How to connect two long ethernet cables?

arjunrampalar

My beam cable length is coming up to around 120meters but they are only going to provide 70meters. This reaches till inside my front door. I need to extend that to my room. So, I need to connect 70 + 50 meters. What is the best way to connect it without any loss of speed?

You *could* use a simple gender changer (or if you want to do a real botch job, cut the ends and twist the cables together) but then you run in to the problem of the maximum cable lengths for Cat5/6 cable being 100m (well, technically 90). As such, you will need a switch which will amplify the signal. Should cost around Rs500 or so.Either that, or Beam needs to find a shorter route to the room with the PC, but this depends entirely on your house layout & where the switch is and whether you're living in an apartment or separate bungalow.

@Mgcarley OP needs cat5 cable coming from beam to be used with two computers in two different rooms. Can you suggest a setup and which router should he use?

OP didn't mention this in his post? But in any case, pretty much any router on the market should be able to handle

Thanks for your reply. Is a switch the same as a wired router? Can you please send me a link of some good wired router as only the new PC has a wireless internet card whereas the old PC can only use wired internet? These switches need power supply, right? Are there switches which come with a backup power supply? My computer is in my room which has a battery but if I'm using a switch, I'll have to fix it in my drawing room where there is not battery, so any solution to that? Also, by using a switch will my internet speed reduce? If so, by how much?Also, I'm going to use this internet on 2 PCs at the same time (like bobbyguitarist mentioned above). I'll be using internet on the the new PC very frequently and the old PC infrequently but both will be on simultaneously. Will just leaving the internet connected / uploading something on the old PC affect the download speed on the new PC? TIA.

Thanks for your reply. Is a switch the same as a wired router?

Switches and routers are functionally different. A router will allow you to use 2 or more PCs at the same time, a switch will not.

Can you please send me a link of some good wired router as only the new PC has a wireless internet card whereas the old PC can only use wired internet?

The model I recommended is available on Flipkart Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router (White) | Router | Flipkart.com

These switches need power supply, right?

Yes, BUT you can get ones that draw the power supply from the Ethernet cable but in this kind of situation where you have such long cables it would not be a good idea and would likely defeat the purpose. Also, they're not cheap.

Are there switches which come with a backup power supply?

Commercial ones do, but they're not cheap.

My computer is in my room which has a battery but if I'm using a switch, I'll have to fix it in my drawing room where there is not battery, so any solution to that?

Get a UPS. Again, not cheap. If you're worried that the Internet will be down during powercuts, it probably will be anyway because Beam's own equipment will be drawing power from somewhere and in many cases is not backed up by battery. Unless there is another electricity source, it too will go off in the even of a powercut.

Also, by using a switch will my internet speed reduce? If so, by how much?

It will at least maintain the speed you are supposed to get, but most importantly it will allow you (technically) a cable length between Beam's equipment and your computer of up to about 180m by repeating the signal.

Also, I'm going to use this internet on 2 PCs at the same time (like bobbyguitarist mentioned above). I'll be using internet on the the new PC very frequently and the old PC infrequently but both will be on simultaneously. Will just leaving the internet connected / uploading something on the old PC affect the download speed on the new PC? TIA.

To use 2 PCs simultaneously you will need a router, no question.

@Mgcarley, thanks a lot for your reply. I think the link you sent me is for a wireless router. I'm in need of a wired router as one PC has no wireless card.In my situation, do I need both a switch and a wired router or only a wired router? Please suggest a good switch and wired router please.You mentioned above that a switch will maintain the speed that I'm supposed to receive. Will using a wired router also maintain the same speed or will it reduce. TIA.EDIT-1: Is the allowed cable length for CAT5e and CAT6 more than 90meters? The first 70meters of cable will be provided by my ISP which is probably CAT5. I need to buy the remaining 50meters. Should I buy the same CAT5 or should I get CAT5e or CAT6?EDIT-2: What about a PoE splitter or injector?

Thanks vrij, but I heard that these work only for short cables but what I need is really long (about 120meters). For that I heard that we need something with a power supply. Like Mgcarley mentioned above, a switch.

Thanks vrij, but I heard that these work only for short cables but what I need is really long (about 120meters). For that I heard that we need something with a power supply. Like Mgcarley mentioned above, a switch.

No harm in trying. At the most you lose 10 to 20 bucks.