• Thread starter Thread starter AvidWatcher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 2,956

AvidWatcher

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 1 mbps Unlimited, Vodafone 3G
For Mumbai:Replacing D-Link 502T Router to Wireless Router through MTNL. Is it worth it? How can I go about doing this? Will a call suffice and their lineman come and change it?Thanks!

Do you want to change it with your own unit?or do you want MTNL to change it with another of their own? What is the reason you want to change the modem?If it the first question then you have to amke a written application (In triplicate, I was told so at Prabhadevi exchange) signed by person in whose name the connection exists that you want to return the MTNL unit as you want to replace one of your choice. Also mention that you want to continue using the broadband connection. lol yes that's necessary. 😀If its the second or third question then you will have to provide a good reason for wanting the change unless you know someone at the exchange. 🙂

Do you want to change it with your own unit?
or do you want MTNL to change it with another of their own?
What is the reason you want to change the modem?

If it the first question then you have to amke a written application (In triplicate, I was told so at Prabhadevi exchange) signed by person in whose name the connection exists that you want to return the MTNL unit as you want to replace one of your choice. Also mention that you want to continue using the broadband connection. lol yes that's necessary. 😀
If its the second or third question then you will have to provide a good reason for wanting the change unless you know someone at the exchange. 🙂

Thanks for your response.

I wish to change it to access MTNL BB on my Galaxy S 2 / iPad 2.

If I call their helpline, would they send someone to replace it? Are you serious about providing a good reason to change from wired to wireless modem? I thought that since I'm paying Rs 50 per month, I can change it without any hassle.

I don't wish to bring my own wireless modem, since I'm experiencing constant disconnection issues (despite following tips provided in this forum for the same issue).

Oh ok you want to change from wired to wireless then a 'good reason' is not necessary lol as they will make 600/- as installation 😀 even if you the installation 😀. Also make sure you secure your wifi network with WPA2 , also use MAC filtering dont rely on the MTNL guys to do everything for you. See http://socrates0.blogspot.in/ there are point about wifi security & also some useful links.
If you are facing DC then maybe a visit to the exchange might help. Let them check the line first. Which exchange are you on?

Oh ok you want to change from wired to wireless then a 'good reason' is not necessary lol as they will make 600/- as installation 😀 even if you the installation 😀. Also make sure you secure your wifi network with WPA2 , also use MAC filtering dont rely on the MTNL guys to do everything for you. See Socrates there are point about wifi security & also some useful links.
If you are facing DC then maybe a visit to the exchange might help. Let them check the line first. Which exchange are you on?

Rs 600 wtf? I would rather spend some more and buy my own. I'm actually waiting for Reliance Infotel's LTE offering.

You mean exchange location?

decent wifi routers actually cost more than 1500 bucks.