Something new going on with beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats this ?

What's peering?

In computer networking, peering is a voluntary interconnection of administratively separate Internet networks for the purpose of exchanging traffic between the customers of each network. The pure definition of peering is settlement-free or "sender keeps all," meaning that neither party pays the other for the exchanged traffic; instead, each derives revenue from its own customers.

Peering requires physical interconnection of the networks, an exchange of routing information through the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) routing protocol and is often accompanied by peering agreements of varying formality, from "handshake" to thick contracts.

Marketing and commercial pressures have led to the word “peering” being also used routinely when there is some settlement involved, even though that does not correspond to the original technical meaning of the word. The phrase "settlement-free peering" is in turn used to unambiguously describe the pure cost-free peering situation.

In layman terms, peering means sharing data with other users of your ISP at blazing fast speeds (100mbps). This won't cost your ISP anything because the data is travelling only through their network and not outside. Fivenet has this if i remember correctly.

Ah the last paragraph was more helpful than the rest of the post lol.Anyway ty for sharing.

I thought they did coz I noticed it on torrents that if I am downloading from a Beam IP or uploading to a Beam IP it maxes out my connection

yea ..even at my place ..torrent maxes out (popular torrents).But i tried DC++ and got my plan speeds. Tried contacting beam through FB but they said give me your number, we'll get back to you. They never did.

I wasn't referring to popular torrents with lots of seeders. I was referring to 1 seeder or 1 leecher who happens to be on a Beam connection as well and I max out my speed to that one seeder or leecher. . .which is what I think is what you were referring to peering.

Status
Not open for further replies.