WhatsApp Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,620
  • Views Views 163,058
I have recently installed WhatsApp on my mother's phone. I have a doubt, and hoping that someone clears it.In her list of favorites, she has 70 contacts. Out of them, 5-6 are some unwanted guys like the manager of a Nokia Priority Store, the owner of an electronics shop, etc.My mother has their numbers, but they don't have my mother's number.Now that my mom uses WhatsApp and has them on her favorites list, will she be automatically added to their list and will they also be able to see her number?

from what i see. people having my numbers have me in their whatsapp list but they do not get automatically added to mine. i got a message from a mobile number on holi. i had to ping back asking who the person was. got a response that it was kalpik. i added his number to his name in my contacts list. so your mom's number would not be shared. only people who are on your contacts list are shown in your whatsapp list.all that said. whatsapp is supposed to have tons of vulnerabilities so if privacy is your primary concern... there could be other issues. but your number getting shared with people is probably not one of them.

I have recently installed WhatsApp on my mother's phone. I have a doubt, and hoping that someone clears it.

In her list of favorites, she has 70 contacts. Out of them, 5-6 are some unwanted guys like the manager of a Nokia Priority Store, the owner of an electronics shop, etc.
My mother has their numbers, but they don't have my mother's number.

Now that my mom uses WhatsApp and has them on her favorites list, will she be automatically added to their list and will they also be able to see her number?

They'll only be able to see her on her favourites list if they have your mother's number saved on their mobile.

Oh that clears my doubt. Thanks for the help guys. Another doubt, can't one keep a display picture on WhatsApp?

If you add a picture to a contact on your phonebook, it will show up on whatsapp too.

on my phone i only see photos that are shown in my contacts list in android. i do not see any customized profile pictures. not sure if whatsapp lets you set a different profile picture.

----------

heh. just found out the day i would install whatsapp from my phone. no way i am going to pay for a messaging service.

No I mean a profile pic (like on Fb and BBM) that is visible to all others.

That's not possible I guess. It picks up the pic from the contact list. If the other person has saved a picture in your contact, the same pic will be shown on whatsapp.

----------

on my phone i only see photos that are shown in my contacts list in android. i do not see any customized profile pictures. not sure if whatsapp lets you set a different profile picture.

----------

heh. just found out the day i would install whatsapp from my phone. no way i am going to pay for a messaging service.

Dude! You've just made your mobile number public :blink3:

We will have some better service than this, which will still be free!

----------

@ Androidfreak....

If u have him in ur circles on Google, u will have his number. I too have him on my contact list in Whatsapp, and even the main contact list....since i have merged my Google contacts with phone.

That's not possible I guess. It picks up the pic from the contact list. If the other person has saved a picture in your contact, the same pic will be shown on whatsapp.

----------

Dude! You've just made your mobile number public :blink3:

Does not matter. My number is still very public through the whois information of my domains. 🙂

----------

We will have some better service than this, which will still be free!

----------

@ Androidfreak....

If u have him in ur circles on Google, u will have his number. I too have him on my contact list in Whatsapp, and even the main contact list....since i have merged my Google contacts with phone.

there are tons of apps already. the problem is that at least in my circle and generally in india, whatsapp has become the most popular group messaging app.

this is the platform where you do not get to decide what app you would use. you end up using the app majority of your friends use.

i would personally switch to google+ messenger. but it is not available to my blackberry friends. samsung whatsapp is apparently available on blackberry but it sucks on android!

Thats what is happening with me as well. Quite a few people around me are using Whatsapp, so i too have finally started using it. But we will have to look for an alternative soon. Good thing is, most of the ppl around me using this service, are on Android, so G+ messenger will come in handy!

and my circle is still mostly a blackberry fanboy base. 😕 and in fact. a few are switching from android to blackberry.

C'mon, u shud easily convince them in going against BB! After all, apart from the Email services, what new is it offering?Even i m able to convince people around me! 😀 U wont believe, but i think after i got S2, atleast 6-8 people in my office bought Samsung devices, with few more looking to come into Android platform! If everyone is on a common platform, it gets so much easier to communicate!

blackberry offers a solid phone at around 15k with decent battery life and excellent email app with access to blackberry messenger. not everyone is fascinated with apps and full touchscreen display devices.