VOD not working through WiFi Netgear Dongle

• Thread starter Thread starter stansween
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 10,691

stansween

ISP
ACT Broadband
I've configured my WiFi Netgear Dongle (Netgear WNCE2001) to my WiFi Internet connection. Dongle successfully connects to the WiFi router and I'm able to browse the internet using that. Router is configured with DHCP enabled in PPPoE mode. When I connect to the Tata Sky HD+ STB, the IP connection is showing successful and interestingly it's listing all the available titles under VOD. But if I give any programme for download, it never downloads. It always stuck at 0%. I've tried connecting STB directly to the router using ethernet cable. There is absolutely no issue with downloading and everything works fine. So it cannot be direct issue with the ISP provider. May not be any issue with STB also, since it's downloading when connected directly. As I mentioned before, I tried connecting to internet using the dongle, there is no issue with that browsing. So I'm not suspecting any issue with Dongle able to work with ISP provider. Can anyone help me point out where else can it go wrong? Am I missing something here??ISP: ACT broadbandRouter: Linksys WRT120NWiFi Ethernet Bridge: Netgear WNCE20001STB: Tatasky HD+

Did you try one or many VODs? Did you buy it from Tata Sky ? Did you try restarting the STB ? What Broadband plan are you on ? What was the price?

I've tried downloading few VODs, but none of them actually gets downloaded. Yes I bought this from Tata Sky. In fact, they replaced dongle 2 times stating that it's may be something wrong with dongle. But all the 3 times the internet is working through the dongle connected to PC, but download doesn't work in STB. I'm using ACT broadband(ACT BB premium - 10Mbps till 50GB :: ACT Television ::). The price of dongle is 1200/- and the plan I'm using is 999 + Tax.

Yes I tried downloading few VODs, none of them are downloading. I bought the WiFi bridge from Tata Sky and infact they've replaced the dongle 2 times thinking that it's the issue with dongle. But every single time, there was no issue connecting to internet using the dongle. I'm using ACT Broadband BB Premium plan (10 Mbps upto 50GB) and there is consistent speed of around 12Mbps. Price of dongle is 1200/- and broadband plan is 999 + Tax.

Sounds like a connectivity issue to me. Does Tata Sky STB show the signal strength? Also maybe u can try it on your TV aswell? If nothing solves the problem you can simply give it back. They have written on their website to give full support. If it doesnt work they'll have to take it back.

STB does have the signal strength and all other channels are functioning properly. My TV doesn't have open ethernet port. But I've tried connecting WiFi bridge to my laptop from the same position where the STB is kept, to make sure there is proper connectivity at that location.

Sounds like a connectivity issue to me. Does Tata Sky STB show the signal strength? Also maybe u can try it on your TV aswell?
If nothing solves the problem you can simply give it back. They have written on their website to give full support. If it doesnt work they'll have to take it back.

Yeah it seems like that but there could be some software glitch right in to the STB ROM which might be preventing the connection. Sometimes the system behaves in a way where it shows the status as "connected" but due to the differences in frequency of applied internet network, it fails to make a connection with server. So through the same OS of HD DVR, VOD feature works fine at one place but it might behave differently due to change network characteristics at another place.

And there is another possibility. I have seen these Tata sky Field engineers. I have often observed that they don't know shit outside of their given training. Don't mind but I don't think that they are even enough qualified to be be called as an actual engineer. So there is a factor of "human error in configuration" involved.

Yeah it seems like that but there could be some software glitch right in to the STB ROM which might be preventing the connection. Sometimes the system behaves in a way where it shows the status as "connected" but due to the differences in frequency of applied internet network, it fails to make a connection with server. So through the same OS of HD DVR, VOD feature works fine at one place but it might behave differently due to change network characteristics at another place.

I think I should look at the possibility of changing the STB and see if it works.

And there is another possibility. I have seen these Tata Sky Field engineers. I have often observed that they don't know shit outside of their given training. Don't mind but I don't think that they are even enough qualified to be be called as an actual engineer. So there is a factor of "human error in configuration" involved.

