Anti-Smoking Campaign

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 1,498
I haven't seen the video, but I wonder why you're posting it 😛

Not too sure if this thing would impact me. I don't even smoke. I would probably have given the child a lighter if I had.

lol. what would i have done? probably laughed and moved on.i do not see the point of lecturing anyone else on smoking when i am myself smoking. it's my choice and it's your choice. as simple as that.

I dont want to offend here.....but i have this question - The lungs of smokers might be strong, but that doesnt mean everyone is gifted with the same sort of strong lungs. I suffer from asthma.....is pollution not enuf to keep me gasping, that i have to eat into that smoke that u have exhaled thru ur mouth, as i gasp for breath?

i can safely say that smokers do not cause measurable difference to the pollution levels in a city.

But my only concerns are these -1) When vehicles emit smoke, there are very few occasions when i that smoke is blown directly into my vicinity from where the air is pulled by the nose/mouth. But when someone is smoking, most of the times it gets blown into ur faces......and believe me, it gives u a feeling of getting suffocated for those few seconds, until u somehow manage to speed away from that spot......and speeding away, faster than the air is another challenge when u have Asthma.2) AFAIK, petrol/diesel dont contain nicotine, which is far more harmful.So its not the quantum of pollution - it basically is the manner of pollution, and the kind of pollutants. May be u guys have powerful lungs.....but people like me dont have that luxury!

lol. if a friend of yours is smoking in your face, he is a bad friend. if i am smoking with a friend, i would always keep my face away while blowing out. i usually blow the smoke up to drive the smoke as much away as possible from me or my friend. i do smoke in the house. but i stay in the basement and the exhaust is always on. as for your second point, it is hilarious. nicotine is not harmful. it is like caffeine. it boosts energy in your body. it's not nicotine in a ciggie that kills you, it is the tar generated from the burning tobacco. this tar gets collected in your lungs and that kills you. smoke from automobiles has carbon monoxide or similar harmful pollutants. i can safely say that a car's smoke is much much harmful than the smoke coming out from a cigarette.

What you are talking about is smoking manners which I agree most people don't have. I don't accompany such people when they go for a smoke. Most people who understand though would blow away from your face, or you can just stand in the direction that it isn't coming on to you directly. I haven't encountered anyone ever smoking on or around my face inside the office. In public places yes, but never within a building.

good thing that the government made smoking inside restaurants and other similar places illegal. now i have to hunt for pubs that have a smoking zone. otherwise it becomes very painful 😀 there are a couple of places in gurgaon where you can smoke. it's probably illegal. i guess appropriate bribes are given.

Well u guys have exactly mentioned what i am mentioning. When someone smokes, they take care that it doesnt get into the faces of their friends. Coz when u try to save ur friend, u unknowingly blow it in such a way that it still goes right into the face of someone behind you or wherever the wind is blowing. Even when someone is smoking alone, the smoke from the cigarette that has blown in the direction of the wind, comes directly in ur face. Dont tell me u carry a 5-6 feet tall chimney to blow out the smoke. Unless its blown that way, u are unknowingly creating harm to others.

As regards the effects of cigarette smoke v/s vehicular pollution.....

Harmful substances and cancer - Air pollution and radon : Cancer Research UK

Air pollution vs tobacco smoke
Living in a city or near a main road is not going to affect your risk of lung cancer much if you already smoke. A large amount of research has shown that tobacco smoke is much more dangerous than air pollution.

Tobacco smoke causes around 85% of lung cancer cases in the UK, making it by far the biggest cause of the disease. Compared to this, air pollution causes only a small proportion of cases. In European non-smokers and ex-smokers, between 5% and 7% of lung cancers may be caused by air pollution.

U cant deny a research finding i guess!

Powerful lungs ?

Yes mate powerful lungs. U understand the difference, when u see someone with Asthma. While talking, i take longer pauses. Climbing stairs/slopes - i try to avoid that as much as possible, even if it means climbing from 1st floor to second. Talking on ur phone while u walk? - well its a dream for me.....once u go thru all this, u realise the difference that makes me coin that term "Powerful lungs"