Hathway coverage in Hyderabad

• Thread starter Thread starter haridsv
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 33,011

haridsv

ISP
BSNL
I just moved to Hyderabad and the community manages their own internet/tv connections from most providers (there is a person dedicated for this in maintenance department). I just inquired about the available choices, which were Hathway, Airtel and Tata, and Hathway seems like the best option for HD TV, if considering the monthly service cost alone. It seems, whether I want HD or not, the monthly price is Rs.200 which includes all the channels. However, the cost of the HD STB is Rs.6500 (compared to Rs.1500 for SD STB), so considering that I will be moving in a few months I would like to consider the coverage in Hyderabad and if it is worth investing that much on a service specific device. Per the maintenance person, Hathway is offered at almost all houses in Hyderabad, but I don't want to take his word for it, especially that it feels like he is "selling" it over others.

Hathway is by far the largest cable service provider in Hyderabad, though its service levels might differ in most places.If HD is an important need for you then though 6500 seems high, it is not actually so. However, other options like Airtel HD, Tata Sky HD and Videocon HD are also very popular here.From your first line, I infer that you have a transferable job. In such a case I'd would feel that Videocon HD is the best choice.However, if you can live happily without HD, then Hathway SD is ideal for you.

Thanks @vrij for the quick reply. I don't have a transferable job, but I see myself buying a house in the near future 🙂I have a 55" HDTV, so would definitely want HD to take advantage of it as much as possible. I don't particularly mind the price, but being "deal minded", I would like to know if this is going to be a good investment (considering an imminent move), and in general want to take a more informed decision. I have gone through some of the past messages on this board, and it seems as though that people are in general happy here. I will also try to get some feedback on the actual quality of the service from residents of the community. When you say Rs.6500 is not high, do you mean not high compared to equivalent devices from other service providers, or not high considering the value (ie., HD being a must) and the savings you get from service charge (ie., it being low compared to others)?

Thanks @vrij for the quick reply. I don't have a transferable job, but I see myself buying a house in the near future 🙂

I have a 55" HDTV, so would definitely want HD to take advantage of it as much as possible. I don't particularly mind the price, but being "deal minded", I would like to know if this is going to be a good investment (considering an imminent move), and in general want to take a more informed decision. I have gone through some of the past messages on this board, and it seems as though that people are in general happy here. I will also try to get some feedback on the actual quality of the service from residents of the community.

When you say Rs.6500 is not high, do you mean not high compared to equivalent devices from other service providers, or not high considering the value (ie., HD being a must) and the savings you get from service charge (ie., it being low compared to others)?

Go a head with hathway HD no prob for u. coverage prob wont arise in Hyd for hathway almost all of the areas covered by Hathway(some places hathway LCOs and some places private LCos).So coverage not an issue.By the HD STB cost not 6500 now it reduced 1000 rs.so cost is only 5500(depends on area).and one year free for all channels including SD and HD.

Go a head with hathway HD no prob for u. coverage prob wont arise in Hyd for hathway almost all of the areas covered by Hathway(some places hathway LCOs and some places private LCos).So coverage not an issue.By the HD STB cost not 6500 now it reduced 1000 rs.so cost is only 5500(depends on area).and one year free for all channels including SD and HD.
Thank you for the assurance and for the tip on lower price. I called the local number and she said it will be Rs.6000 with installation charges, however there is no 1yr free service for SD and HD, as she mentioned that I still have to pay the Rs.200/month charge (or whatever it costs in my area). Do you think she is not informed, or was there a promotion at some point?

No.hathway is giving one year free for all channels.I think she is from private LCO(not hathway).then they will charge 200rs per month.First of all confirm ur area in hyderabad I will give you all details about that area..I will tell u directly hathway covering that area or not.

No.hathway is giving one year free for all channels.I think she is from private LCO(not hathway).then they will charge 200rs per month.First of all confirm ur area in hyderabad I will give you all details about that area..I will tell u directly hathway covering that area or not.

I am in Kondapur, near Chirec public school. I first looked up their number from their website, but it seems invalid, as it would not connect from a mobile or landline. Then I looked up number from justdial and she said it is the the company office, though she could be lying. I would really appreciate if you could give me the number to call for getting the better deal.

040-66989898,04066460023 r hathway helpline numbers.talk to them and let me know.Hathway doesnt have the coverage for Kondapur .It is some private LCO operating.So u have to contact them.prise must be little bit higher for HD STB and u have to pay monthly charges to ur local LCO.

Thanks @bhaskarkilli, after a lot of run around and talking to a lot of people, I got the full picture of what is included and what is not. The HD device, does cost only Rs.5,500, but it only includes 1yr of "HD" service. What this means is that, you have to continue to pay the regular SD service fee, as usual. After 1yr, if you don't renew the HD service (which is currently Rs.2,000/yr), you will loose HD channels, and it will function somewhat as an SD device. It was also unclear if they will home deliver the device or not, one person said they can do it and that they will inform the right person to call me back, but another person said it is not possible. Even if they do the delivery, they would still charge Rs.500 extra (per the person who claimed they can do it), so since the final difference is only Rs.500, I decided to go with the building management itself.Thanks a lot to those who responded and helped me understand the real cost. Essentially, the longterm cost per month is similar to that of other services, since you would end up paying Rs.3,500 per the device (subtracting the included 1yr HD service fee) and pay monthly Rs.166 HD + the regular cable fee (about Rs.366 in my case), which is apparently about what my colleagues are paying for Airtel and Tata Sky.

Can any one please help me whether Miyapur is covered by Hathway LCO or Private LCO and I am looking for Hathway HD setup Box, is the current price Rs.5500 or is there any reduction.?

It looks like Hathway run out of HD boxes, I have been trying to get one from the last one month. no stock available.Is it the same case in rest of Hyderabad also ?

Hathway HD set-top boxes are available at Hathway Service Centre, Himayatnagar.

I have been calling them for last one month, (phone number is from :: hathw@y :: site), I also inquired through my local cable operator, he also told me the same. No stock and they don't know whey they come back.

It's really absurd for the size of company like Hathway.

I really don't want to go to DTH as they don't cover many telugu news channels what Hathway gives.