24Mbps/16Mbps High Speed VDSL Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter ExOblivione
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 7,237

ExOblivione

ISP
DataOne NU500
I am interested in BSNL’s VDSL plans (http://www.bsnl.co.in:9080/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/broadband/BB_highspeed_plan.html), but there doesn’t seem to be adequate information about these on BSNL’s site (shocking!) or other online sources either. I would highly appreciate it if anyone here can help me with the following concerns:

1. Are the BSNL High Speed VDSL plans provided in all cities? There doesn’t seem to be any information regarding city-by-city availability (like FTTH), so am I correct in assuming it should be everywhere?

3. Is the BSNL tech VDSL or VDSL2? I ask because of the next concern…

2. What are the limitations to keep in mind when applying for these plans? I have heard that you have to be within a certain distance from BSNL’s equipment for these plans to be viable, but what this means isn’t clear. How close do I have to be? Where is BSNL’s equipment? Is it only in the BSNL CO for the locality, or is it the cabinets BSNL has on certain streets? My house is around 800m away from the BSNL CO direct line, and 1km away via road.

3. If I am a little further away from the optimal distance, does that mean my application for the plans will be rejected, or that I will simply get a little reduced speed?

4. Will BSNL provide the modem on rent? I would like to take the plan for one month before committing for a longer period. Searching online I have read older (over 1 year old) posts about BSNL not being able to provide the required modem. Does that mean that BSNL has solved the VDSL modem problem, since I haven’t found anything new?

5. Is there anyone here having these plans, who can share their experience with me?

Can anyone here help me with the required information?

1. It's not likely.

2. Depends on when the equipment was installed, probably VDSL2 if within the last 3 years.

3a. I have heard that you have to be within a certain distance from BSNL’s equipment for these plans to be viable, but what this means isn’t clear. How close do I have to be?
For either version of VDSL to work properly, less than 1km of cable should be between you and the nearest DSLAM - whereever that might be, could be at the central office or in some cabinet.

3b. Where is BSNL’s equipment?
Only BSNL can tell you that.

3c. Is it only in the BSNL CO for the locality, or is it the cabinets BSNL has on certain streets? My house is around 800m away from the BSNL CO direct line, and 1km away via road.
Most of the cabinets I've seen around India do NOT contain the DSL termination equipment, however, your mileage may vary. Whether or not it does, if your CO is VDSL enabled, then one could assume that you could potentially receive VDSL service, even if at that distance it would be at the lower end.

4. Yes, probably, but if it's anything like their FTTH plans they will have a minimum commitment of 3 months. Your local CO should be able to inform you if they have sufficient stock of the VDSL modems, on the assumption of VDSL being available where you live.

5. Sorry, can't help you there - know a few on FTTH though. You *may* be better off with FTTH if it's available in your area, even if it's a tad more expensive.

@mgcarley: Thanks for the information. I am also looking into FTTH, but that's as a backup option in case the VDSL connection isn't available or viable. The current FTTH plans aren't as attractive to me as the VDSL ones. I don't find paying Rs. 4k for 2 Mbps UL enticing. I would rather get 16 Mbps or more with 250 GB bandwidth. I really only need 150-200 GB a month, on the outside.

I would like a couple of clarifications on your reply. Do you know if BSNL "cabinetizes" any DSLAM, anywhere? Just want to know if that's a possibility.

My current ADSL2 modem shows my signal attenuation to me 20dB. From what I have read, that means my line length is approx. 1.5km (not taking into account joints and other problems, which I know my line has). However, a friend who live less than half that distance (500m) from the same exchange, along the same path, is getting 23dB attenuation. This confuses me. Any ideas?

BTW, do you know if there are any distance-from-exchange limitations on FTTH?

@mgcarley: Thanks for the information. I am also looking into FTTH, but that's as a backup option in case the VDSL connection isn't available or viable. The current FTTH plans aren't as attractive to me as the VDSL ones. I don't find paying Rs. 4k for 2 Mbps UL enticing. I would rather get 16 Mbps or more with 250 GB bandwidth. I really only need 150-200 GB a month, on the outside.

I agree with you on the pricing front - I spoken [to them] on numerous occasions about their stupid pricing at conferences and while they're happy to stand up and argue, they've never really justified their pricing to me satisfactorily. I sure as hell don't understand why it is what it is, but hey, not my problem!

