Airtel Broadband Fibrenet FTTH Plans for Delhi NCR!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 90
  • Views Views 44,150
ok this was sort of weird. i had tweeted to airtel seeking details about where they are offering these plans in gurgaon. just got a call. i was told that they do not have a specific list of areas. i was told that they have fiber almost everywhere (!). but they would have to conduct a feasibility study to see what plans they can offer in my region. not so sure what just happened.

^ So basically they're telling you that once they get enough requests from your area, they'll roll out fiber to you

well i have no desire to pay them 5000+ rupees per month for around the same amount of data that i get right now at around 2500.

^ So basically they're telling you that once they get enough requests from your area, they'll roll out fiber to you

Sounds a lot like what I suggested earlier 😛

lol. this is not going to work at least for my area. most of the consumers probably are low usage ones. and the kind of stupid packages available on fiber, most people would not be interested at all. you have to make it lucrative to get people interested. people are not just going to start paying you more when they are not even getting the same thing in return!

AIRTEL FIRST ONE TO LAUNCHE 100 MBPS PLANS LAUNCHED IN INDIA.40 , 80 & 100 MBPS PLANS WITH FUP40 MBPS (3099) - 40 Mbps till 80GB,512kpbs post that80 MBPS (3999) - 80 Mbps till 80GB,512 kbps post that100mbps (5299) - 100Mbps till 175GB,512 kbps post that

airtel and their tweets. i am in for multiple calls tomorrow. 🙁

If you do get a call from Airtel then don't forget to ask what the upload speed is gonna be on these Fibrenet plans?

My views : Airtel has launches 100Mbps fiber to the home (FTTH) broadband in IndiaI would say this is a new start for airtel and the plans are almost comparable to the same FTTH broadband offering by MTNL in Delhi. Although airtel is yet to cover ground because its fiber availability is quite less compared to MTNL in Delhi which has already covered up many housing societies and is expanding at a rapid pace.Airtel has always been criticized for implementing fair usage policies on its customers and these fiber plans have fair usage limits...but the Indian consumer can not do much about it as this has become the norm in the Indian broadband industry adopting these policies. Even the state owned PSUs like MTNL and BSNL have also joined the fair usage bandwagon...At 100Mbps speed a limit of 175 GB will exhaust in just 6 hours....I am wondering what will happen if i accidentally left my uTorrent turned ON for 6 hours!!! hmmmmI am very happy with my mtnl fber connection...will review it here soon for u guys with photos...

I would say this is a new start for airtel and the plans are almost comparable to the same FTTH broadband offering by MTNL in Delhi. Although airtel is yet to cover ground because its fiber availability is quite less compared to MTNL in Delhi which has already covered up many housing societies and is expanding at a rapid pace.

Wholly agree. Better late than never.

Airtel has always been criticized for implementing fair usage policies on its customers and these fiber plans have fair usage limits...but the Indian consumer can not do much about it as this has become the norm in the worldwide broadband industry adopting these policies. Even the state owned PSUs like MTNL and BSNL have also joined the fair usage bandwagon...

There, FTFY.

At 100Mbps speed a limit of 175 GB will exhaust in just 6 hours....I am wondering what will happen if i accidentally left my uTorrent turned ON for 6 hours!!! hmmmm

Whatever you have got queued will get finished, that's about it.

But if you're worried about the FUP being exhausted in so-many-hours, you're kind of missing the point of high-speed broadband, which is that because you don't have to wait for the downloads. Your downloads will finish, yes, but then you'll spend the rest of the month consuming them. Don't think that just because your speed multiplies by 10 or 20 times that you're magically going to start consuming 10 or 20 times as much data... maybe 150-200% of what you consume now, excepting for the first couple or three months where the high-speed is a novelty.

After that, keeping up with the downloads (organizing, deleting, buying new hard drives etc) becomes a chore. Believe me, I've tried. I got my first 100mbit/s connection nearly 7 years ago before I moved here and since then I've had speeds ranging from GPRS to the full 100 on Wireless, 2G, 3G, ADSL, Metro Ethernet & Fibre and while the maximum I've used in a month was about 1.5TB (on my own connection I think in March or April), but the average is well well below that.

On high-speed somewhere in the 150-250GB range, and I am not really what you'd call a light user: I'm almost perma-streaming Youtube and/or other streaming sites (background noise for sleeping and/or working), I download stuff on bittorrent (I won't say what), I send/receive about 2GB a day to various cloud services, I have high-definition video calls on Skype and so on. So far this month I've done almost symmetrical data transfer of about 220GB (so about 110GB in each direction +/- 1GB).

Of course, that's just me. If there were other people in my house I might need 3-400GB or more but the fact of the matter is, there's only so much you can really consume when you have a life. BUT on the flipside to this, that does not mean that higher tiers should not be available. There probably *are* people that need larger amounts - a terabyte or more.

I recently had one person claim to me that our FUP of 500GB was pitiful. When I asked him "how big is your hard drive", he went on to claim 50TB of storage in his house** (I'll believe it when I see it) but even if true I imagine that he would be an anomaly (or a commercial pirate) and that most people probably have something like 2-3TB. Sure, it's easy to get that in a single drive now, but do you really want to go buying a new one every month? I doubt it.

Anyway, the point of that diatribe is that Airtel would do well to offer better data transfer on it's FTTH packages - 300GB or more - in order to satisfy the lust for data and justify people upgrading.

**For the record, I did offer him a better package with a higher limit but he didn't respond.

I am very happy with my mtnl fber connection...will review it here soon for u guys with photos...

Look forward to it.

I wished MTNL and Airtel kept some sort of coverage map for FTTH. There's no way to know which areas are covered and which are not. I called MTNL's CC and the lady had absolutely no idea what FTTH even was.