Forwarding spam sms to 1909 counts as a complaint now?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 7,232

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
As per this article.

Tired of pesky text messages? Forwarding it to a designated number is all it will take to initiate action against the telemarketer, according to a proposal by the telecom regulator on Friday, which included a hefty penalty on unregistered telemarketers as well.

In a consultation paper, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has suggested that unregistered telemarketers sending unsolicited commercial communication be charged Rs 500 per message. After 10 such instances, the marketer's phone connection will be disconnected.

All that mobile users are required to do is forward the unwanted message to a dedicated number - 1909 - and action will be initiated against the errant SMS sender. Web and email-based complaint registration is also on the anvil.

:rofl: can't read the article now. But seems that the one who wrote that article is from 3rd world or may be today when he woke up, his calender was showing August 2013. 😀

It is useless. When I sent sms to 1900 complaining about spam callers, My operator (Vodafone) took my complaint, but after 3-4 days closed complaint saying that they cant help or control spam callers. Rather I should install app which blocks spam callers.Is there any way by which our complaint reaches to TRAI directly? And if complaint really reaches TRAI, would they really take any action?

I won't be useless as TRAI is going in a right direction. Preset way of complaining is tedious and 90% of people didn't complaint against spam all or sms. But making a mechanism where customer simply have to forward the spam msg to 1909 will be quite easy. And with increase in complaints, Operators will be bound to take action against the spammers.

Good move by TRAI at least as IM said we can get rid of shitty preset format.Feeling bad for India Against Spam App developer, that guy was doing good work. But I guess he too will be happy that atleast his aim is achieved by other way.

err, how will they identify who the spammer is unless the contact details are mentioned in the message. If I send a spammy looking SMS from my own number a on operator b to number c on operator d and then forward it to 1909, how will they take action?

yeap. makes little sense. unless they are going to match the content of the sms from the database at the mobile operator. sounds like a very painful way of handling spam sms.

err, how will they identify who the spammer is unless the contact detilas are mentioned in the message. If I send a spammy looking SMS from my own number a on operator b to number c on operator d and then forward it to 1909, how will they take action?

There will be some provision to forward spam sms along along with Senders Name or Number . Without that it would be a useless tool.

spammers tend to consume all the available characters in their texts. i do not see how it would be possible to add even a number to it. i have a feeling that this was poor reporting by the news service i linked to in the first post.

There will be some provision to forward spam sms along along with Senders Name or Number . Without that it would be a useless tool.

I do not think so.
Delhi police ask to forward obsence nsg to a particular number to take action. I think there is a mechanism to track the msg back

For me, Vodafone customer care have become spammers. I get atleast 4 - 5 spam smses a week, which I report using 'India against Spam' app on my Android phone. For each report, their customer care call me up informing that warning has been issued or whatever the status is. So, on an average I get atleast one call every two days from Vodafone :crazy1:

I represent PhoneWarrior.mobi , we have received this draft as well. Although this is a step in the right direction, there are ways to circumvent these regulations as well. Its only a matter of time till spammers figure out how. The regulation relies on ensuring all telemarketers are registered and disconnecting non registered telemarketers who are reported to 1909. What it misses is that technology exists to spoof SMS, i.e. the SMS would show Sender as someone else's phone #. In fact, one could play a prank and get a subscriber disconnected by spoofing telemarketing messages. We would be sharing the same info with TRAI.

For me, Vodafone customer care have become spammers. I get atleast 4 - 5 spam smses a week, which I report using 'India against Spam' app on my Android phone. For each report, their customer care call me up informing that warning has been issued or whatever the status is. So, on an average I get atleast one call every two days from Vodafone :crazy1:

You are not the only one.