Need a TV Tuner Card

• Thread starter Thread starter sudeepgmr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,821

sudeepgmr

ISP
Relince
Bought Tata Sky hd stb yesterday. It has no recording option. I want to buy an internal tv tuner card, preferably with HDMI input and with recording possiblity. Any suggestions?Sys Specs : P4 Dual core 2.8 Ghz, 2GB ramBudget < 8k

If you dont mind me asking, why didn't you get the recorder from Tata Sky itself? It'd have been cheaper than any other solution, with better video quality for recordings, and way more easier to use (double tuners, series recordings, no need to worry about a pc).

If you dont mind me asking, why didn't you get the recorder from Tata Sky itself? It'd have been cheaper than any other solution, with better video quality for recordings, and way more easier to use (double tuners, series recordings, no need to worry about a pc).

I knw. It was seriously stupid. Can you suggest a tuner card atleast for watching live. I bought a cheap one and had to deal with screen sliding and flickering at bad quality. 🙁

i hada pinnacle tv tuner few yrs back. the pic quality was quite good & clear. if u want something better try hauppauge. i don't knw if its available anymore in india.

btw. how well does a tv tuner card work with dth services? from what i know, you would not be able to use the remote or software controls. it would just stream the content from the dth to the computer. not even sure how the recording feature would work.

it will just record the channel you are tuned to. dats it. u change channels via the dth remote !! its a messy and useless way to do things. unless u get a universal remote ..then u cud use a single one. i m nto sure how the hell he is going to schedule recordings !!

exactly. he cannot change the channel from the software so he cannot record program that are not currently turned on manually using the STB remote. dth has pretty much made tv tuner cards useless.

exactly. he cannot change the channel from the software so he cannot record program that are not currently turned on manually using the STB remote.

dth has pretty much made tv tuner cards useless.
Most (if not all) tv tuner cards come with an ir blaster. You connect it to your tv tuner card and stick it somewhere near the STB. Then after a little configuration, your computer can replicate your stb remote and change the channel whenever it wishes. It's nowhere near a perfect solution (it's messy, tricky to configure sometimes, it won't know if someone changed the channel using stb remote, it won't know if there is a power cut for a few minutes and your stb reboots to channel 100) but it is doable.

For the op, I still recommend going for Tata Sky recorder. You are willing to spend 8000 on a tuner card. Just spend 4000 on tata sky box instead. You should be gettin some refund for returning your current stb too. Call the CC and see how much they offer. May be even tell them that you wanted the recorder box since you saw this in ads but didn't realise there were non recording STBs too. Who knows you'll get lucky and they'll refund you totally. And even if they don't, it's 4000 Rs max anyways.

thank u. Does the pinnacle card has hdmi input?
when i owned the pinnacle hdmi wasn't born !! lol
u r better off getting a sky hd + bro. tv tuner thingy wasn't a perfect solution back then and it even more messy now thanks to dth.

i m nto sure how the hell he is going to schedule recordings !!

I guess he can do two steps:

1. Set the STB to change to Channel X at the particular time when the desired program starts.

2. Set the TV Tuner software to record at the same time!

Better get Tata Sky+. First get the programs u want to record to STB. Then record full or parts of those programs to ur computer using TV tuner card at ur leisure.There are many tv tuners cards, but most of them records in Standard Definition (Max resolution 720x576). If you want to record in HD try Avermedia tv tuner cards.