Airtel 3G does not revert back to EDGE plan on package consumption

aviral sangal

Senior
ISP
Tikona
What do you expect when you recharge a time based 3g plan, ie Rs11 for 30 mins. You get 3G speed for the 30 mins and then revert back to 2g speeds when you have a 2g data plan already active?.If you think so you are absolutely wrong. Once you have recharged with Rs 11 plan, since then airtel will charge all your data and i do not know at what prices because they robbed me of about Rs 1000 in just 2 hours.

This is not what I'd expect because this isn't the specs of the plan: in your circle, I can see the plan you're talking about, which is:

Pack Type: Sachet
Maximum Service Charge
Prepaid: Rs.11
Postpaid: -
Plan Benefit: 30 min
Validity: 1 day
Bill Shield Value (Postpaid only): NA
Charges Post consumption of Plan data benefit (reset every recharge): Rs 3/min
Charges Post consumption of Plan data benefit (reset every every bill cycle): NA

(Sorry about the bad formatting - see 3G Tariff Plans, Best 3G Plans, airtel Internet 3G Packs)

In other words, you'll get ticked for Rs3/min when you continue using the service. AFAIK the only one that does what you're proposing is some Rs675 which is a data-based plan (they call it "FlexiShield") - it gives 3GB to start then the rest of the time on GPRS/EDGE. It seems they are implementing this on their standard packs as well according to the page for your circle, but yeah.

That being said, I would agree with your sentiments - they *should* simply terminate the session or auto-renew the 30 minutes pack if your session is still active - which over the space of 2 hours would have saved you about Rs950, but, in 2 hours the deduction *should* have been ~Rs360, not nearly Rs1000 as you claim, so...

airtel should also not be redirecting me to their smartbytes promotion page when i have just consumed 80% of my allotted bandwidth. they seem to follow the logic with their logistics as long as it benefits them and not the consumer. 🙂

airtel should also not be redirecting me to their smartbytes promotion page when i have just consumed 80% of my allotted bandwidth. they seem to follow the logic with their logistics as long as it benefits them and not the consumer. 🙂

Can't argue with your cynical and relentlessly logical argument.

I wonder if they come up with pricing by just grabbing a calculator and mashing the buttons.

I wonder if they come up with pricing by just grabbing a calculator and mashing the buttons.

Ah, stole the words from my mouth. Similarly, for their 3g plans, they charge a LOW, REASONABLE, AFFORDABLE, Rs 250 per gb.