• Thread starter Thread starter almon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 876

almon

Regular
ISP
Airtel
My bro is going to dubai next weekend and I want to buy some good electronics(preferably 40+ LCD/LED Tv ) from there.Any suggestions ? Are TV really cheap there ?

I think TVs are cheap over der.My sis gifted a 32" Sony BRAVIA LED TV which she said was around 17k

can I check price online , so that I can decide which model I can choose. Any good websites ?

Coming through Mumbai Airport? If yes, please read this - https://broadband.forum/consumer-electronics/73902-buying-from-dubai/#post566757

Rs 25K limit is applicable for person coming in India from any country at Airport. Its per person. No idea if the thing is opened (not packed/sealed) and used, then it comes under 25K limit.

BTW I had worse experience at Mumbai Airport while returning from Dubai in 2005 (I was not aware of rules, was young and travelling for first time).

I had brought Sony Music system fully packed in big box which costed around Rs 10K. 1 coolie approached me saying do you want to take it out. I thought 'out' means just helping me out, so I said yes. But he staringht took me to lady custom officer. She asked me how much was price. I said 10K. So she said I have to pay 30% custom duty of Rs 3000. I said I only have Rs 1500, so she said she would take away that box and seal it. I was afraid and asked her solution (my big mistake). She said pay Rs 1000 (BRIBE!). I agreed. Then she sent me with Hawaldar who took Rs 1000. But after seeing some extra cash in my wallet, asked extra Rs 50 saying I wont get anything from those Rs 1000 as it goes to higher officers. I gave him Rs 50. And WORST part is, almost at exit gate that same coolie again caught me asking for money. I said I didnt had any money. He said he can take foreign currency as well. So I gave some Dubai's coins (=Rs 24). So I was looted by Airport employees for around Rs 1100 for no reasons, as I had no other stuff with me 🙁

I told this incident to my friends in Dubai, so they did setting in advance with their friends working at Airport to get thing 'out' easily 😀

After 2 years, while I was returning from London (now I had lots of travelling experience at Airport), I had 1 watch in my bag, which custom officer saw while scanning. He asked me about watch cost. I (in angry look and tone) said its 10 Pounds. He said means how mauch. I said no idea, go to exchange and ask them (in angry tone). He then asked just 1 watch. I said then what you expect, I should get dozen! and left from there.

So be careful at Airport from staff working there.

(Sorry for long post, but couldn't resist to mention those incidents)