Airtel Broadband Fibrenet FTTH Plans for Delhi NCR!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 90
  • Views Views 44,173
What exactly is an FTTH Site ?

FTTH stands for Fibre to the Home...

i guess that is their terminology for areas where they have laid down fibers at.

i have sent a tweet asking them supported locations in gurgaon. i am prepared to be disappointed with a senseless response.

I would assume it goes a little further than that - probably more like where they have actually outfitted buildings or communities with Fibre... or they could be doing like Google (and myself) and trying to ascertain where the most demand is so that they can decide on which "Fibrehoods" get outfitted first.

lol at waiting for them to lay down fibers in your area. i bet they would send me a check for the installation as well /s

lol at waiting for them to lay down fibers in your area. i bet they would send me a check for the installation as well /s

The thing about Airtel is that they already have connections, so upgrading your existing DSL connection to Fibre isn't that much of a stretch. The infrastructure is exactly the same up to a certain point.

While I don't know the exact specifics of Airtel's network, in all probability it would merely involve a new line from your house to where ever their fibre distribution cabinet is (probably right next to the existing DSLAM and connected to the same backhaul fibre that's already in the ground)... this new line only needs to extend as far as the building's basement or perhaps somewhere along your street or even a couple of blocks over depending on where their actual equipment is.

Better still, even if it's a couple of blocks, on the assumption that they weren't complete idiots when the built the original DSL network, blowing Fibre through existing conduits isn't that hard and doesn't involve too much digging (in many cases, none at all).

btw ftth would mean a different type of modem/router right? 😀 i wonder if they are going to offer iptv through ftth as well. the medianama guy was cribbing about limitations of dsl causing problems with iptv rollout.

btw ftth would mean a different type of modem/router right? 😀 i wonder if they are going to offer iptv through ftth as well. the medianama guy was cribbing about limitations of dsl causing problems with iptv rollout.

Definitely 100% will involve a different modem... but fortunately most FTTH modems are built to handle IPTV and usually one of the Ethernet ports is dedicated to IPTV (if IPTV service is active, of course).

This is done through 802.1q tagging which allows them to segregate the Data and IPTV bandwidth streams more effectively... I *think* up to the point where you could consume the full 100mbit/s of data bandwidth and not experience any issues with your IPTV stream but this isn't always the case... I think most just use a 100mbit/s profile and subtract X for IPTV and Y for VOIP, leaving you with around 94mbit/s for data.

sadly in any case, they have totally ****ed up their iptv packages and offerings.

sadly in any case, they have totally ****ed up their iptv packages and offerings.

Just the packages or is it a quality of service issue? Fibre can/will/should solve the latter problem, but as for the actual content...

last i heard, the quality of service had become awful. they still have not added all the new channels that have launched in india in the last couple of years. and they keep on removing channels from the timeshift platform which was the only good thing about iptv. i believe star world and other important channels are no longer part of timeshift rendering it useless for almost anyone who might be interested in this platform.

Interesting. I wonder if the feature has been being removed due to the QoS issues?

do they have ftth in mumbai as well ??

As far as I can ascertain from the plan page, no - it's ONLY NCR as of now.

Which part of Mumbai are you in?

well when i had airtel iptv, i had a 1mbps plan. i understand that iptv is unlikely to work on plans with 8/16mbps speeds. i remember times when iptv feed struggled when i was downloading a torrent with excessive number of connections 😀 otherwise, it used to work fine. nothing spectacular. of course, the charm of iptv platform diminished with the arrival of hd channels on dth.

As far as I can ascertain from the plan page, no - it's ONLY NCR as of now.

Which part of Mumbai are you in?

I stay at Malad.

Irrespective of the plans with low datacaps, Airtel providing 100 mbps in India is big progress and should be commended. It's a different thing if these plans are just on paper and that there are actually no customers using these FTTH plans.As a home user, I'm relatively happy with 4mbps speeds and I'd be glad if I can get 8 or 16mbps at an affordable price.This has been mentioned in these forums several times; the two main problems with Airtel plans are:1. Ridiculously low data caps.2. Ridiculously priced smartbytes packages.They should either introduce plans with higher data usage per month or bring down the prices of smartbytes packages to sensible levels. If given a choice, I could consume 200-300 GB per month but I'm limiting my consumption to 150 GB because there are no higher plans and the smartbytes packages are a rip-off.