• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,431

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
Champions League T20: Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo, Sunil Narine to play for T&T - Sports minister | Cricket News | Champions League T20 | ESPN Cricinfo

According to Trinidad Express, Anil Roberts, the minister of sport, said an agreement had been reached with the three players to turn out for their national team and not their IPL franchise. CLT20 rules allow players to pick the team they wish to play for and in the past players had chosen their IPL franchises, which then compensated to the players' home teams.

However, the Knight Riders team director, Joy Bhattacharjya said on Twitter that the franchise's chief executive, Venky Mysore, had indicated Narine would play for his IPL franchise.

Roberts also said he had spoken to the franchises to explain the government's position. "I also explained to them, because some of them are quite upset ... I said, 'please for a moment, just picture Mahendra Singh Dhoni or Sachin Tendulkar or [Suresh] Raina deciding or contemplating to play for a club ahead of India. I don't think that would even be a choice. I don't think they would even be able to set foot in their land of their birth if ever they even consider disappointing their countrymen and their country by playing for club for money'.

I hope they play for T&T. One of my favourite club teams. If not any local team, I would like them to win.

If players decided to play for T&T, then would T&T pay amount to I P L teams of these respective players? If yes, then T&T would be ruined as that amount would be huge 🙂

If players decided to play for T&T, then would T&T pay amount to I P L teams of these respective players? If yes, then T&T would be ruined as that amount would be huge 🙂

If IP L team wants a player and the player agrees, the IP L team needs to pay the club team. Viceversa is not true. TT is talking about compensating players so that they choose them instead of IP L team

Unfortunately

Champions League 2012 : Players choose IPL teams over domestic sides in Champions League | Cricket News | Champions League T20 | ESPN Cricinfo

All nine players who were nominated for two teams in next month's Champions League Twenty20 in South Africa have opted to represent their respective IPL teams over their domestic sides. This includes the Trinidad and Tobago players Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine, who will now turn out for Chennai Super Kings, Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders. The squads of all 14 teams were released today.

The other players who have confirmed their participation for their IPL teams include Faf du Plessis, Albie Morkel and Michael Hussey (Super Kings), Mitchell Johnson (Mumbai), Brett Lee (Knight Riders) and Morne Morkel (Delhi Daredevils).

I guess we will start seeing players like Azhar Mahmood, Chris Gayle, Shahid Afridi for sure in CL T20 as they would qualify from one league or the other.

Its sad that these people chose to play for a club, instead of their country itself T&T.

Its all about money!And the way WICB treats its players, they sure have to look for themselves and hence financial security

Actually even WICB or even West Indies I would care less, but if T&T minister was offering some compensation - They could have opted to play for their "country" which is T&T. But then, maybe do not want to upset their franchise owners, which in turn would affect future signings.

In this case we cant just blame the players alone...If i was in their situation i might have done the same thing...We dont know the exact scenario of those players and their boards....

Thats what, I am saying if money was a factor, we have the minister offering the same. Not sure if that would have actually happened. WICB has no saying as such in this tournament. Except perhaps organizing the domestic league and allowing the winner to participate in the tournament. From what I have read T&T board is much better than the WICB. The few factors are that financially they will be affected and the team alone would be a much weaker side by itself, and may require the entire process of qualifying as a associate and wait to become a Test nation, and these are the reasons they are still sticking to WICB.

This is turning out to be embarrassingly bad for them

Champions League Twenty20 : T&T players roll back on CLT20 pull-out | Cricket News | Champions League T20 | ESPN Cricinfo

A major embarrassment for the Trinidad & Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) and the WICB was avoided after the Trinidad & Tobago players departed for South Africa to compete in the Champions League Twenty20 after initially threatening to pull out of the tournament over a monetary dispute with the TTCB.

The dispute began on October 3 when five T&T players - Denesh Ramdin, Darren Bravo, Ravi Rampaul, Lendl Simmons and Samuel Badree - currently in Sri Lanka representing West Indies in the World Twenty20, told the TTCB that they would participate in the CLT20 only if the board shared with them the $450,000 it received for allowing Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and Sunil Narine to represent their IPL teams instead of their country.

It is understood the situation worsened on Thursday morning, when the ten other members of the T&T squad also refused to travel to South Africa on their 5pm flight from Port-of-Spain unless the demands were met. The problem had arisen six days before T&T's first game in the qualifying stage of the Champions League and it caught the TTCB off guard.

Reacting to the development, the TTCB initially explained to the players that a guaranteed sum of more than $20,000 was assured to each individual for two qualification matches. Ramnarine pointed out that in case the team advanced to the main round, the TTCB had guaranteed an additional $200,000 before taxes. It was also reported that 75% of the monies and any other prize money would be shared among the squad.

That, however, did not change the players' minds and so the TTCB reportedly asked the selectors to appoint five replacements. Former West Indies players Mervyn Dillon, Daren Ganga, and Dave Mohammed were sounded out, along with the pair of Justin Guillen and Stephen Katwaroo.

However, after last-minute negotiations, the T&T players decided to board the flight to Johannesburg.