Setting up my Wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter harrypott
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,535

harrypott

ISP
Airtel 2 Mbps
Hey guys!This is my first post here. Hope to hang around here more often. Need some help though on setting up Wifi in my home.I am an Airtel Broadband user on a wired connection. Instead of asking the airtel representatives to set up my wifi, I have decided to do it myself, since, the representatives tell me they will take away my wired modem and I can use wifi on my PC which I don't want to. So, the issue goes that I have a UTStarcom modem with 4 LAN ports in the back. I was thinking of buying a Netgear Router and connecting them both via a LAN cable so that my PC recieves a wired connection and my laptop, iPhone and iPod can get a wifi connection. Is such a thing possible? If yes, how should I go about doing it?Also, would this be the best way to set up wifi in my house? Considering that I'll have to connect the modem and the router with a 25-35m long LAN cable because I want wifi in the back end of my home whereas normal wifi routers only have a 15-20 m radius which won't be sufficient to get the most on my devices.Waiting for some replies!Cheers!//Harry

Buy any router and its very easy to configure your wifi with Airtel. In fact, When you buy D-Link modem+router - You get a CD along with it, which helps you in setting up your wifi!

I can't use a modem + router as I need both of them seperately. I want the modem to give one port to the PC and the other to the router to broadcast over wifi. And I need them seperated by 25 m to cover my complete home! I heard that you have to disable DHCP and Change PPPOE to Bridge etc or is that not applicable?

Then simply buy the router (Belkin/Netgear) for your wifi usage. You can yourself configure the router or call the CC of Netgear/Belkin for setting up. Normally the router will cost you sonewhere around 1200 depending on the model.Hope that helps.

Another thing, the modem will have only 1 LAN output, so you will have to pull up the LAN output from the router itself for your PC.

Post your budget. Running a lan cable from the utstarcom device to your wifi router will give maximum performance.

Ok. So, I just went in for an Airtel Wifi Modem and ran a cable to my PC. Now, I can't bind more than 4 accounts to the wifi. And I have more than 4 devices which use wifi at home. So, Airtel limits me on my own wifi too? Or is there a workaround?

how much they charged for the wireless router? i believe better quality routers are available for similar/cheaper prices!

They gave a Wifi Modem + Router for 1600/- I checked Nehru place, a Modem + Router was available for 1800/- at the minimum, so, it was all fine. I had to change the wires too, so, i needed a Modem + Router.