Mozilla Firefox OS Updates

First generation devices are always going to suck. That is how things happen. You cannot have a perfect device or operating system from day one.
Android sucked till Gingerbread edition. It was only after that we started seeing good stuff happening. Mozilla Firefox OS would get their shit right faster.
Android has democratized smartphone development. Faster processors and other components are now available at pretty good prices. Hardware is ready for anything you can throw at it. Software developers have a lot of flexibility with their approach.
Also, what you saw was a first public preview. The first smartphone would probably go on sale by the end of the year. Mozilla is releasing nightlies on a daily basis I hear. It should be pretty solid when the first device is ready for 'launch'.
As always. Do not form opinion based on a test release.

dunno. from what i am hearing it seems to be using fairly high end hardware. at least the processors. how can they compete against asha on price then?
Canonical is also saying similar things about Ubuntu OS. That it would run on basic phones providing a solid user interface experience on budget devices. I mean how would it even run on budget devices? It's not that they can magically improve the performance so much? The first preview crawled on dual core processors based GN and also N4.

Alcatel version of firefox OS is a low end device.
Google is a major revenue generator for firefox, i doubt google will allow the competition to grow in the mobile high end space

Mozilla makes bulk of their monie from Google. That's true. And that is why they need to expand into more areas. I doubt Google can do anything. I mean most of the supporters of Firefox OS are already making Android devices. Sony for example is a major partner. Samsung is focused on Android and Tizen. The point of course remains, where else would Mozilla make their money from? They cannot expect manufacturers to pay them for development or bug fixes!

GeeksPhone has officially confirmed the price tags of both smartphones and those are among the lowest on the market. GeekPhone Keon will cost you €91 (about $120) and the Peak is priced at €149 (about $195). Neither price includes taxes so, depending on your country, the final price will probably be higher.
https://goo.gl/e4x0d

Good stuff. Would be great if these devices would eventually arrive in India in the price range of 5-10K.

you are missing the point. its the bootloader. which is the main culprit. if you have it replaced? you can boot any OS of your choice. linux/M$/QNX/BSD's the thing is bootloader.
you need to replace bootloader and byte exec the boot code. hmmmm loosing excitement. since people are excited about new OS but not bootloader.
HOW WILL OS BOOT IF BOOTLOADER IS LOCKED?
answer this question of mine.
you need to replace the old bootloader, and then the real fun begins and its really fun to mess with the bootloader. but you need to have loads of tools and utils to play with it. ;-)
-paul

Something like that.

We are proud of the benefits Firefox OS added to the Web platform and will continue to experiment with the user experience across connected devices. We will build everything we do as a genuine open source project, focused on user experience first and build tools to enable the ecosystem to grow.
Firefox OS proved the flexibility of the Web, scaling from low-end smartphones all the way up to HD TVs. However, we weren’t able to offer the best user experience possible and so we will stop offering Firefox OS smartphones through carrier channels.We’ll share more on our work and new experiments across connected devices soon.”

Mozilla Will Stop Developing And Selling Firefox OS Smartphones