• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 5,525
Status
Not open for further replies.

anuragwam

ISP
BSNL Dataone
Hi,I live near ISI Kolkata (Dunlop) area, I am currently using BSNL's Dataone unlimited 750.I was thinking of switching to BSNL's EVDO Card with unlimited 750 plan. Will this be good enough for me?The main purpose is to chat with a relative in the US (who has very fast internet connection over there).My main concerns are:1. Upload speed (Now I get 1-2 KB/s upload and 23-24 KB/s download on Skype, which results in poor picture quality on the other end and frequent call drops)2. Disconnection (currently I've to lodge a complaint once in a month, takes 2-3 days to recover)3. Latency (shouldn't be so high that I can't video-chat comfortably)EDIT: I'm only interested in BSNL's EVDO card, so no need to post about reliance netconnect/mts/tata photon.

Have you got alliance bb in your area ?

i have used mts evdo data card and video chat is good enough with no call drops (And no internet disconnectons at all) ...(I did a video call in india...don't know how will it fair for an international video call)

Him Anuragwam. BSNL EVDO having CDMA and GSM. I am using CDMA and Getting full tower (Signal). I am using Skype and it is very good in video chatting. Check the Signal strength at you locality before going forward. If you have enough signal, BSNL Evdo is best that you can get for UL 750.

^^^ BSNL EVDO is CDMA, not and never GSM, everyone on BSNL EVDO is getting CDMA signal !

BSNL evdo has tower on top of the building of ISI.

^^^ BSNL EVDO is CDMA, not and never GSM, everyone on BSNL EVDO is getting CDMA signal !

BSNL released Capital modem that uses GSM Cards to access Internet..

^ then you must be talking about 3G data cards! in case you are to use BSNL 3G, never buy data cards from them, rather get Huawei/Micromax/Lava unlocked dongles or buy Airtel/Idea's 3G 7.2 Mbps data card @1200 and unlock free of cost at home. there are lots of such articles to help you.

Well, I made the first post on behalf of my dad. I'm in the US now, yesterday he purchased EVDO card from BSNL's Chiria More office. In fact I forced him to do so! Thought it'd improve the call quality for me. I don't know if its a CDMA/GSM modem, its black, named 'Prithvi', connects to the USB port. It cost him around Rs 1500.Today when I called him on Skype, I experienced all symptoms of poor call quality, blurry/dark video, chopped sound, echo, and Skype's warning for slow connection. It is in fact worse than Dataone. On the other end, he could hear/see me perfectly, but that was also true for the broadband. On "Call technical info", it showed that he was receiving 50KB/s but sending only 1-2KB/s, thus the awful call quality on my receiving end. I told him to remove the card and turn on the Dataone's modem, it was like before again, not much better though, but I could at least hear him properly.Is EVDO upload speed really that bad when running Skype? I feel really sorry and ashamed for wasting his money like this, he never really wanted to go for it. Also he doesn't like the new dialer interface called 'BSNL Internet Connection Manager', which has to be kept running in the background as long as he is connected to the internet.MORE INFO: 1. My dad's apartment is just under 3 minutes walking distance from ISI. 2. I told him to hang up and go to a speed-test site, which reported 0.3Mbps downlink and 0.1Mbps up.3. The dialer interface keeps showing high Tx/Rx/... value in Kbps, if only it translated well into reality!

deleted. (due to some forum problem, the previous post disappeared for a day so I had to post here again)

Hello 1st of all Data card is just Rs1199 only not Rs1500.Yes the upload speed in evdo is bit less. I strongly fell ur father 1st should have gone for a demo r asked where BST comes.

Yaa I tried video calling in INDIA with EVDO it was poor,upload speed of about 50KB/ps You need 200KB/ps for a good Skype Video call.But it is Suprising when i upload an image to facebook the upload speed is 150 KB/ps

Well, I made the first post on behalf of my dad. I'm in the US now, yesterday he purchased EVDO card from BSNL's Chiria More office. In fact I forced him to do so! Thought it'd improve the call quality for me. I don't know if its a CDMA/GSM modem, its black, named 'Prithvi', connects to the USB port. It cost him around Rs 1500.

Today when I called him on Skype, I experienced all symptoms of poor call quality, blurry/dark video, chopped sound, echo, and Skype's warning for slow connection. It is in fact worse than Dataone. On the other end, he could hear/see me perfectly, but that was also true for the broadband. On "Call technical info", it showed that he was receiving 50KB/s but sending only 1-2KB/s, thus the awful call quality on my receiving end. I told him to remove the card and turn on the Dataone's modem, it was like before again, not much better though, but I could at least hear him properly.

Is EVDO upload speed really that bad when running Skype? I feel really sorry and ashamed for wasting his money like this, he never really wanted to go for it. Also he doesn't like the new dialer interface called 'BSNL Internet Connection Manager', which has to be kept running in the background as long as he is connected to the internet.

MORE INFO:

1. My dad's apartment is just under 3 minutes walking distance from ISI.
2. I told him to hang up and go to a speed-test site, which reported 0.3Mbps downlink and 0.1Mbps up.
3. The dialer interface keeps showing high Tx/Rx/... value in Kbps, if only it translated well into reality!

What attenuation in -dbm you'r dad is receiving in the prithvi dialer?? The device is Prithvi EVDO UE100 and it looks something like this

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3933/evdojpg.jpg

And yes Upload speed is very less in EVDO.If you use Micromax evdo modem MMX 300C you can get upto 900kbps upload but that also depends. and also for good speeds you have to change the position of the device through external cables because only when all conditions like latitude,longitude and other factors are in position then only you will receive good speed with bsnl evdo otherwise not. Direct connection to PC will not help in case of BSNL.Its amazing that if I keep my chair in front of the computer table evdo speed decreases to 400kbps and when I remove the chair speed increases to 1.5mbps

Hello 1st of all Data card is just Rs1199 only not Rs1500.

Yes the upload speed in evdo is bit less. I strongly fell ur father 1st should have gone for a demo r asked where BST comes.

well 1199 is the data card cost and 350 is the activation charges so practically 1500 bucks. I get upload speeds of 120-160kbps(10-20KB/SEC) indoor.I had tested with a 10m USB cable once and had put it outside the window at that time I was getting Upload speeds of 900kbps above :O The device was not Prithvi, it was Micromax MMX300C CDMA 2000 HSIA modem 🙂 Prithvi devices are cheap make and they dont work properly with extension wires

And lastly for Skype I would suggest neither EVDo or Dataone because Upload speed of both sucks due to infrastructure constraints/limitations of ADSL and not to mention the bad routes of BSNL NIB for which latency to US servers are very poor.
Better get Cable broadband like Sify,Alliance,Meghbela they provide symmetric Upload speeds 🙂

What attenuation in -dbm you'r dad is receiving in the prithvi dialer??

-79dbm as far as I can recall (from screen sharing). I'll tell my dad to experiment with different locations in the house, may be moving near a window can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.