Google Nexus Q

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 1,629
Not really sure what google was thinking here.

well it is being manufactured in the US market so that sort of increases the production costs. there are a lot of problems with this device. it does not operate on its own. does not have its own storage. does not seem to support windows or mac os x or linux. needs android devices and data is streamed from the cloud and not from local devices. the market for such devices is already owned by Apple. i do not think it is going to sell well.

price tag makes it stupid. google already has google tv that is supposed to do other stuff that i generally expect it to do. this is more like a companion device to android smartphones and tablets. simply do not see the point of having this device considering the reliance on cloud. i mean even in america most people are on connects with restricted data transfer capabilities. Apple and google keeps on releasing products that are so heavily dependent upon the cloud that it makes them horribly useless in most countries around the world.

HTC Media Link HD is a similar device offered as an accessory with One X (and probably other models too). It seems to be priced at around USD 100. Google Nexus Q is something similar but is designed to work with almost all Android devices around.

google should have done with q what they did with nexus 7. but the problem with q is that it has been developed by the new google industrial design team which is focusing on highly experimental design based hardware. they recently hired Mike & Maaike design studio which had developed the first android smartphone for HTC. this group was also responsible for the design of the original xbox. they should not have launched it alongside nexus 7.

Wired has a good piece on Nexus Q.

Just like Microsoft recently demonstrated with its Surface tablet, Google understands that no-excuses hardware execution is paramount in this age of Retina display iPads and otherworldly MacBook Pros. Google decided to source almost all of its parts from U.S. suppliers, and is even bucking convention by manufacturing Nexus Q in America. This allows the company’s engineers to visit any link in their manufacturing chain at a moment’s notice.

“Being able to have every engineer go to the factory if needed is incredibly valuable,” says Matt Hershenson, director of hardware. “And they don’t have to get on a plane to do that.”

The Nexus Q factory is located in America -- close enough to Google for Britt (left) and Hershenson to drop in for a site visit when they need to. The facility is a single, vast, open room filled with both robotic equipment and real human beings assembling Nexus Q spheres, part by part.

because it is more of a demonstration of android@home platform. it is not going to be a mass selling device because of the costs alone. consider it a beta test for a wider variety of devices in the future. it also showcases the capabilities google has acquired to design, develop and manufacture hardware without collaborating with a third party manufacturer. motorola has no hands in it. it is a pure google hardware. probably the first one ever.

cost will be a major factor? it is already a major factor. it is being sold at USD 300. and the stock software offers very little functionality right now.

not really. this hardware is being manufactured in usa. which means that the costs are higher. and it actually has internal hardware that is comparable to Galaxy nexus. so the component cost is also pretty high. the only problem is the software features that are very restrictive right now. this can be fixed with updates in the future. right now, you have to root the device to make it more usable.

google nexus q is not a beta product. it is not available in limited numbers. it is on sale directly through google play store.

Apple products have a very high profit margin. apple tv is probably an exception here. and of course, apple does not manufacture in the us market. almost everything is manufactured in china which is much cheaper than getting the same thing done within usa.

here is the basic hardware specification of google nexus q:

16 GB internal flash memory
1 GB RAM
32 RGB perimeter and 1 RGB mute indicator LED
OMAP4460 (dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX540 graphics core)

Is Apple tv available in apple stores ?? I doubt..

yes u are right... Apple tv is is not available in apple stores but it is available in the Google store 😛 ...

PS I no u were probably referring to weather apple tv is available in the iStores run by reliance digital here in India... I saw a few apple TVs on a shelf in reliance Digital Vashi a couple of months back... But I would like to say all these streaming devices are kind of useless here in India... 1st coz of the pathetic broadband connections we have, & 2nd coz of the limited content available...