@airtel_presence National Telecom Policy mandates 512kbps as minimum broadband speed

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
National Telecom Policy 2012 states that minimum broadband speed now is 512kbps. Here is a copy:

National Telecom Policy - 2012

The problem is that your plans still downgrade to 256kbps after fair usage policy limits are crossed.

Here are your plans:

Airtel Broadband tariff plans for Delhi

My question is... When are you going to update your plans to meet the new requirements of the National Telecom Policy 2012?

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
Presumably on the day the NTP actually comes in to effect, and not a minute sooner :DNow can you see why we aren't even bothering with 512/1/2mbps plans?

Crazysah

Arsenal FTW!
Regulars
Oct 12, 2006
And when will the NTP actually come into effect?

balajik

Regular
Regulars
Jul 14, 2005
Chennai
Airtel needs to make the post-FUP speed relative to the original speed of the plan. All Plans at variable speeds reducing to 256 kbps is ridiculous. What then is the incentive to pay more for a higher speed when the datacap and the post-FUP speed are same for all speeds?

If that's not possible, they should at least set the post-FUP speed at 512 Kbps which itself is pathetic in this day and age.

I was speaking with a friend in US yesterday. He pays $45 for a 20/6 connection with a 200gig soft cap. There is a cap but they dont throttle/charge you if you go over. His usage this month:

mhsabir

Xclusive
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
20/6 connection?At higher speeds, you can just keep streaming HD or download & delete. Shouldn't be too tough, more so if you have multiple users.

balajik

Regular
Regulars
Jul 14, 2005
Chennai
what do you download to reach 666GB? Hell my harddisk is 320GB
He says his average usage per month is 700 GB. As for downloading, there's no shortage of stuff to download, especially in HD.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
right. people in america have the option to subscribe to netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus etc etc. and they can stream content on demand instead of download it and storing content locally for viewing. at 20mbps, there is in fact no need to download and save data. you just stream when you want to. i had do the same if legal streaming services were available and speed/bandwidth was not a concern.

Amit5576

Jun 14, 2012
right. people in america have the option to subscribe to netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus etc etc. and they can stream content on demand instead of download it and storing content locally for viewing. at 20mbps, there is in fact no need to download and save data. you just stream when you want to. i had do the same if legal streaming services were available and speed/bandwidth was not a concern.

Yo dumbass, you can access all that content with a Free US VPN too. You don't need to be in the USA for that

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
who's the dumbass here calling me a dumbass? downloading content through torrents is illegal. watching american content using vpns is also going to be illegal unless you subscribed to the service as an american. it's all about the technical details.