National Telecom Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter xred
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 240
  • Views Views 47,663
100mbps after 2015? nice. 😀rool ():

wont 😛

There may be chances to have 100mbps by 3015.

First of all why u all want 100 mbps, even countries like USA dont have 100mbps every where, but they get minimum 30 mbps for sure

First of all why u all want 100 mbps, even countries like USA dont have 100mbps every where, but they get minimum 30 mbps for sure

US growth in telecom broadband sector is slow in comparison with other countries obviously excluding India but at some places, they still have that much speed or nearer to 100mbps speed. At&t U-verse and Verizon FiOS are very demanding products.
In some enterprises and universities, you will definitely observe that much of speed during less usage hours.

Here, you can see result.
Harvard Uni.
Harvard University Broadband Speed Test - YouTube
Drexel uni.
Drexel University internet speed 700mb-s - YouTube
Lynn Uni. (199.189.193.8 - United States IP. Detailed location, ISP and more info.)
Lynn University Internet Speed Test - YouTube

I agree they are measuring to nearest server but it doesn't fluctuate much even at far servers.

Even we have some location in India. We get that much speed but not above 50mbps.
I.e. lovely professional university, Sharda University may be SRM universiy and sikkim manipal uni.
Especially sharda uni. has impressive IT infrastructure, Technology | Sharda University.

Some Centrally funded university/institutes may have high speed.

Verzion intros FiOS Quantum, officially priced up to 300Mbps -- Engadget

May be a little off topic but certainly worth a look. After seeing this, I just feel that we are just another third world country. Just pasting some of the comments from the same article-
"masterBrain 1 hour ago
I was using a 1Gbps connection from KDDI here in japan some time ago. That time (almost an year ago before i disconnected) it cost me 5800 yen per month. But after using it for 1 year, i disconnected it and switched to a cheaper and slower 100Mbps plan. Things that i have learned:
- Above 100Mbps, your last mile connection is no longer the bottleneck. The only time i could fill that bandwidth was when downloading some linux ISO using torrents.

- Even if they promise upto 1Gbps speed, most of the overseas connections have less bandwidth. So this 1Gbps promised speed is available only if your other peer is also in the same country.

so untill they improve the whole backbone-bandwidth of Internet all over the world, more than 100Mbps gives you nothing more than bragging rights.."

"Mace Moneta 2 hours ago
"The real question is can one even take advantage of these crazy speeds"

You're kidding, right? I run gigabit at home between all systems, and can sustain over 90MB/sec (720Mb/sec) between our 3-year old desktops - and that's just with a single file copy. There are countries where gigabit is the norm, and available for a tenth the price Verizon is charging."

"Fortress of Solitude 2 hours ago
Sure, take 300 Mb/s. Fine print will say that you can only download something like 200 GB. My family has Comcast, and we definitely use over 15 GB/day. I know it seems like a lot, but in this era, NOT really
Cloud Storage transfer takes atleast 2 GB/dayConstant IPTV streaming all day takes atleast 5 GB/dayNetflix streaming takes away atleast 3 GB/day. Downloading crap on our mobile devices takes atleast 1 GB/dayYouTube takes away atleast 2 GB/dayXBox Live takes away atleast 2 GB/day
Downloading Torrents takes away atleast 5 GB/day
Web surfing isn't even included in this. I feel sorry for podcasters and such.

This is with a family of 6 people. Bare minimum of an average. Verizon can suck my dick with their data cap. I have comcast 15/8. I can download a 1GB movie within 7 minutes. If I do need to download other crap like torrents, I usually don't wait in front of my PC anyways...I start downloads in morning and check back during the evening."

Prolly comes in handy in sending out spam emails claiming you have won a prize. (Nigerian 414 scams)They require higher bandwidth for these kind of mails apparently!

Let's stop dreaming of getting >512 Kbps without any FUPs in this century atleast and put an end to this discussion.Really these bloody telecom companies are cheating on us.They are capable of providing 2 Mbps without any FUPs.Offcourse we're lagging behind many countires in the field of IT but not by much.Other countries are getting 10, 20 even 30 Mbps but we are getting "Kbps" not even a "Mbps"? Lol this is a joke, it really is.

Airtel needs to make the post-FUP speed relative to the original speed of the plan. All Plans at variable speeds reducing to 256 kbps is ridiculous. What then is the incentive to pay more for a higher speed when the datacap and the post-FUP speed are same for all speeds?

If that's not possible, they should at least set the post-FUP speed at 512 Kbps which itself is pathetic in this day and age.

I was speaking with a friend in US yesterday. He pays $45 for a 20/6 connection with a 200gig soft cap. There is a cap but they dont throttle/charge you if you go over. His usage this month:

20/6 connection?At higher speeds, you can just keep streaming HD or download & delete. Shouldn't be too tough, more so if you have multiple users.

what do you download to reach 666GB? Hell my harddisk is 320GB
He says his average usage per month is 700 GB. As for downloading, there's no shortage of stuff to download, especially in HD.