• Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,556

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Basically, he thinks that we all are idiots.

K Srinivas, President (B2C) Airtel On Offloading Data To Wifi, Smartphones, Data Pricing, Broadband - MediaNama

The presence of copper and fibre costs are inhibiting. In the western world, when they wanted to put up hotspots, they just walked into a place and it was fibred.

yeap. america was founded on fibered infrastructure.

The notion is that everything on the Internet is free. So Google doesn’t charge the customer, Facebook is free. There are billions of dollars of investment going in.

it is your business to invest in infrastructure. not google's. not facebook's. you are a service provider. you picked this business. not google. not facebook. stop ranting about being in business where billions have to be invested before you can reap the profits from them.

At some stage, Rs 98 will become Rs 200 for 2gb.I’m not getting into whether this pricing is right or wrong. Even on voice, the current rates are not sustainable. Every single operator is sitting on huge sets of investment. This pricing for data or voice is not sustainable. Lets build the right business model. On one side you compete, and on another you collaborate. The point you were making (in your post) was that I need Google and Google needs me. Very true. The issue is that the amount of investment that goes behind. Tell me one product or commodity in the country which has not changed its price upwards in the last 10 years, or even the last one year. You’ve seen everybody drop prices. I pay in dollars for all my investments and I earn in paise. There is significant investment.

why not stop spending crores and crores of rupees on stupid advertising campaigns and invest that money in the network? focus on the business rather than on marketing aspect of it? from what i have seen, you have outsourced literally every component of your business operation. you are just a brand name. why not just shut the **** up, sell your business and get out?

One other thing I wanted to talk to you about was that a lot of guys actually believe that speed doesn’t cost money. It’s completely untrue.

o rly? why not come out with a whitepaper on the costing of bandwidth and speed? how come operators like beam and act can provide cheaper broadband than YOU GUYS without having the international gateways and all that?

It’s because your costs of setting up broadband is prohibitive. The cost of setting up a link is almost about Rs 25,000.

how many of them can be financed with just one of your stupid ads that run on television?

We don’t alert people when they reach 80 percent. If there are specifics about bugs, we can check them out. We have an elaborate testing protocol. We do give people an option to buy additional GBs.

do you even know anything about how your company operates?

Update: MediaNama has made a correction on the blog post. He admitted that they do alert people. So basically, Airtel management knows about this and think it's cool.

We’ve identified colonies, high rises to cover. But a lot of guys believe that once you put the network up, speed doesn’t cost you money. Speed does. It’s speed that costs you money. Every time you want to upgrade customers – it’s a pipe. If I want to keep a uniform experience and upgrade everybody, I need a thicker pipe.

so are you saying internet is a series of pipes now?

i am done man. this guy does not know what he is talking about.

why not stop spending crores and crores of rupees on stupid advertising campaigns and invest that money in the network?

Because every minute they get a fool walking in to buy their product/service. :joyous:

Airtel is crap! I have read whole interview and this guy doesnt know what its customers are facing. I have proof SMS and Emails which Airtel send when we reach 80% and also 100% this guy doesnt know how their own system works. AIRTEL is going down down the line, wish some other service provider comes in kick their A**.

as i said, airtel is a marketing company. the only thing they are doing is spend money on ads.

Basically, he thinks that we all are idiots.

With an idiot like him, who doesn't even know how his company operates, running the company, what more can we expect from Airtel.

Airtel is crap! I have read whole interview and this guy doesnt know what its customers are facing. I have proof SMS and Emails which Airtel send when we reach 80% and also 100% this guy doesnt know how their own system works. AIRTEL is going down down the line, wish some other service provider comes in kick their A**.

I was past 80% FUP today and hard a had time browsing the net after that - Airtel thinks redirecting the user to their annoying warning pages is perfectly acceptable. Eventually I pulled the network cable out and back in to escape their clutches 😛

Typical replies which u can expect from an MBA graduate with no basic technical knowledge ..Surely a product of ratta culture ..

looks like medianama updated the blog post changing the statement of the dude. it now states that we do alert consumers when they hit 80%. beh.

Alerts?What alerts?Oh you mean those annoying redirects I get after crossing my FUP limit? The same one that I get stupid texts and emails for repeatedly?Airtel, please kiss my a**.

India is getting smarter.. In past we had Vishwa Bandhu Gupta discussing about Cloud Computing which MIT professor couldn't think of and Now another GENIUS K Srinivas, President (B2C) Airtel discussing about how Speed Costs in Internet.

Got to admire this guy's confidence! Irrespective of what he says there's a lesson to be learned here - with delivery like that, he could even sell an overpriced Airtel connection to a sane person. I found one of the comments on youtube interesting - the notion that this guy does know what he's talking about but resorts to distorted (but simpler) explanations so that illiterate / less-technically minded masses get what he's saying. IDK - that doesn't sound farfetched.

well he is a perfect candidate to join politics. he believes in stuff that does not exist. so i guess he can sell it too.

There are billions of dollars of investment going in.

Just by saying that he seems that he has justified charging Google/FB. He really doesn't clarify any of his statements or Airtel's business policies using statistics and numbers in details.

It seems that the only reason he gave this interview is because he wanted to nullify the effect that broadbandforum.co has had on Airtel's users and to be users. Him giving justification for "speed does cost and data does not" even when he was not asked that question, goes to show that he has been reading BBF.in and especially MC's posts here.

We should understand that this interview was not meant for ppl like us who have been criticizing Airtel on technical grounds. It is just a marketing strategy from preventing to-be-customers from running away from Airtel by reading comments on BBF.in.

Kudos to BBF users for making Airtel do this. This goes to say that ppl are listening to you and making decisions based on other user experiences.

We just need to continue what we are doing.

Please remember that criticizing Airtel on technical/logical grounds has made them respond. Blind criticism won't help.

yeap. his statement clearly states that they have been checking out statements highlighted by mathew and this forum. i do not think there is anyone else taking on airtel for charging different prices for the same data at different speeds. we are probably the only one. his statement also states something very worrying. airtel claims that higher speeds costs more money. but the logic indicated is that higher speeds mean more network congestion so they have to invest in better infrastructure. so basically... technically they are wrong. higher speeds do not cost them more money. they are justifying the need to upgrade their network as the basis of charging more for higher speeds. it sounds like toll taxes on newly created highways... airtel should not be using their landline and broadband customers as the cash cow to fund their loss making adventures in the african market. just like government should not charge us for creating infrastructure because we already pay taxes for the same reason. his statements are also very worrying. there was no indication that they are taking wired broadband market seriously enough. they seem to be totally focused on 3G/LTE... the kind of investments they are making in these markets for little spectrum... seems insane. i mean wireless has a major issue. you have a limited spectrum. higher prices means fewer customers means less profits. lower prices means more customers means congested networks means quality goes down. they cannot just ignore the wired broadband market. they need to use it to complement their wireless services. sadly they are totally missing out on this element. i am not a fan of reliance. but i really wish mukesh ambani kicks their arse when he launches his LTE service.