Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
Regulars
Jun 13, 2009
Manmohan Singh: I have reached thus far due to my education.A Congress partyman: Are you trying to tell that other Congress workers are illiterate?

Raditz

Regular
Regulars
Jul 14, 2007
Ha HA...but its a good initiative, just day before yesterday i was reading about how the Supreme court has had to improvise all these years, what the govt should have been doing in the first place. My only concern now is , whether how far the govt. is able to implement and whether the 10K fine is really an option when u consider ppl who are barely able to earn a day's food.

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
Regulars
Jun 13, 2009
Mayawati says her govt doesn't have money for effecting this thing

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
well the money has been spent in making statues... and parks.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i think she made these huge parks with statues of herself and some other personalities. and elephants? she has this huge house coming up in south delhi with huge elephant statues too :D

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
apparently usa is not doing too good in terms of education...

[URL=" - Waiting for Superman Official Trailer[/URL]

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

[video=youtube;ZKTfaro96dg]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTfaro96dg[/video]

Last edited:

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
The wisest comment on Indian governance that I have heard in a very, very long time came from a member of the faculty of Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. Speaking about our useless Right to Education law, this is what Lant Pritchett told this newspaper. “The RTE is one of the most massively ill-conceived things that happened. At a time when India should have been thinking about the evidence on the table of learning problems, you have just enshrined an additional legislation, an input-led approach and focus to schooling that we know will fail.”

In simple words, what this means is that children who go to the average government school usually end up finishing school without being able to calculate a simple sum or read a children’s storybook. This is our real problem. What we need is not a ‘right’ to this kind of lousy education but a serious effort to improve our government schools. They are so bad that the poorest Indians try to send their children to private schools that now exist even in remote villages.

It is not just in education that we think legislation is a panacea. Our political leaders appear to believe that a new law is some kind of magic wand in every area of governance. The Sonia-Manmohan government has shown a special weakness for new laws. So they made a law guaranteeing employment and spent more than Rs 40,000 crore on it at the outset. Without noticing that it mostly ended up misspent, they expanded the programme. Then, there was that law giving Adivasi communities the right to cultivating forest land. I was in a Gujarati forest at the time and saw local officials go mad trying to prevent combine harvesters from mowing down trees.

Legally obsessed — www.indianexpress.com — Readability