince the youngster that he was a direct dealer of the manufacturer. A week later he realised he had been cheated when the mobile number of the ‘dealer’ was constantly switched off,” said an officer.

Police have been receiving complaints about iPhone frauds from mid-2011 onwards. Last year, three dentists were conned in a similar fashion. In 2011, there were five such complaints.

This year, the number of cases has shot up, with more than 15 complaints received until mid-August. In some cases, conmen invited victims near the Chennai Harbour and fled with over Rs. 20,000 in cash after convincing them to wait while they returned from the Harbour after illegally buying phones that had been seized by the Customs department, sources added.

The conmen have also started begun baiting residents through SMS texts.

“Recently, I received an SMS for an iPhone at almost half the regular price. I called the number and a man told me I had to come near the Light House and hand over Rs. 20,000, after which he would go to the harbour and get the device,” said Ranjith, a student, who denied the offer.

On May 3, North Beach police arrested an aeronautical engineering graduate, after he cheated a college student of over Rs. 3 lakh.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Well, I am more surprised at the craze for iphone which makes people behave like this.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
well it is more of a craze for making money. the person would hardly be interested in getting a device for his own personal use. he was more likely interested in selling the devices and making a tidy profit on it.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Still, if he was confident of selling 10 devices at 25k each (assuming 5k profit), that still shows there is a craze for shady deals in case of an iphone. Also, justified by the number of people I have seen or heard who have obtained a "$200 iphone" & cracked it to use illegally here.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
lol. god bless people who buy an iphone without a bill here looking at the lack of service support options in the country.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Like I have said before, so many buy it just for showoff & use it as a feature phone or at best equivalent of the original iphone or Android 1.5 models

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
lol. see i don't really care why people buy iphones. what i do care about is the quality of service support in the country. even though i am the one who prefers to get a nexus device from usa without warranty. :confused:

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Apple has never really cared much for the Indian market. Something, Blackberry (succeeds or not is secondary) is showing a lot of interest in. They have almost conceded defeat in US. Canada is a loyal base they are retaining (for obvious reasons) & hoping to improve. India & other countries in South America, Africa and parts of Europe are where they are seeing a boost in sales. And they are focusing their marketing in these areas.

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
Regulars
Dec 9, 2006
Delhi
The problem for them of course is that at the end of the day, these markets on developing will become like the developed markets of today leaving them with no choice at all.