Need help!

• Thread starter Thread starter aditya_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,050

aditya_p

ISP
BSNL
Namaste,I am using BSNL broadband for like 3 years now, never had problem till last evening. Since last evening I am having browsing problems, when I tried to access any website using google chrome it gave me some DNS server error, Mozilla and i-explorer simply said 'unable to connect'. Interesting part is torrent downloads and Skype calls were working fine on full speed!! I called BSNL they said problem is either in my modem or in my computers, I called quick heal they said it has nothing to do with my antivirus.As google chrome was giving me DNS server error one of my colleague told me to change DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 , I did so and it started working!!So I desperately need to know few things 1)what was wrong with my internet? 2)why the issue got resolved when I changed my DNS address? 3)should I leave those DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4. or should I change them back to default and keep troubleshooting the real problem? (if there is still a problem)any expert can help me please?( When problem was there, I had it on all 3 connections 2 LAN, 1 WiFi)( another notable thing is, internet on my android phone was working fine and i was using WiFi from the same modem)

In simple terms: DNS server is like a directory that has information to route your internet requests over the internet to reach the server you intend to go to. DNS server's ip (by default) will be set to be received automatically when the modem gets connected to the internet. The DNS server that your modem obtained automatically was probably down last evening. Torrents may not need the DNS servers help because torrent file knows where to connect and get routed for downloading the data. Hence it worked fine when browsing did not. you may wish to leave it set to use the google DNS.I could not explain the android working. was it another connection to which the phone had access to like a 2G or 3G? It may also depend on what android was doing - like browsing which i understand will need a working DNS. other activities may not need it. Or your Android was luckly to get response from the going down or slow DNS server.

In simple terms: DNS server is like a directory that has information to route your internet requests over the internet to reach the server you intend to go to.

DNS server's ip (by default) will be set to be received automatically when the modem gets connected to the internet. The DNS server that your modem obtained automatically was probably down last evening. Torrents may not need the DNS servers help because torrent file knows where to connect and get routed for downloading the data. Hence it worked fine when browsing did not. you may wish to leave it set to use the google DNS.

I could not explain the android working. was it another connection to which the phone had access to like a 2G or 3G? It may also depend on what android was doing - like browsing which i understand will need a working DNS. other activities may not need it. Or your Android was luckly to get response from the going down or slow DNS server.

First of all thank you very much for explaining what DNS server is, in simple words 🙂. Can you please explain me little more about DNS server settings? maybe on skype? i will pm you my skype name.

And I was browsing on my android phone, and 3G on my phone was switched off so i know for sure that it was only working on my bsnl broadband.
(note:- i was not using any browser app like mini opera etc. , i was using system browser which comes with phone by default)

edit- I can't send you pm :s i mean i can't find any option such as send message 🙁

First of all thank you very much for explaining what DNS server is, in simple words 🙂. Can you please explain me little more about DNS server settings? maybe on skype? i will pm you my skype name.

And I was browsing on my android phone, and 3G on my phone was switched off so i know for sure that it was only working on my bsnl broadband.
(note:- i was not using any browser app like mini opera etc. , i was using system browser which comes with phone by default)

edit- I can't send you pm :s i mean i can't find any option such as send message 🙁
-------------------

sorry, I am not in spyke. But i thought you already set your ADSL modem to use google DNS servers? If google dns ips are already saved and internet is working as expected, you can leave it like that. I am using google dns as well. You can get me in gtalk with the same id as my id here in this forum