Yahoo hacked: 4.5 lakh passwords reportedly posted online

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Yahoo hacked: 4.5 lakh passwords reportedly posted online - Tech News - IBNLive

The affected accounts appeared to belong to a voice-over-Internet-protocol, or VOIP, service called Yahoo Voices, which runs on Yahoo's instant messenger. The Voices service is powered by Jajah, a VOIP platform that was bought by Telefonica Europe BV in 2010.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Yahoo - Yes.Yahoo Voice - No Clue.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Yahoo Voice is not a service that is used by regular users. I am not sure if it uses the same Yahoo ID as other services. The problem is that even if you do not use any Yahoo service today, you are still likely to have an account on their platform. And the password on it is very much likely to be used on other services.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Since all the accounts are in plain-text, anyone with an account present in the leak which also has the same password on other sites (e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc), should assume that someone has accessed their account.

Statistics about Yahoo leak of 450.000 plain-text accounts

my yahoo password is used at multiple places. i am literally ****ed as a result :)

lol. just changed my yahoo password. would now have to change passwords at 100s of other locations :D

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
^Thats the risk of having common password. But yes, we cannot remember 100 passwords, but atleast you can categorize & have atleast 7-8 of them.Meanwhile, I am thinking if I should also change. Yahoo Voice - does it involve using voice chat on Yahoo Messenger?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
yahoo voices. it is a content syndication network that yahoo acquired sometime ago. not sure if they merged the user accounts of that acquired company with their own network. and yes, i do have multiple passwords. yahoo of course had a more secure password because i have set it for password recovery on my gmail account.

xyx2000

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 21, 2005
If i have never used yahoo voice is my email a/c safe?, my main email is yahoo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IBF Apps 7
IBF Apps 0
IBF Apps 3
Sushubh Apps 3
Sushubh Privacy, Security and Rights 0