I completely agree with your statement. The tata sky engineers doesn't even know the basics and they just follow steps what is written in the training notebooks. When they have met with simple issues, they are not able to solve it. They have to call the tech support to proceed. So infact, all the configuration of WiFi bridge is done by myself and they were taking training from me 🙂

Then it's fine. BTW it's always a hilarious situation when these company guys don't know what they are talking about. Sometimes they tend to blabber in a very annoying way where they don't accept their lack of skills. They should quit ****ing around. 😀

I've requested for the change of STBs and tried changing 2 STBs. On all 3 STB's, WiFi Ethernet bridge is showing as connected, but the VODs are not getting downloaded. Is there any specific setting(s) missing/not configured in the router for WiFi Ethernet bridge to work with Tata Sky VODs?

I've requested for the change of STBs and tried changing 2 STBs. On all 3 STB's, WiFi Ethernet bridge is showing as connected, but the VODs are not getting downloaded.
Is there any specific setting(s) missing/not configured in the router for WiFi Ethernet bridge to work with Tata Sky VODs?

At this point, I think you should talk briefly with Tata sky customer care supervisor. Not a regular help guy. Explain him your situation. As you have bought from the company, they are entitled to provide the support. Ask them to send an actual service engineer from the company to your place. I think he only will be able to figure out your problem. BTW are you a member of Tata Sky Premium Club?

Anyways from what I see is that after having gone through all previous possible solutions now there might be a thing with your ISP connection. I haven't mentioned previously but there might be some compatibility issues because of types of connection. They are too many. PPPoE, Bridged/DHCP or PPPoA etc etc. Most probably at your place, it should be PPPoE connection. That's Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet.

And there is always a bit of problem or confusion when you have to manage & set different different MAC addresses. For me it's always been a pain in the ass because I have three routers for different purposes. And these MAC identifiers which are assigned to network interfaces always comes in a way. You always have to change/assign them when you change the router. Anyways that's a different thing & certainly not applicable to your situation.

So coming to the point, you might have to ask Tata Sky service engineer regarding the Ethernet connection requirement for damn dongle. Or there might be whole different & unknown problem.

Tata Sky called to find out who my ISP was before scheduling the wifi dongle installation - when I told them it was Airtel, they said that it will not work with Airtel and requested to cancel my order.
Does anybody have their tatasky wifi dongle working with Airtel?

Wht has it to do with internet connection?
I have airtel broadband and have TS dongle working for me without any problem ..

stansween, did you ever find a solution to your issue? The exact same thing happened to me today when the Tata Sky installer came to install the VOD wifi dongle. I have 10 different devices connected to my home wireless network and none of them have given me a problem. The settings show that the box is connected, IP address is assigned and everything, but downloads either stay at 0% or an error message appears saying that the network speed is too slow for downloading. However, I ran a speed test and the internet connection is fine - i was able to view youtube videos on my ipad without a problem. i also tried turning off all the different devices keeping only tata sky on but even then no content was downloaded.
When I looked in to the IP Diagnostics setting on the set top box, all the tests passed except the Speed Test. My router showed that the set-top box was assigned an IP. However, when i looked up the Tata Sky app which I had downloaded on to my ipad, it could not find my set top box on the same home network. What's going on? Are there some technically detailed multicast or packet settings that have to be modified on the router? Is there some "activation" of the dongle that has to happen on Tata Sky's end?
Another thing that happened was that the wifi dongle could detect the network SSID and when I entered the passkey, it connected to the network. However the more advanced WPS - Pin entry and WPS - Push Button entry methods of connecting the dongle to the network failed. I know that the WPS system on my router works just fine - I connected a wireless printer that way just yesterday.
The installer took the dongle back and has said he will come back tomorrow with a new one to install. I'm hoping that will fix the issue, but reading this thread here, I'm a little unconvinced that will solve it. I have a BSNL DSL connection and am using a D-Link ADSL+ Modem/Router. Any more experiences out there similar to mine? What worked? What didn't?