A couplet of modem issues (disconnection & change-over to wifi)

झुंजार

Shorei-ryu, Shugen-do...
ISP
MTNL
Hello everyone!

i have DSL Unltd Trib 999 plan at my home.

as i write this, am facing a disconnection issue, and about to rush to the nearest tel. exchange after posting my query here. my apologies beforehand if am burdening the forum unnecessarily with the ever-so-same kind of query, but after going through several threads, i felt the need to create one of my own to get some specific responses.

1) DISCONNECTION ISSUE :

from the past 1-2 months, my modem was having trouble to connect to the net in one go. the ADSL light blinked normally, and as soon as i connected to the net and opened my browser, it used to blink in rhythm (like beats), and used to lose the connection (as if it was 'losing its grip' when i connected to the internet). after 1-2 tries only did it use to connect. the phone line DID HAVE some amount of disturbance.

however, since past 1 week, the modem refuses to connect to the net. the ADSL light keeps blinking in the same rhythmic manner described above, and the phone line now has NO disturbances at all! i registered a complaint on 198, got a docket no., and the same evening got a message that the issue has been addressed! :silly:
but obviously to the contrary, here i am.

the modem is Huawei MT882. sorry i can't show you the line stats, as there's no connection right now. but since the phone line is absolutely clear and without any disturbances at all now, may be this should give you some hint. i have 2 phone connections. these are parallel connections. Phone A, when connected to wall-socket, doesn't allow the modem to connect at all, hence i have kept it more-or-less permanently disconnected from the wall-socket.
Phone B, on the other hand, when connected to the wall-socket, allows the modem to connect, but reduces the bandwidth by half. and the 3rd room has the PC and modem connected to the wall-socket. am not quite well-versed in these issues, and hence furnished the above information hoping that it might help you to provide to me some advice on what to do.

i live in the ghodbunder road area, and the nearest exchange is the 'sahayog nagar' exchange. may be anyone of you could provide me with a lineman's personal ph. no.?! :tongue_2:

2) CHANGING OVER TO WIFI:

now since my phone line is clear, i am thinking may be the problem lies in the modem/splitter, and since i have a wifi media player and a logitech squeezebox touch, i was thinking to get the unit changed to wireless. a friend told that MTNL is now providing router+modem unit of some indian company named DNA, and its good. but after going through some threads here, am doubtful now (though they mention some other brands being given by MTNL). i also read that D-Link DSL-2750U is a good model to have personally.

could you please suggest to me whether i should get the unit from MTNL itself, or get one from the local market/online portal?! if the latter, then any other better models? my media player and music player are located in the hall, which is about 10ft away from my PC room, and has 1-2 interfering walls in the passageway.

am now off to the tel. exch. please suggest to me on the above issues. and sorry for my ineptness at writing short 🙂

thanks in advance!

From your description you clearly have a line problem which can be confirmed by the stats. Usually even if the broadband connection is disconnected you should be able to view the line stats. Try to log into the modem for the stats. I would recommend visiting the exchange & meeting the Sub Divisional Engineer (SDE) & explain the problem to him, he should sort out the problem. Remember that MTNL clearly says that the tel line coming to the house should first come to the modem/splitter then to the tel unit. Also check out the link below which I have taken from my friends @krish_88 signature MTNL Mumbai Information - India Broadband Wiki You could always write to the GM/DGM (Broadband) about the problem. Regarding buying your own unit I would suggest that you first get this problem sorted then install your own unit, else you would have to prove that it’s not YOUR unit that’s creating the problem. Unless of course you can prove technically/logically prove to them that its not so

thanks socrates!i went to the MTNL exch. after posting here. met the engr. there. she was a very friendly and polite lady. she asked me to show me the modem, and since i had carried that unit alongwith me, i showed it to her. as soon as i took the unit out, she (quite expectedly) explained that it was an outdated unit and more or less the fault could be with that modem or its splitter. she recommended to me to get a wifi unit, which i already had decided to do beforehand, and even conveyed my intention of doing this to her. she said you should get an application for the same, surrended your current unit, get the wifi one, and bring it to me to get it configured. since the phone line has also become very clear, i thought may be yes the modem has a problem. she said that since you anyway want a wifi set-up for yourself now, first try with the wifi modem+router, and if the problem still persists, then move ahead with troubleshooting line-problems. seemed a good idea to me 🙂i also told her the situation of wiring at my home. she told me the same thing what you've written above. but she said (which sometime earlier was also quoted by an MTNL gentleman to me) that the wiring arrangements had to be done by some electrician, and MTNL could not help in the case, except providing you guidance on what to do. i'll search for the electrician anyhow now. knew one earlier, though don't know his whereabouts now.so i will not buy my wifi unit for now, but get something from MTNL. if the problem is rectified, then i will see how the MTNL wifi unit performs, and if unsatisfactory, then will surrender that unit and buy one personally. also, checked the router-page. modem-status is ofcourse disconnected, and US-DS margin and rates are shown as '0'. don't know what to make out from it.

