Chelsea Manning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UFFkcCh-pCc

The photograph was attached to an email Manning had sent to a therapist, Capt. Michael Worsley, about his gender identity, in which he expressed a belief that his career in the military might "get rid of it." Manning's lawyers introduced the email and photograph as part of the trial.
https://goo.gl/39UCSn

This is insane. Shows how homophob US government/military is.

He has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.
This is the latest.
Bradley Manning said in a statement revealed Thursday that he wants to live the rest of his life as a woman.“I am Chelsea Manning. I am female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition,” the statement said.
https://goo.gl/BhZPZy

Chelsea Manning Asks Obama to Cut Sentence to Time Served - The New York Times

In a statement accompanying her petition, a copy of which her lawyer provided to The New York Times, Ms. Manning again said she took “full and complete responsibility” for her actions, which she called “wrong.” She also described her difficult life, including the turmoil she faced at the time of her leaks as she came to grips with gender dysphoria while deployed to Iraq, her treatment in prison, and her multiple suicide attempts.

“I am not asking for a pardon of my conviction,” she wrote. “I understand that the various collateral consequences of the court-martial conviction will stay on my record forever. The sole relief I am asking for is to be released from military prison after serving six years of confinement as a person who did not intend to harm the interests of the United States or harm any service members.”

Ms. Manning’s petition was accompanied by letters of support from Daniel Ellsberg, who is famous for leaking a classified history of the Vietnam War known as the Pentagon Papers; Morris Davis, a former military commissions chief prosecutor; and Glenn Greenwald, a legal commentator and journalist who has been an outspoken supporter.

Mr. Snowden has also been charged under the Espionage Act, but he is living as a fugitive in Russia. In September, a group of Mr. Snowden’s supporters asked Mr. Obama to pardon him, although the White House has already ruled that out.

Ms. Manning had petitioned for a full pardon three years ago, shortly after she was convicted and announced that she was transgender and was changing her name. She wrote in her statement that she now understood that her request had been premature and that “the relief requested was too much.”

President Obama Commutes Prison Sentence For Chelsea Manning

snowden is looking tough.

White House spokesperson Josh Earnest spoke about the possibility of clemency on Friday, saying Manning was “exposed to due process, was found guilty,” and that she “acknowledged wrongdoing.” He also appeared to close the door on last-minute clemency for other whistleblowers, saying NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden revealed material that is “far more serious and far more dangerous.”

what they forget to mention is that there are people in government (mccain for instance) and even military generals who have leaked far more sensitive information and they are still in usa and part of the government.