Radiation from Mobile Towers

• Thread starter Thread starter oldtimer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 135
  • Views Views 58,893
Well i never said i was certain of anything.All i said was there is no evidence yet to support the claim "cellphone radiations are harmful."Therefore there is no need for panic and from past experience it might as well be a false alarm.I wasn't sure about what w/kg meant, so i said i suppose.It seems it stands for absorption and not emission, i still fail to understand its relevance.I don't use CRT because LCD/LED are more efficient not because CRT maybe harmful.You do realise that Halogen heating also releases infra-red radiation, which can heat up human bodies too in a way similar to microwave. So your point here being?I am smarter than that, I don't use a personal motor vehicle.Sorry, i don't see how what Oscar Wilde or Winston Churchill did during their lived is relevant.I don't trust movies over simple logic. Private firms do indulge in practices that are unethical and corrupt, but when you have a viable alternative to mobile phones/WiFi/Radio/TV let me know.What we have is the best we can have at the moment. If someone had any new technology, I don't see why they wouldn't cash in on it.All through your post, you rant about all the things that may be harmful, like petrol, teflon, MSG etc. Some of these maybe due to selfish motives, other due to ignorance and some due to because they are necessary, and some aren't even proven to be harmful. This thread is for the discussion of cellphone radiations in particular. You can make a new thread about Tupperware if you want.Back on Topic.Now, there is still no evidence here that cellphones radiations are harmful. There are claims and cases, but none have been verified scientifically in a way that it can be asserted that " Cellphone radiations are harmful".Homoeopaths claim and show cases of their medicines working. Same for astrologer and other pesudo-scientists.Raising an alarm is fine, if there's a chance something is harmful, it must be investigated.But wait before its proven to be assertive about it. When people become cocky its a problem. Its also a problem when people cause mass hysteria and paranoid among people even when its not necessary.And because of the hysteria, people become gullible and are drawn to stupid pseudo sciences and pseudo medicines. People that are ignorant are easily fooled into buying covers for cellphones that block radiation and shit like that.Anyways, you claim to be better at physics than me, so answer me this.Cancer that is caused by radiation is caused by high frequency radiation like X-rays, Gamma rays etc.Cellphone Radiation is under radio waves, quite low on the frequency spectrum Radio-Microwave frequencies.How does the low frequency radiation inhibit cancer?

Interesting to see how many of us are just waiting for a report to admit that cell phone radiations are harmful. But my dear friends, there are plenty of reports, scientific reports available - but no1 acknowledges them. If the radiations was not harmful, why did EU countries like Sweden reduced the power norms? Prof. Girish Kumar of India has been tried ridiculed verbally several times, but none of the telecom co. CEOs have taken up his challenge to face to tower for 10 days! His study is based on EMF and is purely scientific.And BTW, try none of the cell phone co. executives have towers or will let you install a tower at-least in the 100m radius of their house. Everybody has a different immune system, some1 got the cancer early, someone will get it later. Cancer is not the only problem, there are plenty of problems related to radiations... and yes, check the warning board outside very tower - it confirms there are Harmful Radiations!

Sh Milind Deora, Hon’ble Minister of State, Communication & IT, inaugurated the complaint handling system for Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) Radiation from Mobile Towers operational in Mumbai Telecom Circle for the citizens of Mumbai on 4th Oct 2012 in a function held at Mumbai.

The function was attended by distinguished members of civil society in addition to the Senior Officers of Deptt of Telecom.
Hon’ble Minister launched the HELPLINE by dialing 99695 55000. The helpline facility for complaint booking will be available from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM on working days. The online facility will also be available on DOT website Department of Telecomm through a link “Public Grievance – EMF
Radiation”.

The EMF exposure limit (Base Station Emissions) has been lowered to 1/10th of the exposure limit standards prevalent in 90% of the countries with effect from 1st Sept. 2012. India now has one of the most stringent EMF exposure norms in the world as SAR value standards for Mobile handsets also have been revised.
Telecom Enforcement Resource & Monitoring (TERM) Cells of DOT have been conducting audit on the self certification furnished by the Service Providers. TERM Cell carries out Test Audit covering up to 10% of the BTS sites on random basis. For non-compliance of EMF radiation standards, a penalty of Rs. 5 lakh is liable to be levied per BTS for each Service Provider.

