Erratic torrent speeds

ISP
Airtel
When I'm usually browsing or downloading something using Firefox, the downloading speed is always like 267 KBps but when I download stuff from µtorrent, mostly the speed doesn't go beyond 20 KBps but sometimes it goes upto 300 KBps. Why does this happen? I always make sure all other applications are closed when using µtorrent. Does it have something to do with Airtel? What is the solution?I have Airtel 1mbps plan

airtel throttle torrents during day time. so torrent speeds are going to suck during the day time. speeds should be fine between 10pm and 10am.

@chomaniac:One doubt. When you use the VPN torrents speeds are normal in day time right?I am not able to check this myself as Airtel does not seem to throttle my Torrents in day time too ( they want me use my GBS fast so that they can annoy me with Smartbytes redirection or they have enough BW left in the POP i connect)

i get variable speeds on torrents through VPN. but yea, much better than what i get otherwise. i do get good speeds on torrents on airtel without vpn during day time sometimes.

probably the variable speed is b'cos of the health of the torrents. Technically they will be able to classify all traffic as openvpn and they would see a single flow irrespective of the apps we use.If they throttle openvpn even your HD youtube streaming would get affected.

knowing airtel they would ban VPN on their network claiming it to be an unsupported technology.

Have not experienced any throttling on private trackers - DT and What.CD to be precise. (on Airtel Delhi-NCR)

man i am getting shitty speeds on airtel through a paid VPN! i am guessing it is just a poorly seeded torrent. 😀

I download only about 15-20 GB of p2p stuff in a month. Perhaps they are throttling speeds for the heavy downloaders?

lol. going to check with ubuntu to see if i can reach the peak speed on it. 🙂

sucks to waste bandwidth just to see if airtel is not ****ing around again.

https://imgur.com/HYabu

seems to be a torrent related problem. they cannot really interfere with torrents on my VPN account without messing around with vpn itself!

@chomaniac:
One doubt. When you use the VPN torrents speeds are normal in day time right?

I am not able to check this myself as Airtel does not seem to throttle my Torrents in day time too ( they want me use my GBS fast so that they can annoy me with Smartbytes redirection or they have enough BW left in the POP i connect)

Hmmm... Since I don't use BB @ home on weekdays daytime, I didn't notice the throttling.

Had a chance to do some tests today...

- They were throttling torrents @1Mbps( on a 4mbps connection)

Turned on my OpenVPN and the speed was @1mbps only. Speed tests returned only 1 mbps with VPN !!!

Switched off VPN and speedtest returned 4mbps!

ie means they are throttling VPN too @ daytime...

So they have policy setup to favor HTTP,HTTPS & Youtube and rest of the traffic gets low priority either it be VPN or SSH.. ie my guess.

So there is no use of VPN as well... one can take this up with Airtel if they have lot of free time 🙂..

I need to check this with office VPN as well....( IPSec VPN)

I haven't experienced any throttling in torrents nor in FTP. I regularly download stuff from my seedbox as well as directly to my PC and I always get ~ 260-270 kb/s on a 2 MBps connection 24 hours a day!