Vodafone 3G connects at 460 kbps when using phone

• Thread starter Thread starter normanp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,662

normanp

ISP
BSNL Dataone
When I connect to the Internet using my Nokia 5800 XM via USB and the latest Nokia Suite, the message I get at the connection icon at the bottom of the screen says "Connected at 460 Kbps" Shouldn't i be getting something like 3.1 Mbps or even higher? This is happening in Karnataka. Any settings that can be changed to make things faster. Thanks

If you are using WinXP then go to control panel >> Network connections >> Right click on Nokia 5800 XpressMusic modem >> go to Properties >> click on configure >> Select Maximum Speed (bps) 921600 (or any Max. Value) >> click OK. >> Redial your connection.

If you are using WinXP then go to control panel >> Network connections >> Right click on Nokia 5800 XpressMusic modem >> go to Properties >> click on configure >> Select Maximum Speed (bps) 921600 (or any Max. Value) >> click OK. >> Redial your connection.

Sorry I forgot to mention the OS in my previous post. I'm using Windows 7. Is it the same in this version of Windows?

Actually it makes no difference what you set it at. It's an arbitrary setting from way back when the speeds of COM ports mattered. It will actually work at whatever speed the phone can get and if you dare to use the bandwidth and run a speed test you should find it downloads at better than the half a megabit it thinks it's connected at. The 5800 maxes out at 3.6mbit/s so you could reasonably expect 1-2 depending on the signal strength and which network you're on/congestion/etc.