In the long run Fiber is a better option as it's the only way BSNL can go forward if only they modify their mindset and charge properly: them spending taxpayer and ISP licensees money on VDSL now is just wasteful.

I would like a couple of clarifications on your reply. Do you know if BSNL "cabinetizes" any DSLAM, anywhere? Just want to know if that's a possibility.

BSNL has some several lakh kilometers of network - I've not seen them all, but from what I have seen on my excursions outside of Mumbai, I've not seen any DSL stuff cabinetized. That being said, the trend these days is to put such equipment individually in new housing societies which means there is a distinct possibility that is has been done in some places, but where those places are I simply don't know - I would expect (hope) that in complexes built in the last 5-7 years it's done this way.

My current ADSL2 modem shows my signal attenuation to me 20dB. From what I have read, that means my line length is approx. 1.5km (not taking into account joints and other problems, which I know my line has). However, a friend who live less than half that distance (500m) from the same exchange, along the same path, is getting 23dB attenuation. This confuses me. Any ideas?

A few possible reasons: His phone line for some reason takes the scenic route to the exchange (I've seen this too often, even in first-world countries) OR his line is noisy OR his cabling is old/bad quality OR he's plugged in to different equipment than you are which isn't as good (BSNL buys from whoever is the cheapest on any given day so there's a bit of hodge-podge going on, and the equipment used in one state/city might be different from what's used in another state/city)... not knowing your area though it's a wild guess.

BTW, do you know if there are any distance-from-exchange limitations on FTTH?

80km is the upper limit on GPON, but most equipment suggests

I would love to be a fly on the wall for the meeting where BSNL executives decide the pricing structure! I wonder how the justify the insanity. Charge more in a country with lesser buying power! Great!Anyway, I am going to have a talk with the local BSNL office today, which I am dreading because of their general ignorance of what's available and viable.Why isn't Hayai starting in northern states?

If they were to cabinetize their equipment, I bet it'd get stolen. mgc is right, these days they install the dslam in the society itself.

For our locality they have installed the DSLAM and FTTH equipments in Government Municipal School which is less than 1 Km from my resident. because main CO is around 5 Kms from my resident.

Why isn't Hayai starting in northern states?

Don't have the nationwide license yet. When that changes we can start.

For our locality they have installed the DSLAM and FTTH equipments in Government Municipal School which is less than 1 Km from my resident. because main CO is around 5 Kms from my resident.

There you go 🙂

Hi, my first post on IBF. I intend to subscribe to one of the new hi-speed BB plans launched recently by BSNL in Hyderabad. Is anyone from Hyderabad aware of stores that sell VDSL/2 modems? If yes, then what kind of pricing should I expect? If no, then are there any online stores that sell them? BSNL has none in stock apparently and folks at CTC Parklane are surprisingly clueless about it. A "VDSL" seach on eBay threw up a few results of "Extenders" that are pretty darn expensive. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, my first post on IBF.

I intend to subscribe to one of the new hi-speed BB plans launched recently by BSNL in Hyderabad. Is anyone from Hyderabad aware of stores that sell VDSL/2 modems? If yes, then what kind of pricing should I expect? If no, then are there any online stores that sell them?

BSNL has none in stock apparently and folks at CTC Parklane are surprisingly clueless about it. A "VDSL" seach on eBay threw up a few results of "Extenders" that are pretty darn expensive.

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

avoid bsnl

avoid bsnl

Depends where in the country you are. East/South India: yes. North/West India: maybe not. Even @chromaniac is trying to shift to BSNL now (Airtel has got that bad for him).

****ing airtel. i have never used so many profanities for them on a public channel.

avoid bsnl

I've been a happy BSNL BB subscriber for over six years now.

Back to my query on availability of VDSL/2 modems in Hyderabad, any information would be greatly appreciated. None of the online stores that I've browsed through seem to have them either.

By the way, can one use an ADSL 2 modem with the new VDSL plans and still get the promised up/down speeds?

Back to my query on availability of VDSL/2 modems in Hyderabad, any information would be greatly appreciated. None of the online stores that I've browsed through seem to have them either.

Good luck. They're not really available on the open market.

By the way, can one use an ADSL 2 modem with the new VDSL plans and still get the promised up/down speeds?

No.