Net Stalls Till I Restart!

• Thread starter Thread starter wildseid
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 3,801

wildseid

I am using a laptop with wireless connection to my Airtel broadband, as well as a PC connected directly. If I leave the connection on for a while without activity, or if I bring the laptop out of standby mode my net stalls and I cannot view any webpage. Once I restart it works perfectly. This is becoming really irritating as I rarely switch my computer off , so every time I return to it I have to restart.I've had this problem from the beginning. The airtel guys have no clue... and have replaced the modem 3 times with no luck...can anyone help!thanks!!

i also had this prob ...bt it was due to electricity fluctuation....i had xp then...bt now i hv win 2000....so this prob is gone....switch to 2000 🙂

well the first thing I would test is whether the same problem is happening when the connection is wired, i.e. you will find out whether it is something in your wireless router / configuration or not.and if you can borrow someone's laptop that has wifi, then you could see if the same problem happens with that too. If not, then you can be pretty sure it's got something to do with your laptop.also, try this: next time the problem happens, instead of restarting your computer, power off and restart your wireless router. See if that makes a change.

It happens even when its directly connected... and I also tested it with 3 other laptops... same problem so I dont think its my computer...I'll test powering the modem off and on next time and see if that works... But it still makes the whole process annoying...

hmmm, weird, that means that the problem is probably in the configuration of your ADSL modem.Try this... (assuming you have a Beetel 220bx ADSL modem):Get into your modem config (192.168.1.1/main.html), and click on LAN in the menu on the left. There should be a setting there called "Leased Time (hour)". by default the value will probably be 20 or so. Change it to 200. Power down your modem, wireless router, laptop. Restart them all, and see if anything happens.(p.s. when you say directly connected, that means that it is wired to your ADSL modem and not your wireless router, right? If not, try directly connecting it to the ADSL modem).If nothing happens, then how comfortable/willing are you to reinstall windows on your system?

its the feature in modem 220BX, which is dropping the connection if it is idle for some specific time.the name of this feature is "Dial on Demand"you can disable this feature by going into modem configuration. you have to give value a "0" in dial on demand: feature, you'll never get disconnected automatically.for more info about this feature, please reply back.. i'll provide the whole procedure..

hahaha! no way! we have someone from customer care on this forum? Are you for real Airtel Buddie? If so, please send me a PM if you have an info on (1) Airtel IPTV and (2) If and when will we see higher speeds from Airtel (>512kbps).

Vebmetal,

Well buddy, IPTV WAS available only in gurgaon only on TRIAL BASIS . Now Airtel stopped giving fresh IPTV connection in Gurgaon also..

Airtel will be shortly Launching IPTV services in Delhi also.. Have patience my friend, i'll mail u all the Tariffs n offers as soon as the IPTV launches.. Me also don't know the exact date of launch of IPTV in NCR region..

as far as concerned to the higher speeds than 512 Kbps connection, FYI, Airtel has stopped its only MAX 512 Kbps connection in Residential category. The freedom combo plan with MAX speed of UPTO 512 Kbps (contention Ratio 1:2) is stopped WEF 1/11/2006.. it means Airtel is reluctant to give more speed than 256 Kbps to its residential segment users.

Now if you call customer care & ask for freedom combo plan, u'll get the reply as "Sorry Sir ! But that plan is not available for subscription from 1st of November 2006."

You can check it by yourself by calling CC.

Well, for that problem of yours, my friend wildseid, please log into the modem configurations by entering user id as admin & password as password ... on left side, u'll get some links.

U'll have to click on WAN link. On the right Hand side, it'll show you the table.

U'll have to click on EDIT button in the last of table

it'll show u the page with VPI & VCI values. VPI should be "1" & VCI should be "32".. click on "NEXT"

on next page, the "PPPoE" option must be selected..

then on the third page, where it shows the PPPusername & PPP password, it'll show you that Dila on Demand option

You have to uncheck that & click on next.. after that click on next again & click on "SAVE" then click on "SAVE/REBOOT"

Ur modem will be rebooted. then wait till all the lights come & get stable on modem

after that, connect & leave the connection idle for as much time as you want.. u'll not get disconnected automatically..

if you face any problem , please reply back with details of problem

i am in gurgaon for the last two years. and i am yet to meet anyone around here who is part of the airtel test of IPTV services.have no idea how they pick their beta testers for services like this. we are here in sector 31...the only calls we get from airtel are junk calls telling us about new (sic!) services. these are automated calls and i would consider them illegal considering it's equivalent to spamming.

Thanks Max Bhai...Crazy bhai, there is no profit in giving speeds more than 256 kbps in home connections. if you calculate on average basis of internet usage in every household, 80-85 % users don't bother about speed, what they want is that their task should be completed. thats all :huh: its only 15% users who really care & who are enough computer literate to check n worry about all these technical terms. then y don't go for monopoly? 🤔 why should give speeds upto 512 kbps in such country where more than 50% of internet users are computer illiterate? :mellow: U won't believe, but i have taken the call of MD of a BPO who had a so called Doctorate degree, but he didnot know nothing about computer... when i told him to click on "start Menu" he told me that there is no start menu in his pc :blink: ... i thought he was using MAC so when i asked him which OS he's using, he told me that he's using win 200 XP :lol: Now i think you can understand y airtel has stopped that Max 512 Kbps plan.... there is no use of giving high speeds to users of residential segment as per the company view... & thats the right business strategy.

I don't agree.... Cos if 85% of users r not going to use the bandwidth then it doesn't mean tht rest of 15% have to suffer cos of them... If those 85% don't use the bandwidth then send tht extra bandwidth to who need them 😉

maybe we should just have maruti 800 on sale in india considering the driving capabilities of the people living in india and the quality of roads.no sir. we can legally go and buy a porsche or a bently in india. just because it is all about choice.provide packages before deciding whether it would be usable for anyone or not.we have tons of elderly people in india who would benefit from faster connections. instead of relying on voice chat, they could do video conferencing with their kids and grandsons living abroad.just because 90% of the people in india cannot afford even buying a computer does not mean you should stop selling them. you have to know your targeted market and we are part of that market. fulfill our wishes and we won't mind paying for it.sadly, no one dares to offer us what we want in the end.