Configure Huawei HG556a for BSNL ADSL, BSNL/Airtel/Other 3g, VOIP, DynDNS.

• Thread starter Thread starter prajan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 14,031

prajan

ISP
BSNL Dataone
An amazing Gadget - The Huawei HG556a ADSL/3g Home Gateway.1. Setup BSNL ADSL in PPoE Mode:Logon to the webinterface - Most are configured for 192.168.1.1 and some to 192.168.0.1 - figure this out by enabling DHCP in your network card and see the gateway IP using ipconfig/ifconfig.Use admin user and password is normally provided in the user manual.AdvancedSetup->WAN->ADSL Uplink-> Remove all existing interfaces.Add a new interface - VPI-0, VCI - 35, Service Category - UBR without PCR-> NextSelect PPPoE and LLC/Snap Bridging encapsulation mode -> NextPPPUserName: BSNL Provided usernamePPPPassword: BSNL provided passwordDont change anything else on this page. -> NextService Name - Data/Voice if you want to use this interface for both Data and VOIP or else only Data.Save and Reboot. You should now be connected to BSNL ADSL.2. Setup BSNL/Airtel 3GAdvancedSetup->WAN->USB Uplink - Dont change anything->NextNetwork type - 3G preferred or any other based on your choice.Network - Autosearch and register -> Enable Wan-> Nextsave and rebootSet your 3G backup mode in Advanced Setup->3G backup.3. VOIP/SIP Setting - (I use callcentric - use your VOIP details)From the Web InterfaceVOICE > SIP Server->PrimaryServerSIP Proxy Server Address: callcentric.comSIP Proxy Server Port: 5060SIP Registrar Server Address: callcentric.comSIP Registrat Server Port: 5060SIP Service Domain: callcentric.comSIPID/USername - Your Callcentric ID 17777numberPassword - your password.Dont change any other option in this page.SIP Advanced - Select your PPPoE interface from the Interface name list that has the voice service- should be something like ppp_0_35_1-PPPoE.No other changes required in this page. Enable SIP1 in SIP UserSave (Dont Reboot yet)Telnet to your terminalTelneto 192.168.0.1User and passwordtype voice set all enablesaveGo back to the web page and save & reboot to commit changes.4. DynDNS.org -1. Go into your terminal's webpage-> AdvancedSetup->DNS->DynamicDNS-> Remove all the Services.Save&RebootTelnet to your Terminaltype ifconfig to identify the PPTP interface type - ddns add --username --password --interface ppp_0_35_1 --service dyndnstype - ddns show to confirm only what you added shows up.SaveReboot.5. Connect your USB data storage and ftp/share given in manualDLNA Server can be enabled and reached via - 192.168.0.1:9000regards.

Hello prajan !! i am using this device since April 2012 on BSNL ADSL (Gurgaon). but now a days m facing frequent disconnection on this modem. please let me know if you are also facing such kind of problem. Otherwise this device is amazing

Hello prajan !! i am using this device since April 2012 on BSNL ADSL (Gurgaon). but now a days m facing frequent disconnection on this modem. please let me know if you are also facing such kind of problem. Otherwise this device is amazing

Hi Amit, I too face this problem of disconnect some days - but I believe that has more to do with the BSNL staff messing up on their side some days.. I have tried testing the connection using other modems when i face frequent disconnects and it turns out that it disconnects even with the other modem hence proving the point it has something to do with BSNL rather than the router per se..

Few issues i have seen so far with this router -

1. Click noise when the router ADSL connection connects/disconnects - you hear this in your regular phone and this is very annoying.
2. Switching between ADSL and 3g when ADSL goes down is not very seemless - I guess it takes a while before the clients realize the new gateway DNS server due to a switch.

Regards.

Hi Saravanan, You should be able to configure if your dongle is a Huawei dongle. I was not able to configure a ZTE - Not sure if this gateway works only with Huawei dongles. Please check the username/password/phone number to dial for Tata Docomo (for BSNL and Airtel - this is *99#) and configure this in Advanced Setup -> WAN -> USB Uplink

Hi Amit, I too face this problem of disconnect some days - but I believe that has more to do with the BSNL staff messing up on their side some days.. I have tried testing the connection using other modems when i face frequent disconnects and it turns out that it disconnects even with the other modem hence proving the point it has something to do with BSNL rather than the router per se..

Few issues i have seen so far with this router -

1. Click noise when the router ADSL connection connects/disconnects - you hear this in your regular phone and this is very annoying.
2. Switching between ADSL and 3g when ADSL goes down is not very seemless - I guess it takes a while before the clients realize the new gateway DNS server due to a switch.

Regards.

Thanks for reply Prajan, now i have shifted from ADSL to G.DMT and guess what, no more disconnection now also, i replaced my Splitter and it brought attenuation down by 10 units and no more disconnection now.

m not using phone on the same line so no noise in my handset i use it through splitter.
switching b/w ADSL and 3g took 2 -3 minutes approx.

Amit

Hi guys, can u tell me whether BSNL EVDO Prithvi can be configured on this? As such, is CDMA supported by this router?

An amazing Gadget - The Huawei HG556a ADSL/3g Home Gateway.

