Google TV (Previously Google Play Movies & TV)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 11,143
My app got updated in auto. Can see movies section now. I am looking forward to magazines though so that everything gets centralised for me.

So which is cheaper Itunes or Play Store? And is there DRM on the Play Store downloads as well?

VIdeos on Apple iTunes play only inside iTunes on desktop or on Apple iOS devices. Personally I think Google's version is slightly more open as you can play the videos inside a web browser on YouTube.

Spent some time reading the help documents... This is what I get.
Adobe Flash Player is a must for YouTube on desktop.
Videos can be downloaded on Android devices but not on desktop.
I could not find an answer to the question I was looking for... What is the audio quality in HD version of the movies. Dolby? Surround Sound? Someone asked me this on Google+

I think it uses RTP so no. There are ways to record movies but it is not as simple as downloading directly from YouTube.

Google Seems pretty serious regarding Play Store in India. But they really need to work on more payment options. Not everyone has got a CC. :thumbdown:

chromaniac said:
Official Announcement: Google Play on Google+

Anyhow. If anyone does buy or rent a movie on this store... Feel free to post experience.

I mean... I would want to know if the movies can be cached locally (for rentals specifically?). And how about YouTube? All stream and no caching?
I went through all the help pages and have been able to understand that you can download the movies(even for rentals) to your android devices just like you can do for books by pressing the pin next to it. BUT you will only be able to stream to your PC. If you don't have a Samsung Android base TV the forget to watch it on big screens as who will want to stream a movie every time you wanna watch in this FUPed world? Watching through htpc is limited to sd as YouTube is somhow not offering HD version of these movies. Also lack of the Nexus Q the world over has added more problems, at least Apple sells its Apple TV here also.

Audio codecs are really not known.

It has just boiled down to nada for me. I will rather buy a dvd or rent a blue ray, which at moviemart.in is much cheaper.

Sorry Google its a pass for movie buffs who would have liked to the pay for stuff if your platform was more open (read drm free) and better priced for us Indians. You should have at least checked the rental market here, before fixing the rental rates at least.

this is good .. as google is taking indian market seriously ,,,
first books then nexus 7 and now movie ... but every one is waiting for nexus series .. interesting to see when the same is available in india ...

Sorry Google its a pass for movie buffs who would have liked to the pay for stuff if your platform was more open (read drm free) and better priced for us Indians. You should have at least checked the rental market here, before fixing the rental rates at least.
I am going to state the obvious here. Google does not own the content they are selling/renting. They have to buy the rights for the same from the media giants who are the ones deciding upon the pricing. So, it’s not like Google is charging a premium by choice. And this is the reason why media would more or less cost the same on Apple iTunes and Google Play. The minor price difference would depend upon the kind of deals Apple and Google signed up with the movie labels etc.
As for DRM… Google is slightly more open compared to Apple. I am assuming that you should be able to rent and watch movies on a Linux computer as long as you have Adobe Flash Player installed. With Apple iTunes, you are probably stuck with a device that can run Apple iTunes desktop application.
DRM Free music is available in India which is great news in itself. DRM Free movies and books… Sadly, it is taking longer than usual to happen.

chromaniac said:
As for DRM… Google is slightly more open compared to Apple. I am assuming that you should be able to rent and watch movies on a Linux computer as long as you have Adobe Flash Player installed. With Apple iTunes, you are probably stuck with a device that can run Apple iTunes desktop application
I am not ok with the drm on both platforms, but they do allow upto 5 machines to be activated with one user account. So you can share everything with 4 friends at 1 time. But itunes store lets you know the size of the downloads, both HD and SD, plus supports dolby 5.1 audio whereas with google play movies you are stuck with Stereo sound and 192 kbps aac at the max(this is what youtube supports). So with no download option to a hard drive, and fup world that we live in, I will always pick itunes store over play store. I already bought enough licenses of win 8 while they were worth $40 🙂

I do not remember what the policy was with rental. So, I am thinking rental can only be downloaded on one Android device at a time. Could be wrong though.