Adsl2+???

so what part of my previous post you did not get? buy a repeater or an access point and use that. a router is connected to your broadband line and you apparently has only one of those.

Hmmm...1) Broadband line? Can't I get it in a second room?2) I couldn't find any repeaters on Flipkart. Can you advise me as to the 'best' one?

get an access point then. access point have multiple functions including functioning as a repeater.

That only one telephone port in a house can be used to provide internet.
That this is a limitation of ADSL 2 technology.
That if a want to put a second router, I'll need to buy a WAN router(dunno what this is too...?) and connect it to the ADSL one via Ethernet. Is this true?

I'd like this answered as well.

i cannot really make sense of what you wrote. one landline can power one internet connection. that means you can connect one router to that line. wan router from what i understand are capable of handling two landlines. so you would still need a secondary internet connection. wan routers i believe are designed for load sharing. you can technically use the combined bandwidth from two different lines on a single computer for instance.

WAN routers are what we call adsl modems, afaik, right ? What youre talking about seems something on the lines of dual wan (load balancing) and line bonding (combining two lines into one)

@op
I.dunno about the specifics but if you connect 2 modem routers to the same line, 2 things will happen -
1. Neither of them will work and 2. Your landline will have lots of distrbance

And there very much is a repeater on flipkart - https://www.flipkart.com/m/netgear-wn3000rp/p/itmd6ffb7xwg49mv?pid=RTRD6FYYZCZGPCVH

I need some info( I tried searching, couldn't find a similar thread. If it exists just point me to the link)

What is ADSL 2? How does it differ from FTTH?

ADSL2 uses your existing copper telephone wiring to provide you with broadband. It's capable of running at up to 24mbit/s under ideal circumstances but no ISPs in India offer such speed on ADSL (*discounting the plans released by Airtel the other day).

VDSL is the successor to ADSL which increases the speed to 50 or 100mbit/s (in the case of VDSL2) but the range is much much shorter - you have to be a lot closer to the exchange or roadside cabinet for it to work effectively.

FTTH uses Fiber Optic cable all the way in to your home, at which point the company supplying the service will provide you with a modem (similar to the existing ADSL modem you have now) which will then have ethernet ports and sometimes WiFi for you to connect your devices. The current generation of FTTH services are easily capable of delivering 1,000mbit/s (1 gigabit) and the next generation will be doing 10 gigabits.

In short, Fiber is better.

Another thing, I called the Airtel technician to my home last week to ask him to put up another router in my house. He said:
That only one telephone port in a house can be used to provide internet.
That this is a limitation of ADSL 2 technology.
That if a want to put a second router, I'll need to buy a WAN router(dunno what this is too...?) and connect it to the ADSL one via Ethernet. Is this true?
I thought he was fooling me so I bought the D-Link DSL 2750U off Flipkart and installed it myself. It covers a greater part of my home but still I'd like a second router in the opposite corner. How can I get this done?

For once a technician wasn't trying to lie to you. Unfortunately I suspect you purchased the wrong router, as I would assume that you already had an ADSL 2 modem/router (with or without WiFi I cannot ascertain based on the information provided).

For the purpose of this post I'll assume you've already discarded whatever you had originally and replaced it only with the DSL2750U. As my fellow posters here have mentioned, you cannot use 2 ADSL routers for 1 connection - it just doesn't work.

What you need to have 2 WiFi access points in your house is the following:
* The DSL 2750U you've purchased, plugged in to your phone line and ensure that it is the device making the connection (that is to say, don't use the dial-up connection on your PC).
* Another broadband router, such as the Netgear WGR614 or any other similar device from your brand of choice (Cisco, Belkin, Asus etc): it should *NOT* have an ADSL modem in it otherwise it will not work. While on that topic, stay away from the D-Link DIR-615 - they're nothing but trouble.
* Enough Ethernet cable to run to the location you want. You *could* use a WiFi repeater which would mean no wired, but I'm not personally a fan (sidenote: the WGR614 does have a wireless repeating function - you just put in the IP address of your DSL2750U which, assuming you haven't changed it, is 192.168.0.1 as well as it's MAC address which can be found on the bottom of the DSL2750U in the form of some numbers and letters like A0:B1:C2😀3:E4:F5).

If you choose to go wired, plug one end of your ethernet cable in to a LAN port on the DSL2750U and the other end in to one of the LAN ports on the second router you've chosen.

On the second router, turn OFF DHCP, and set it's IP address to be in the same range as the DSL2750U, eg 192.168.0.10 and it should be good to go. Ideally, set the SSID to be the same so that moving between 2 routers is more or less seamless. If you don't, no big deal, just set your laptops, tablets and phones to automatically connect to whatever network(s) are in range.

Worst case scenario: instead of plugging in to the LAN port on the second router, you can plug it in to the WAN port and leave DHCP and NAT turned on and configure the second router to send traffic to the first router, eg, IP 192.168.10.1 Subnet 255.255.0.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 - the disadvantage to this is that moving between routers is not seamless.

Clear as mud?

@x720 & @mgcarleyThis is exactly what all I wanted to know. Cannot thank you both enough😀🙂😉Oh, and I'll be preferring a wireless method. Again, thanks a lot both of ya!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:😀😉