Hmm. So have you already opted for a MTNL wifi unit? What I had meant was carry on with a MTNL modem (you have paid the installation for it already) once your line problem is fixed then buy your own 2-1 piece ADSL+ modem cum wifi router of your choice & then return the MTNL piece that way you avoid the installation charge for a wifi which is 600/- (if I am not mistaken ) When you buy your own piece you can install it yourself & avoid the 600/- charge.

Hmm. So have you already opted for a MTNL wifi unit? What I had meant was carry on with a MTNL modem (you have paid the installation for it already) once your line problem is fixed then buy your own 2-1 piece ADSL+ modem cum wifi router of your choice & then return the MTNL piece that way you avoid the installation charge for a wifi which is 600/- (if I am not mistaken ) When you buy your own piece you can install it yourself & avoid the 600/- charge.

hello socrates!

am typing this from my home net-connection :w00t: :rainbow:

i got the wifi unit from MTNL today noon. i have currently connected the router through ethernet cable to the PC (as i forgot to buy the wifi dongle for PC, which i will buy soon). and i didn't get charged a single penny! no installation fee, nothing (or is it charged in the upcoming bill?!). infact, the store-guy of MTNL who gave me this brand new wifi unit shared the same name as my father, and said that since you've returned your older modem with every accessory back to us, am giving you this whole box of wifi unit with everything included in it 😛

then the polite and friendly SDE lady took the wifi unit from me, configured settings for my account on her computer, and returned me back happily from the office. very nice experience indeed 🙂

so as was suspected, the problem was not with the line, but with the older modem (the outdated Huawei MT882 model). i don't know the brand of the wifi modem+router unit i got, but a model no. is written on, which is 450TC1 could you please tell me which brand is this model from? i'll get the parallel connection issue sorted out from an electrician i know. and need to get a hang of wifi settings that i need to do (or may be nothing else is needed right now 🙂 )

UPDATE: I came to know that this is a beetel modem+router 🙂

UPDATE #2: And yes, here are my line stats too: 🙂

SNR Margin: 12.5 (DS) 10 (US)
Line Attenuation: 49.5 (DS) 31.5 (US)
Data Rate (kbps): 2048 (DS) 512 (US)
Attainable Rate (kbps): 2628 (DS) 992 (US)

in the meanwhile, am going through some posts of yours on wifi security settings, connection, some links shared by you in some threads, some posts by x720, and a few other members too to learn more. if i stagger somewhere, i may bother you. hope you don't mind 🙂

All payments will be added to your bill :rofl:. I wish you had read my posts more carefully, the polite lady is a good saleswoman for her company (bless her). If you had done what I had mentioned then you could have saved some money regarding installation. If you buy your own unit now you will save only on future rent & not on the installation.

BTW I would suggest keep your PC connected the way it is now & don't waste money on a dongle. WiFi is basically used for mobile units like your laptop/phone/tablet etc. Read http://socrates0.blogspot.in/2012/01/setting-up-of-mtnls-b450tc1-modem-cum.html carefully especially about setting the passwords for wifi & its security. What MTNL uses for password for wifi is a joke & is basically to make their life easier if they have to come & make changes to your router settings. The unit you have is labelled as Beetel but actually a Chinese unit. lol
Your attennuation is too high & if snr goes

The Line Attenuation is pretty high in your case and if SNR goes below 10, then you might face more disconnections..

hello socrates!

am typing this from my home net-connection :w00t: :rainbow:

i got the wifi unit from MTNL today noon. i have currently connected the router through ethernet cable to the PC (as i forgot to buy the wifi dongle for PC, which i will buy soon). and i didn't get charged a single penny! no installation fee, nothing (or is it charged in the upcoming bill?!). infact, the store-guy of MTNL who gave me this brand new wifi unit shared the same name as my father, and said that since you've returned your older modem with every accessory back to us, am giving you this whole box of wifi unit with everything included in it 😛

then the polite and friendly SDE lady took the wifi unit from me, configured settings for my account on her computer, and returned me back happily from the office. very nice experience indeed 🙂

so as was suspected, the problem was not with the line, but with the older modem (the outdated Huawei MT882 model). i don't know the brand of the wifi modem+router unit i got, but a model no. is written on, which is 450TC1 could you please tell me which brand is this model from? i'll get the parallel connection issue sorted out from an electrician i know. and need to get a hang of wifi settings that i need to do (or may be nothing else is needed right now 🙂 )

UPDATE: I came to know that this is a beetel modem+router 🙂

UPDATE #2: And yes, here are my line stats too: 🙂

SNR Margin: 12.5 (DS) 10 (US)
Line Attenuation: 49.5 (DS) 31.5 (US)
Data Rate (kbps): 2048 (DS) 512 (US)
Attainable Rate (kbps): 2628 (DS) 992 (US)

in the meanwhile, am going through some posts of yours on wifi security settings, connection, some links shared by you in some threads, some posts by x720, and a few other members too to learn more. if i stagger somewhere, i may bother you. hope you don't mind 🙂

All payments will be added to your bill :rofl:. I wish you had read my posts more carefully, the polite lady is a good saleswoman for her company (bless her). If you had done what I had mentioned then you could have saved some money regarding installation. If you buy your own unit now you will save only on future rent & not on the installation.

