Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) News & Updates

hmmm... good one 🙂 Hope it will not be the case in flight bookings.... like serve unavailable, busy etc....

No please, Railway bookings is already in a mess!

Haha. They seem to be targeting around 10-20% market in flights. Doesn't seem possible if they keep their horrible user experience.

IRCTC website to be revamped to make online bookings easier
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/ZLcWRwgfe64L6o9DYborTK/IRCTC-website-to-be-revamped-to-make-online-bookings-easier.html

Not sure if they are gonna make aadhaar card mandatory....free wifi on trains 🙂
[color=#ff0000;]Aadhaar[/color][color=rgb(111,106,47);font-family:Unna, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:18px;] to be used to authenticate staff, passengers; ministry also working to provide [/color][color=#ff0000;]free Wi-Fi on trains[/color]

As mentioned in the article if they are able to handle 7200 tickets per minute rather than current capacity of 2000 is a good news.But doubt that will not help much. Last summer vacations when there were lot of issues with the server a newspaper article had mentioned that at the start of tatkal booking around 7 lac connnections were requested obiviously most of them failed coz server couldn't handle such traffic.While increasing the capacity to handle more tickets per minute is a welcome change server capability to handle more login connections also need to be increased.

I hope revamping means not a better design but faster speeds as booking tickets via irctc is some task ...

Heard that the backend is Mainframe, so there are no issues with their DB.
Only problem is handling more connections through more servers.
Since they charge about 20 rupees per booking they should get enough to provide better infrastructure

Or they could do what airline companies do? Spread the love and have third party portal sell tickets?

I guess that will lead to scams. The third parties will resell the tickets at higher prices...
They could release a service, third parties could wrap it for websites and apps. The condition should be that every user booking should have any form of identification id tagged so that it is not misused. May be Aadhar card, DL,Pan card et al

More players = More competition. Right now, it is a monopoly of IRCTC which is so not capable of handling the job on their own.
I mean who the F charges a fee for a service that saves them immense costs in infrastructure? Idiots cannot even serve edible food in their trains.
It's not a movie ticket that you can charge a convenience charge on it. The convenience here is only for IRCTC not the consumer.

I guess we are happy to pay and avoid those long queues at the reservation counters.
Hope someone comes with proper policy on this.
I think its only possible if BJP comes in power with 250+seats. Never possible if Congress is in power.

I will partially agree about more players = more competition, not fully. It is valid when there are many empty "seats" available, and the players fight out to give max. discount possible without making a loss to make sure "their" seats are sold. Here all seats will be sold for sure, if at all they might fight to give you the lowest black market price, which in any case would be inflated over the regular price

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/irctc-fined-rs-10-lakh-for-selling-soft-drinks-above-mrp/375422-3.html
[color=rgb(60,61,61);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has been slapped with a fine of Rs 10 lakh by a consumer forum here for selling soft drinks above the maximum retail price (MRP) to two customers. The New Delhi District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum imposed "punitive compensation" of Rs 5 lakh each in two separate cases against IRCTC, a subsidiary of Indian Railways, and said being a government corporation, "it is not expected to be deficient in such matters and cannot come down to level of private dealers".[/color]
[color=rgb(60,61,61);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]The two complainants had alleged that a retail outlet of IRCTC had sold each of them a bottle of Maaza having MRP of Rs 12 for Rs 15. IRCTC, which handles the catering, tourism and online ticketing operations of the railways, was proceeded against ex-parte as no one appeared on its behalf.[/color]