Huawei u5510 - is this the only feature phone with 3G wifi hotspot?

• Thread starter Thread starter IMNS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 36,909

IMNS

Regular
I'm looking for a feature phone which I can also use as 3G wifi hotspot. So far all I've found is the huawei u5510. Now on paper this phone sounds perfect for my needs. It's cheap, it's not a smartphone (hate cheap smartphones, and good ones aren't cheap), has dual sim (use voda sim for calls, Mtnl sim for data), it's not touch screen (cheap phones with touchscreens suck, and I don't text much so a simple keypad works much better for me) and most importantly, it can be used as a 3G wifi hotspot.

The only problem is that there aren't really any reviews for it. A few user impressions but they are mostly mixed. I'm still tempted to pick this one up though. Just wanted to know if there is any other phone which fits my needs other than u5510. Or if anyone here has tried this phone. Is it worth it? Any issues I should know about? Thanks for reading.

Most Android phones have this feature... this one doesn't seem to be Android based, though, so... yeah.

If it were me I'd spend the extra few grand and get the Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos, as it has Dual SIM as well Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos B5512: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com otherwise if dual-SIM isn't a requirement, any Android phone should do the WiFi Hotspot thing without any issues.

Like I said, I don't want a smartphone. They either have touchscreens and/or have a full qwerty keyboard which makes them too huge for my taste. Then the battery sucks coz of the bigger screen. And it costs almost twice as much. And most importantly, they just suck. They are underpowered, laggy, have shitty touch screens and simply a PITA. They can do a lot on paper but when put to actual task, you'd be better off not doing anything more than making calls and text. Browsing on such phones is a joke. Since i dont really text much, making calls will be the only use it can offer me (other than acting as a hotspot of course) and I don't know about you but I still prefer number only keypads (much better single handed operation) for making calls compared to a qwerty keyboard which has a tacked on numeric keypad. How do I know? I actually fell for the cheap smartphone trap already. Had a Samsung gt B7510. It looks exactly the same as the one you linked but didn't have dual sims. Had it for about 4 months before it frustrated the hell out of me and once my Mtnl unlimited 3G plan expired, I simply turned it off and forgot about it. It got destroyed a couple of months ago (small fire in the office) and I have no intention to burn my money again.All I want is a dual sim phone with a numeric keypad and 3G wifi hotspot so I can use it with my iPad. Smartphones are too overrated IMHO.

Like I said, I don't want a smartphone. They either have touchscreens and/or have a full qwerty keyboard which makes them too huge for my taste. Then the battery sucks coz of the bigger screen. And it costs almost twice as much. And most importantly, they just suck. They are underpowered, laggy, have shitty touch screens and simply a PITA. They can do a lot on paper but when put to actual task, you'd be better off not doing anything more than making calls and text. Browsing on such phones is a joke. Since i dont really text much, making calls will be the only use it can offer me (other than acting as a hotspot of course) and I don't know about you but I still prefer number only keypads (much better single handed operation) for making calls compared to a qwerty keyboard which has a tacked on numeric keypad.

How do I know? I actually fell for the cheap smartphone trap already. Had a Samsung gt B7510. It looks exactly the same as the one you linked but didn't have dual sims. Had it for about 4 months before it frustrated the hell out of me and once my Mtnl unlimited 3G plan expired, I simply turned it off and forgot about it. It got destroyed a couple of months ago (small fire in the office) and I have no intention to burn my money again.

All I want is a dual sim phone with a numeric keypad and 3G wifi hotspot so I can use it with my iPad. Smartphones are too overrated IMHO.

None of your original post suggested anything about these qualms, I was merely giving recommendations based on the functionality you were asking for and for phones that had genuine reviews.

This phone is *trying* to be a smartphone, but perhaps it might be of some wonder as to why the model of phone is priced the way it is, and given that you want WiFi, your not wanting a smartphone seems rather contradictory, and Dual-SIM 3G phones are pretty hard to come by - most resort to GPRS only.

Additionally: you're bitching about touchscreens when you use an iPad, you're bitching about QWERTY keyboards when most smartphones don't have one (the majority are touch-only these days), you're bitching about poor battery life on a phone that has a very small battery (3 whole hours of talk time!), you're bitching about painful browsing on a phone with a low-resolution screen and you're talking about underpowered on a phone that has a 650MHz processor which is pretty much as low as they go - but the majority of these things simply shouldn't matter if you're using the iPad to access the web... your alternative being that perhaps you should have got the 3G version of the iPad and saved yourself the trouble.

That said, however, I'm like you: my ideal phone is a combination of specifications that basically don't exist, the only other phone that comes even remotely close to fitting your other criteria is Micromax Superfone Ninja A50: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com... except that it is a smartphone with a touchscreen, so... to answer your original question, the Huawei is probably the only phone on the Indian market that fits your current requirements 🙂

None of your original post suggested anything about these qualms, I was merely giving recommendations based on the functionality you were asking for and for phones that had genuine reviews.

Em, no offence but I think you either didn't read or understand either of my posts. Maybe my fault for using too many brackets instead of pointing out everything separately or something else. Here's a quote from my first post...
Now on paper this phone sounds perfect for my needs. It's cheap, it's not a smartphone (hate cheap smartphones, and good ones aren't cheap), ......., it's not touch screen (cheap phones with touchscreens suck, and I don't text much so a simple keypad works much better for me)

I don't really see how my second post brought anything new which I didn't already say in the first post. All I did was explain them further and revealed that I already have used a cheap smartphone so I had a good idea what to expect from them /confused

This phone is *trying* to be a smartphone, but perhaps it might be of some wonder as to why the model of phone is priced the way it is, and given that you want WiFi, your not wanting a smartphone seems rather contradictory, and Dual-SIM 3G phones are pretty hard to come by - most resort to GPRS only.
This phone isn't trying to be a smartphone. Here's my take one it. A lot of people still prefer simple feature phones. And quite a few people buy these mifi devices (Huawei themselves manufacture such mifis). Most people who use a mifi probably don't use a smartphone. Coz if they did, they won't need a mifi and use their smartphones only. So there is a market for feature phones with mifi services. A tiny one most probably but no one will know how big/tiny it is before someone atleast launches a product for this market.