BTW I would suggest keep your PC connected the way it is now & don't waste money on a dongle. WiFi is basically used for mobile units like your laptop/phone/tablet etc. Read Socrates carefully especially about setting the passwords for wifi & its security. What MTNL uses for password for wifi is a joke & is basically to make their life easier if they have to come & make changes to your router settings. The unit you have is labelled as Beetel but actually a Chinese unit. lol
Your attennuation is too high & if snr goes

Since you've been kind enough to mention me in your thread, I'll post a detailed reply 😛

Right, money spent on installation is gone along with this month's rent. Now, you'd be better off surrendering the unit, because :

1. As you've seen, its quality isn't great
2. You'll have to pay a recurring monthly charge

While you could turn its wireless radio off, and use it a merely as modem (by connecting a standalone router to it), the monthly charge won't be worth it, more so, if you plan to stay with mtnl in the long run.

Now, what I suggest is that you get one of these -

Brand New MTNL 410TC1 Modem + Router DSL ADSL 2+ 4 lan port BSNL AIRTEL | eBay

and depending on your budget, I'll post a good wireless router.

Option 2

If you want to go for a modem-wifi router combo say so.

Option 3 (not recommended)

You continue paying the rent for the mtnl modem, and buy a good standalone router.

Setting the equipment up is very easy, you don't need to go to mtnl for that.

Since you've been kind enough to mention me in your thread, I'll post a detailed reply 😛

Right, money spent on installation is gone along with this month's rent. Now, you'd be better off surrendering the unit, because :

1. As you've seen, its quality isn't great
2. You'll have to pay a recurring monthly charge

While you could turn its wireless radio off, and use it a merely as modem (by connecting a standalone router to it), the monthly charge won't be worth it, more so, if you plan to stay with mtnl in the long run.

Now, what I suggest is that you get one of these -

Brand New MTNL 410TC1 Modem + Router DSL ADSL 2+ 4 lan port BSNL AIRTEL | eBay

and depending on your budget, I'll post a good wireless router.

Option 2

If you want to go for a modem-wifi router combo say so.

Option 3 (not recommended)

You continue paying the rent for the mtnl modem, and buy a good standalone router.

Setting the equipment up is very easy, you don't need to go to mtnl for that.

ah there you are, almost replying to the thoughts echoing in my head since last night! :welcoming:

A) I plan to stay with MTNL, and yes, i was thinking on the lines of keeping this 450TC1 and getting a stand-alone router like the Asus RT-N13U, but as you tell, this may not be a very fruitful proposition (with the continuing monthly rentals). instead, buying a 410TC1 and coupling it with the router really makes more sense.

B) Keeping the above point in mind, if i want to compare the worth of the above combo (ie, 410TC1 + RT-N13U), would it be a far better proposition than installing just a D-Link 2750U / TP-Link TD-W8961ND?! my usage criteria being -- downloading torrents and videos, etc ll using wifi to stream HD content to my media player placed in the hall, within a radius of about 20ft, and streaming music to SBT at the same place ll occasionally using wifi to browse the net on my laptop kept in adjacent room
a member on another forum suggested me to buy a modem+router single-unit as he said it could be sold off easily later on :tongue:

C) As regards to option no. 2, am not able to make up my mind on whether to purchase the DLink 2750U or TP-Link TD-W8961ND. am highly confused between the two. manu1991, a fellow-member, has recently purchased the latter model, and explains that if using the USB port is not a priority, the TP-Link model is better. everywhere am seeing mixed feedback and this is what is keeping my doubts alive and kicking 🙁

D) As i mentioned the Asus RT-N13U, you could well say that i could spend upto 3k for this venture. please suggest accordingly.

thanks a lot for your reply! 🙂

I think you should go in for a 2-1 unit which supports g/n. A '2-1' unit has less cables going around. 🙂

2-in-1 as in 'modem+router' single-unit, isn't it? yes i agree with your point, since cable-management is a heavy priority too for me. the back of my desk looks like yesteryear's anil kapoor's chest!

though let us wait a while for what x720 also suggests, esp. regarding the worth/capability of a 2-in-1 unit as compared to a wired modem + separate router combo 🙂

I always prefer to keep the modem and router seperate because in the case of a failure, I'll have to replace only one unit. After all, its only one extra lan cable and a power cable. I'm not very about whether it provides any performance benefit. I've been using a combo of beetel 110TC1 and the Asus RT N13U for my bsnl connection and a Buffalo WHR-G300N for my ftth connection, haven't had amy issues so far. Both routers cover my place sufficiently. I can only imagine you wanting to sell the equipment in the event that you decide to switch to cable internet, having a standalone router would help as it can be used with any connection. You, then, would only have to sell the 410TC1. Since, the RT N13U supports 3G/EVDO dongles, I guess, you wouldn't find the need to sell it.