Need some information on Metro Ethernet

mops

[OP]
Regulars
Jun 4, 2012
I recently saw "Metro Ethernet", now I'm not familiar with this but my a friend of mine told me it's BB on a 1:4 ratio and I would like to know if Tata is providing such a service. I would also like the detailed pricing etc. & the differences from regular.Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
Your friend is wrong. Metro Ethernet is the technology used and has nothing to do with the contention ratio.

Most of the cable operators in the Mahim area operate (rather badly designed) fiber to the building networks, although I know at least RVNET (at Sitladevi Temple Road) is improving theirs marginally, as they've started removing all the shoddy old copper cable TV cabling. What this basically means is that there is a cable coming in your window which will fit in your laptop or whatever without having to have a modem or anything.

In my building, for example, there is 2 16-port switches connecting to 1 fiber - this doesn't really have anything to do with contention ratio because there's no way for anybody to measure what I've got, as the service my neighbour has is likely to be provided by a completely different ISP than mine, for example, In2Cable versus HNS versus Sify, who will each have different contention ratios at their network borders.

Anyway, on to your question: Tata does have Metro Ethernet plans but as far as I know, not in Mahim, only in South Mumbai (as in, south of Tardeo), and it's not cheap. They surely have agreements with cable operators in other areas but having never attempted to purchase Tata service, I can't tell you who/what/where. Most of Tata's other plans are provided either by ADSL or Wireless, and they're still not cheap. They've got 3 websites/brands now all offering different types of service, so it's actually hard to choose which plan would be available, though this may be your best bet Tata Indicom Broadband 2.0

Hope this helps.

mops

[OP]
Regulars
Jun 4, 2012
-comment deleted by user-

Last edited:

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
Metro Ethernet is a hell of a lot better than DSL in most cases. By changing to an ethernet solution you'd save maybe 5-30ms depending on the configuration of the line, but it would have to be available to you, and I think most of Tata's plans are provided on DSL anyway, except for their super-high-speed offerings. In any case, depending on the physical location of the server, good luck getting improved ping times: Tata is the only Tier-1 network in India and in most cases has the best ping times to any given major city in the world.If you want, give me an IP address or 3 to ping and I'll see what can be had from a couple of different ISPs that would be available on your local cable op. Which street do you stay in?

mops

[OP]
Regulars
Jun 4, 2012
Metro Ethernet is a hell of a lot better than DSL in most cases. By changing to an ethernet solution you'd save maybe 5-30ms depending on the configuration of the line, but it would have to be available to you, and I think most of Tata's plans are provided on DSL anyway, except for their super-high-speed offerings.

In any case, depending on the physical location of the server, good luck getting improved ping times: Tata is the only Tier-1 network in India and in most cases has the best ping times to any given major city in the world.

If you want, give me an IP address or 3 to ping and I'll see what can be had from a couple of different ISPs that would be available on your local cable op. Which street do you stay in?

s2games.com (Michigan) 260ms
173.192.105.18 (USW) 266
173.193.201.231 (USE) 258ms
188.40.106.82 (DE) 152ms

Ping increases in-game by +50/60

@OP

Have you had a look at tata's new plans ? Quite reasonable.

Yes I have, they sure offer a great speed for that cost but it isn't unlimited sadly.

Last edited:

donald.t

Nov 22, 2012
Metro ethernet is a layer-2 transport thing, it does not use their ethernet signalling on their transport cabling. It is completely a sales term.

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
Metro ethernet is a layer-2 transport thing, it does not use their ethernet signalling on their transport cabling.
It is completely a sales term.

Depends on the architecture - most of the MANs around here are cobbled together as basically a series of switches connected with either good old cat5 or fiber (connected to a simple media convertor).

Most of the cable operators deploying these networks aren't really deploying anything decent like GPON (what the Aussies are getting), only a small number are.