• Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,578
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Let me start with review for some "must have" apps for WP7. I would like to start with none other than most important app which I used regularly on my Symbian phone. Its Google Maps. Although WP7 doesnt have official app for Google Maps, and I was not impressed native map application provided by MS, so I downloaded free version of "gMaps" which is unofficial client for Google Maps.
It is far better app for Maps and Navigation. It takes just few seconds for the app to show my location, and if we are in moving vehicle, it will continuously track our position on road. It would also show speed if we are moving (I guess it should be same on Android 🙂 )
It has 2 modes, position mode, which has North on top, while driving mode, which show Car symbol for our location and Map would rotate automatically such that direction of driving would always remain on top.
App location for free version - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/7b8bedd5-4368-e011-81d2-78e7d1fa76f8

Other WP7 users, please add your app reviews here, I will also keep updating reviews of apps which I use on my Windows Phone 🙂

I have "Now" app for Weather and News which is developed by Samsung. But I wanted some other app for Weather which I could keep on Live Tile and it should show current weather.
I tried AccuWeather.com (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/92507698-67a2-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8) and Weather Channel (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/afae337c-41d2-df11-9eae-00237de2db9e) apps.

I found AccuWeather app faster, and updated Live Tile frequently as well. Weather Channel app is good too, but I found it sluggish compared to previous app.

Today I experienced a real shocker when I tried to purchase app from Windows Marketplace.I was trying to purchase "Angry Birds" from Marketplace. I had selected "India" as region for Marketplace. When I went to paid version to purchase, I was getting message that I cant make purchase from this region. I should try my "home" marketplace, which had also given link in message. When I clicked link, it took me to UK page of app with price in Pounds (£). I wondered how it happened. I thought my Windows Live ID may have address of UK (where I created it), but I had set address to India. Then I checked Microsoft Billing link, and in my account settings my ID is linked to UK, as my ID was created in UK. I cannot change country here in profile settings.So now I cant make purchase with Indian Credit cards as they are having Indian address, while my Windows Account is supposedly to be in UK 🙁And worst part is if I have to change my Windows ID on my phone, I would have to rest my phone, which would lose all apps installed till now and also lose all contacts as both apps and contacts are linked with current Windows ID.

AFAIK, it is possible to have different locales for the phone and the Marketplace. However, once the locale for the Marketplace is set, it cannot be changed. So if at the time of setting up your Marketplace account the region was selected as India, it should work. Microsoft usually suggests a reboot if the Marketplace and phone regions are different, after the initial setting. Have you tried that?

Yes. I tried that. My Marketplace region is India, my Windows profile is also set for India, and my location in mobile is also India.But for billing purpose my Windows account (which also links to Zune ID) is set for UK as I had registered my account while I was in UK. Funny thing is even while registering I had selected MSN India site and my ID is "@live.in" yet it has taken my default country as UK.

Some more apps which I have used, and found worth mentioning 🙂
Flashlight-X http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/2638b778-5eab-45f1-a511-a08e1dbde751 nice app to use phone flash as torch. Now it also has compass which shows direction on top side of screen
Tube Pro http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/558b56d7-1318-4cad-acdd-bd673e06655f earlier known as Supertube. Its Youtube client which also allows downloading Youtube videos. But I havent found option to transfer downloaded video in phone or to Computer, as downloaded videos are only accessible through TubePro app only.

have never used a wp device so cannot say. but from what i understand, having shortcuts to apps on the homescreen means you have to tile them and these tiles are live in nature. maybe they could be made 'dead'. no idea really.

anyone here using a wp device would be able to help!

same is the problem with metro ui on windows 8 and windows rt. if you have tiles for photos and email accounts, they are going to be right there on the homescreen!
I have few tiles which are live and change as below-
People Tile - it just keep changing photos of contacts (1/9 or 1/4 size of tile) in various transtion effect.
"Me" Tile - Displays My Profile picture and notification for any Facebook comments if any.
Phone Tile - displays number of missed call if any (otherwise static tile).
Messeging tile - displays number of unread sms (otherwise static tile).
Email Tiles - For Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook, it would display number of unread mails (otherwise static tile).
Accuweather Tile - display current temperature and weather (like Sunny, Cloudy, rainy by graphics)
Marketplace Tile - displays number of apps update available (otherwise static tile).
Picture Tile - displays pictures Thumbnails, but we can select static picture and stop transition of all pictures.
Music and Videos Tile - Its static tile.
Calendar Tile - Static tile, displays events like Birthdays if added in Calendar of Windows Live (also from Facebook, Google Calendar if configured).

There are many apps like Twitter, Whatsapp, Cricinfo, NDTV, IM+ which could show notification on Tiles if enabled, or we can have them static as well by disabling "Live Tiles" from their setting. But I dont use any of this on my home screen 🙂
Any of above mentioned Tiles can be deleted from Home Screen I guess. (but I never tried deleting all Tiles).

Status
Not open for further replies.