When will India get unlimited 3g?

• Thread starter Thread starter agriz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 9,695

agriz

ISP
DATAONE
I haven't know know anything about 2G. I haven't used. I don't know whether 2G has unlimited plans. Why 3G is still limited when there are lot of mobile and internet users in India?I am hearing 4G now 😉Funny country.

3G unlimited would possible on MTNL, get sim from Mumbai,Delhi and use Unlimited 3G on BSNL network!

The answer to that is "hopefully never". 3G is a good medium when usage is controlled but when you exceed a certain threshold, the towers can't handle it and everybody suffers with shitty service, dropped calls & slow speeds - and all because you wanted to download the latest torrent of some movie.Unlimited, especially the way it's sold & used here, is a horrible idea, and we've all seen what's happened to the networks that have tried it. At least in the other countries where I've been where unlimited 3G does exist they have viable wired alternatives, so the networks there don't get hammered and quality of service remains good.

Yea ..3G should not be used a primary internet connection. If there are many 3G users in a particular area, the tower would not be able to handle the load and as a result everybody gets shitty service. 4G is another matter ofcourse

4G is basically the same problem with a new name - and compounded because the speeds are faster.

When other developed countries can give, then why should India have problem in providing it? Can't Indian Service Providers at least copy the idea from other countries?

When other developed countries can give, then why should India have problem in providing it? Can't Indian Service Providers at least copy the idea from other countries?

As per my original reply:

At least in the other countries where I've been where unlimited 3G does exist they have viable wired alternatives, so the networks there don't get hammered and quality of service remains good.

In other words, even with "unlimited" 3G, people only use a few GBs a month anyway because when they want to do any serious downloading, they do it at home on their wired connections. This is not the case in India because good wired connections are not widely available yet.

bcoz indians have the mentality of suck all u can till u can !!! the concept of using only as much as needed is alien to ppl here. and secondly everyone wants unlimited but nobody wants to pay the kind of money the europeans are being charged !! lolzthe govt needs to step up the fiber laying seriously to make such things viable so that wireless is used only when access to wired data is unavailable.

bcoz indians have the mentality of suck all u can till u can !!! the concept of using only as much as needed is alien to ppl here. and secondly everyone wants unlimited but nobody wants to pay the kind of money the europeans are being charged !! lolz

What are you talking about? Europeans have some of the cheapest, highest-quality Internet on the planet! The main difference between here and Europe: they get incredible value for money by comparison. Here you get 1mbit/s, there they get full-speed.

If an existing provider offered you something like full speed ADSL with a halfway decent FUP (say 250GB for example) + 10GB 3G for a reasonable price, would you not buy it?

My imagined price for such a combo (2.5-3k) is not far removed from what many people here pay already when you combine Internet & phone services (1-1.5k for internet and say 1k for cellphone when you take in to account phone & 3G) - and this is in line with what Europeans pay already, AND the FUPs mentioned are in line with what is available in many countries already.

the govt needs to step up the fiber laying seriously to make such things viable so that wireless is used only when access to wired data is unavailable.

No kidding.

mgcarley is right.

I should have asked about wired connection.

I just asked about 3G. in the name of 3G, we are getting just upto 3.1 mbps.
my wired connection from bsnl is 512kbps for 1k.

I have used american network which downloads gbs in few second and they are dealing in TB.
Here we are still dealing with MB in very slow speed 🙁

mgcarley is right.

I should have asked about wired connection.

I just asked about 3G. in the name of 3G, we are getting just upto 3.1 mbps.

ON CDMA, yes, but some of the GSM-based networks are offering 7.2, 14.4 or 21.1mbit/s if you have a device that supports it (most people don't).

my wired connection from bsnl is 512kbps for 1k.

1k is what... 15 euros? You won't get much for 15 euros in most countries (there's the basic cost of the infrastructure which needs to be contended with, so there will always be a lower limit to pricing) but for 30 euros a connection of 10mbit/s can be availed... the thing with pricing in Europe is, though, is that the next tier isn't just "double the rate, double the price" as it is here, the value gets extraordinarily good when you start getting to the higher service tiers.

The same company that offers 10mbit/s for 30EUR offers 40mbit/s for all of... 36EUR, and 100mbit/s for 45EUR, 200mbit/s for 55EUR and 350mbit/s for 70EUR. Using the same base price and tiers of the Europeans but the mathematics of existing telcos, one would expect the 40mbit/s connection here to cost 120EUR, a 100mbit/s connection here would cost 300EUR, 200mbit/s 600EUR and 350mbit/s over 1000EUR per month, which is... ridiculous... because someone on a 350mbit/s line isn't necessarily using 35x as much capacity. Based on the European pricing, the variation in actual usage is maybe about 120%.

I have used american network which downloads gbs in few second and they are dealing in TB.

Sure? Still not many gigabit networks in the US and fewer still that would let you download TBs per month without paying for it 😉

Here we are still dealing with MB in very slow speed 🙁

There's nothing wrong with dealing in megabits just so long as the pricing isn't stupid: the incentive to upgrade your line should be there. Sure, you can start with 512k for 1k a month, but for 1.5k they should provide up to 4mbit/s and for 2k they should provide up to 8 and so on - not like it is now where you'd get 512k for 1k, 1m for 2k, 2m for 4k etc, or as I've suggested elsewhere, full-rate speeds on DSL with reasonable data charges.

Or, there's no reason that a combination of the two couldn't co-exist: basic charges Rs199 per month or whatever, no speed limit and data at Rs10/GB, for users up to a certain level (say 50GB/month). Once you get beyond that unlimited plans could in theory start coming in, with speeds being offered as mentioned. This is something that could be done *now*, and AFAIK without any changes to infrastructure.

I'm of the opinion that extreme changes in the way things are priced is what needs to happen for Indian broadband to progress the way we'd all like it to, not regulation and more plans that don't actually get implemented due to, guess what, poor broadband uptake.

If I was Kapil Sibbal :haha😛lan Name: BSNL 3G MAX UNLIMITED UPTO 30GB SPEED 7.2Mbps, POST FUP CONSUMPTION SPEED WILL BE 880Kbps, UPLOAD SPEED 3Mbps UPTO 12GB, 512kbps Beyond 12GBMonthly Charge 650/- Incl All Taxes For Both Prepaid and PostpaidBest Plan for AAM ADMI :thumbup1😛ay 199/- extra and Get Full speed upto 3.6mbps on Weekends with Unlimited Downloading without any FUP howz that?? :haha:

is it not Aircel already has unlimited 3G plans? thought speed reduced to 128Kbps after FUP, still its 3G network.. This is some what similar to wired BB plans and after FUP, its reduced to 256K!

128kbps is still pretty cool. from what i remember airtel drops down speeds to something that is worse than dialup after FUP limits.

is it not Aircel already has unlimited 3G plans? thought speed reduced to 128Kbps after FUP, still its 3G network.. This is some what similar to wired BB plans and after FUP, its reduced to 256K!

How do you call it unlimited if the speed is reduced to 128kbps? If they can give atleast 356kbps it will be great.

Here is the BSNL plan.
http://www.bsnl.co.in:9080/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/broadband/BB_combo_unlim.html

They don't give such an offer as mgcarley said.
It is all exclusive of taxes.