1. Setup BSNL ADSL in PPoE Mode:

Logon to the webinterface - Most are configured for 192.168.1.1 and some to 192.168.0.1 - figure this out by enabling DHCP in your network card and see the gateway IP using ipconfig/ifconfig.

Use admin user and password is normally provided in the user manual.

AdvancedSetup->WAN->ADSL Uplink-> Remove all existing interfaces.
Add a new interface - VPI-0, VCI - 35, Service Category - UBR without PCR-> Next
Select PPPoE and LLC/Snap Bridging encapsulation mode -> Next
PPPUserName: BSNL Provided username
PPPPassword: BSNL provided password
Dont change anything else on this page. -> Next
Service Name - Data/Voice if you want to use this interface for both Data and VOIP or else only Data.
Save and Reboot. You should now be connected to BSNL ADSL.

2. Setup BSNL/Airtel 3G
AdvancedSetup->WAN->USB Uplink - Dont change anything->Next
Network type - 3G preferred or any other based on your choice.
Network - Autosearch and register -> Enable Wan-> Next
save and reboot

Set your 3G backup mode in Advanced Setup->3G backup.

3. VOIP/SIP Setting - (I use callcentric - use your VOIP details)
From the Web Interface
VOICE > SIP Server->PrimaryServer
SIP Proxy Server Address: callcentric.com
SIP Proxy Server Port: 5060
SIP Registrar Server Address: callcentric.com
SIP Registrat Server Port: 5060
SIP Service Domain: callcentric.com

SIPID/USername - Your Callcentric ID 17777number
Password - your password.

Dont change any other option in this page.

SIP Advanced - Select your PPPoE interface from the Interface name list that has the voice service- should be something like ppp_0_35_1-PPPoE.

No other changes required in this page. Enable SIP1 in SIP User
Save (Dont Reboot yet)

Telnet to your terminal
Telnet
o 192.168.0.1
User and password
type voice set all enable
save

Go back to the web page and save & reboot to commit changes.

4. DynDNS.org -

1. Go into your terminal's webpage-> AdvancedSetup->DNS->DynamicDNS-> Remove all the Services.
Save&Reboot
Telnet to your Terminal
type ifconfig to identify the PPTP interface
type - ddns add --username --password --interface ppp_0_35_1 --service dyndns
type - ddns show to confirm only what you added shows up.
Save
Reboot.

5. Connect your USB data storage and ftp/share given in manual
DLNA Server can be enabled and reached via - 192.168.0.1:9000

regards.

Hi,

Do you have idea how to configure this with Static IP..?

Thanks
An amazing Gadget - The Huawei HG556a ADSL/3g Home Gateway.

1. Setup BSNL ADSL in PPoE Mode:

Logon to the webinterface - Most are configured for 192.168.1.1 and some to 192.168.0.1 - figure this out by enabling DHCP in your network card and see the gateway IP using ipconfig/ifconfig.

Use admin user and password is normally provided in the user manual.

AdvancedSetup->WAN->ADSL Uplink-> Remove all existing interfaces.
Add a new interface - VPI-0, VCI - 35, Service Category - UBR without PCR-> Next
Select PPPoE and LLC/Snap Bridging encapsulation mode -> Next
PPPUserName: BSNL Provided username
PPPPassword: BSNL provided password
Dont change anything else on this page. -> Next
Service Name - Data/Voice if you want to use this interface for both Data and VOIP or else only Data.
Save and Reboot. You should now be connected to BSNL ADSL.

2. Setup BSNL/Airtel 3G
AdvancedSetup->WAN->USB Uplink - Dont change anything->Next
Network type - 3G preferred or any other based on your choice.
Network - Autosearch and register -> Enable Wan-> Next
save and reboot

Set your 3G backup mode in Advanced Setup->3G backup.

3. VOIP/SIP Setting - (I use callcentric - use your VOIP details)
From the Web Interface
VOICE > SIP Server->PrimaryServer
SIP Proxy Server Address: callcentric.com
SIP Proxy Server Port: 5060
SIP Registrar Server Address: callcentric.com
SIP Registrat Server Port: 5060
SIP Service Domain: callcentric.com

SIPID/USername - Your Callcentric ID 17777number
Password - your password.

Dont change any other option in this page.

SIP Advanced - Select your PPPoE interface from the Interface name list that has the voice service- should be something like ppp_0_35_1-PPPoE.

No other changes required in this page. Enable SIP1 in SIP User
Save (Dont Reboot yet)

Telnet to your terminal
Telnet
o 192.168.0.1
User and password
type voice set all enable
save

Go back to the web page and save & reboot to commit changes.

4. DynDNS.org -

1. Go into your terminal's webpage-> AdvancedSetup->DNS->DynamicDNS-> Remove all the Services.
Save&Reboot
Telnet to your Terminal
type ifconfig to identify the PPTP interface
type - ddns add --username --password --interface ppp_0_35_1 --service dyndns
type - ddns show to confirm only what you added shows up.
Save
Reboot.

5. Connect your USB data storage and ftp/share given in manual
DLNA Server can be enabled and reached via - 192.168.0.1:9000

regards.