The Government shall continue to ensure that the best possible Telecom Services are provided by Telecom service providers across the Country without compromising on Public safety and human health. Hon’ble Minister informed that the work of testing of the site for EMF radiation has been assigned to M/s TCIL at present. The complainant can get the site tested by paying Rs 4000 to M/s TCIL. It was also informed that in case the site is found to be non compliant with respect to the
desired norms on testing then no fee would be charged from the complainant. The test results will be made available on the website of DOT and will also be sent to the complainant through email and SMS.

Hon’ble Minister flagged off the first team of M/s TCIL for testing, at the end of the function.
M/s TCIL will deploy 5 teams for this purpose which is expected to handle 15 complaints per day.

http://www.dot.gov.in/Electrical/Journey%20to%20EMF%20Radiation/press%20release%20031012.pdf
Now, sound off cell towers - Mumbai - DNA

I wish we had something similar for Bangalore, i need to get EMF check done in my place - Any reliable references ?

So does this confirm that radiation can cause health issues?Or we still have people who think nothing is true untill officially declared by government?

The Government today informed that as per the self certifications submitted by telecom service providers, and sample checks conducted by the DoT, the existing level of electromagnetic radiation from mobile towers in the country is within the prescribed limits.

Further, based on the recommendations of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on radiation, norms for exposure limit for the Radio Frequency Field (Base Station Emissions) has been reduced to 1/10th of the existing limits prescribed by ICNIRP. Effective date of these directions, which was initially 1st April 2012, has been extended to 01.09.2012.

The World Health Organization (WHO) in its 2006 Fact Sheet on Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) and Public Health had stated that “International exposure guidelines have been developed to provide protection against established effects from RF fields by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP, 1998) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE, 2005). It further said, national authorities should adopt international standards to protect their citizens against adverse levels of RF fields. They should restrict access to areas where exposure limits may be exceeded’. Based on the WHO recommendation, different countries have adopted their own EMF norms”.

Department of Telecommunications has adopted the International EMF norms in the year 2008 in respect of mobile towers prescribed by International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) and licenses were accordingly amended. Most of the countries have adopted ICNIRP norms; however, some of the countries have adopted stricter norms.

Accordingly, all the Cellular Mobile Telephone Service (CMTS)/ Unified Access Service (UAS) licensees have been directed for compliance of the reference limits/ levels prescribed by ICNIRP by way of self certification of their Base Transmitting Station (BTS) for meeting the EMF radiations norms. At present, for 900 MHz, permissible Power Density is 4.5 Watt per Square meter, whereas for 1800 MHz permissible Power Density is 9 Watt per Square meter.

As per the existing policy for installation of towers, Wireless Planning & Coordination (WPC) wing of DoT issues siting clearance for installation of mobile towers for each and every site from the point of view of interference with other wireless users, aviation hazards and obstruction to any other existing microwave links.However, siting clearances of DoT are issued without prejudice to other applicable bylaws, rule and regulations of local bodies such as municipal corporation, Gram Panchayat etc. Accordingly, before installation of tower, the telecom service providers have to obtain necessary clearances from concerned local authorities/ State Government bodies also. Various local bodies/State Government have formulated their own policy regarding grant of such permissions for installation of mobile towers.

Further, based on the recommendations of the Inter-Ministerial Committee, DoT has constituted an internal committee to formulate uniform guidelines at national level to enforce restrictions on establishment / setting up of BTS towers.

This information was provided by Sh Milind Deora, Minister of State for Communications & Information Technology in Rajya Sabha today.

Press Information Bureau English Releases

so what do you suggest we do? shut down all mobile towers and start using landline phones? what about other wireless communications?

what exactly is the point of highlighting a problem when you do not have a solution? mobile towers are a necessary evil. you need them inside cities near where people live. fine, we should not have them over your house or building. but it's not like you can just put them outside the city? i am sure no one wants to live under a mobile tower or believes that they are harmless.

read my blog.
follow me on twitter.
follow me on facebook.
here are some random links. read them.
i am not going to answer anything.
but just read read read and follow follow follow.
this is not how you do it. if you want to 'spread the word', have a constructive discussion.

I know many of us have nagging questions about Cell Tower Radiation and want them answered by an expert.
I've heard that COAI is hosting a Tweetinar on the topic tomorrow (March 22) at 4 pm.

Mr. Ramakrishna P - CEO mPraxis Technologies Pvt Ltd.- B.E. Electronics and Telecommunications is going to be answering all our EMF and radiation related doubts for 45 mins.

All we have to do is to follow @ConnectCOAI on twitter (http://bit.ly/UMCPqu) and log on to Twitter at 4 pm on March 22nd. Oh yes, Don't forget to use #RadiationQnA with all your queries!