At&t Broadband Services Coming To India Soon

• Thread starter Thread starter hotindia
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 12,658
^ max , so it was a April first article ! 🙂
I didnt knew that Economic Times fools its readers .
( I am not a regular reader of ET . I read occassionally )

hehe. i am not a regular reader of ET either but I dont think that article has any weightage 😛

QUOTE(qwerty the man @ Oct 3 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]63999[/snapback]
But t1 speed unlimited will cost Rs.10,000/mo.
[/b]
hey man, just look at these prices....and after that u will know where we stand as compared to the developed countries, when it comes to broadband speeds & pricing.

Sky broadband UK Pricing
#Base: 2mb/s, 2gb cap, free monthly rental, £40 activation
# Mid: 8mb/s, 40gb cap, £5 monthly rental, £20 activation
# Connect: 8mb/s, 40gb cap, £17 monthly rental, £40 activation
# Max: 16mb/s, unlimited cap (with AUP), £10 monthly rental, free activation

and here's abt the performance:
speeds of up to 14MB/s have been consistently seen. For a good example of the real world application of this kind of speed, the Vista RC2 DVD with 4gb+ of data took under 15 minutes to download.[/b]

u can read the complete article here : http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34980

The 'Max' plan has no download cap and offers download speeds upto 16mb/s for just £10/month...which is about Rs. 850/month!!!! (£1=Rs.85 approx. at the current exchange rates)

and i am myself paying Rs. 1200/month approx. for a lousy 256 kbps connection to Sify. Damn!!

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 3 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]64000[/snapback]
that's cheap man.
[/b]
i hope that after reading this post u no longer feel that Rs. 10,000 for T1 speeds is cheap!

i just have one question 4 the so called indian broadband service providers.....will i be asking 4 too much if i think of getting those kind of speeds at similar prices..... till 2010 in india(when the developed markets would have perhaps reached Gbps speeds at even lower prices)? Anybody listening????

i am still looking for valid reasons people continue to ask for high speed broadband connectivity here. feel free to list VALID reasons why you think government should work hard on getting gigabit speeds for you.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 11 2006, 05:17 AM) [snapback]64844[/snapback]
feel free to list VALID reasons why you think government should work hard on getting gigabit speeds for you.
[/b]
I myself am thinking what need is there beyond ADSL2, presumably this leads to a model of TV over the net.

How viable is it ? 5 yrs from now we will know. i exepect gigabit speeds would be needed for HDTV.

We have a strong cable-wallah lobby for TV over plain cable so i don't see where the drive to go to ADSL2 will come from.

Yes to download all the worlds shit in indian pc and mindset.Afterall we are dumpyard for every kind of waste of world then y not let these people bring this junk data to india.everyone knows about the junk i am mentioning

i am still looking for valid reasons people continue to ask for high speed broadband connectivity here.

feel free to list VALID reasons why you think government should work hard on getting gigabit speeds for you.
[/b]
I wanna do video conferences. I wanna seed torrents. I wanna sync my work ( runs into gigs ) to my friend's server. Need more reasons?

i am still looking for valid reasons people continue to ask for high speed broadband connectivity here.

[/b]

I have one reason.My relatives are in the US.They wanna share videos in DVD quality like 4 GB+ but my connection sucks to download such huge data and i dont wanna say about uploading. 😀

I wanna do video conferences. I wanna seed torrents. I wanna sync my work ( runs into gigs ) to my friend's server. Need more reasons?[/b]

and you represent how much of the online population? and how much of the indian population?

I have one reason.My relatives are in the US.They wanna share videos in DVD quality like 4 GB+ but my connection sucks to download such huge data and i dont wanna say about uploading.[/b]

is that even legal? what about the basic necessity. is it a basic necessity?

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 12 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]64935[/snapback]
is that even legal? what about the basic necessity. is it a basic necessity?
[/b]
Assuming he is talking about family videos, i would have to say yes.

Many of my family members have computers, in fact i found the proportion of computer owners a bit skewed compared with the avg. population. Then i figured it out, the only reason for them to get a computer was to stay in touch with loved ones in far off lands.

Period.