Additionally: you're bitching about touchscreens when you use an iPad,
I didn't say I hate touch screens. Capacitive touchscreen is the best thing that happened to smartphones and tablets. What I said was I hate shitty touchscreens (which you find on cheap smartphones). Are you seriously telling me that the touchscreen experience on an iPhone/iPad is the same as you get from a sub 10k smartphone? The touchscreens on cheap phones suck coz they use lower quality stuff and they have slow processors and lower ram which result in a laggy touchscreen making things even worse. Shitty is exactly how I'd define the experience they provide.

you're bitching about QWERTY keyboards when most smartphones don't have one (the majority are touch-only these days)
I never implied any such thing. I said smartphones either have touchscreens and/or have a full qwerty keyboard. I don't know what I'm missing here but that sounds like exactly what you're saying. So where's the disagreement?

you're bitching about poor battery life on a phone that has a very small battery (3 whole hours of talk time!)
Which is one of the reasons I'm looking for more alternatives which might be better than the only one I was able to find. Feature phones have better talk time for a smaller battery as compared to smartphones. Hence my preference for a feature phone today. I wasn't getting 3 hours talk time on that android phone so even if huawei doesn't give me any better, it doesn't give me any less either.

, you're bitching about painful browsing on a phone with a low-resolution screen and you're talking about underpowered on a phone that has a 650MHz processor which is pretty much as low as they go
If you read it completely, you'd realise that all I did was knock down the smartphone's supposed advantage over a feature phone instead of saying a feature phone could do it better. Why does one want a smartphone? if the device is too bad to use the "smartphone" features , then why bother wasting your money on something which costs twice as much and adds to the bulk? If I'm not going to be able to browse the net, shouldnt I rather go for the smaller, cheaper device?
The processor in huawei isn't underpowered. If anything it's over powered for what it has to do. Making calls and 3G hotspot. I don't need a full blown mobile OS to be running in the background for these purposes.

Like I said before, I am not just saying this, I know this. Coz I already tried the cheap smartphone road and it was no good for anything else other than calls and hotspot. Before using that phone I too thought it was a good idea since I'll be able to do so much more on it compared to a feature phone. But it turned out too shitty to be usable for anything except calls, text and hotspot. I either want a satisfying experience or I don't want it at all. Half baked solutions simply doesn't do it for me. When my MacBook died last year, I couldn't shell out for another mac even though I didn't have any other computer. It was too costly for what I need it for (browsing, email, twitter etc). I could've gotten a cheap windows laptop but after using a mac for almost 6 years, I simply could not stand win7 or cheap laptops with shitty trackpads anymore. An iPad costs the same as cheap laptops but provides a much better user experience. It can't do everything which a laptop can do but for me it's more important to do it right than do it all. So I waited four months for the new iPad instead of getting a crappy cheap laptop which would've frustrated me every time I used it. I'd rather not have a computer than a shitty one.

- but the majority of these things simply shouldn't matter if you're using the iPad to access the web... your alternative being that perhaps you should have got the 3G version of the iPad and saved yourself the trouble.
Not the best solution. A 3G iPad costs about 6000 more than the wifi one. So why not get a separate device for that money and be able to use it with not just your iPad but any other device (lugging around a 10 inch tablet just so I have 24x7 access to interwebz isn't the best solution IMO). iPad won't replace a cell phone ever. I always have my phone with me. Can't say the same for the iPad. iPad is my primary device but not the only one. In case my iPad is not handy, I'd use my wife's iPad with my phone.

That said, however, I'm like you: my ideal phone is a combination of specifications that basically don't exist, the only other phone that comes even remotely close to fitting your other criteria is Micromax Superfone Ninja A50: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com... except that it is a smartphone with a touchscreen, so... to answer your original question, the Huawei is probably the only phone on the Indian market that fits your current requirements 🙂
The only reason I'm against smart phones is that they are expensive and bulky in comparison and aren't good for anything more than what huawei u5510 could do too. And with a numpad instead a touchscreen and qwerty, it suits me even better. That said, I'm not allergic to smartphones. I had no idea that aisha Phone is this cheap. It's in the same ballpark as u5510. So yeah, it's a solid suggestion. Thanks for finding a choice for me. I'll look for reviews and impressions for this phone and see if it can somehow make me forget the added bulk and (most probably) shitty touchscreen. If I get this phone, it won't be coz its a smartphone. It'll be in spite of it being a smartphone instead. Thanks again for your suggestion 🙂

And quite a few people buy these mifi devices (Huawei themselves manufacture such mifis). Most people who use a mifi probably don't use a smartphone. Coz if they did, they won't need a mifi and use their smartphones only.

Now, that'd be incorrect, simply because a smartphone that offers tethering is not a replacement for a 3G router.

Now, that'd be incorrect, simply because a smartphone that offers tethering is not a replacement for a 3G router.
Why not? I used mine as a 3G router for over 4 months without any issues. Yes you'll need to keep it plugged in but that'd be the case with a 3G router too. One less thing to carry. One less thing to charge everyday. If anything, it was a better solution than mifi for me.

Hey I've got to take a second to plug our product: its about four years too late for your post but here's the feature phone of your dreams:

Minium.co